Ruger Forum banner

What is your cheapest shotgun that you really like?

24K views 139 replies 118 participants last post by  Bill in VA 
#1 ·
I paid $ 199,99 for my Mossberg Maverick 88,12 Ga.Pump Shotgun.It's really a very good shotgun for the price I paid for it.

Attachments

See less See more
#136 ·
I have a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, presumably 'youth model'. It looks as though it was used to paddle a canoe home on more than one occasion. Came with a pistol grip (which I never used) and a youth sized 12 gauge stock which is noticeably thicker than the receiver, the barrel is 18 1/2". I offered $100 and my friend said he'd take $80. It works fine but more importantly it fits smaller kids quite well and is light enough for them to hold it up easily, several who were struggling to break a clay pigeon shot surprisingly well when they got to try it.
I keep thinking that I should thin up the stock and try to make the gun 'prettier' but it is out on loan to someone (with smaller shooters) far more often than it is here.

Bruce

#137 ·
First Mossberg 500 that I owned I bought around 1969 or so, and it was actually a Montgomery Ward Westernfield branded Mossberg 500. The thing I really like about the Mossberg 500 is the top receiver mount thumb safety. Otherwise I actually prefer the Remington 870, but the little safety button under and behind the trigger is not as user friendly.

#139 ·
The cheapest would be my Dickinson 'Marine'. I bought it in 2015 from Big 5 Sporting Goods, for about $300 if IIRC.
The XX3D-M (Marine, stainless/matte) Pump, in 12ga, 5+1, 20" bbl. Other than a great HD/SD gun, it also uses B&B chokes. It's been a great addition to the few shotguns I own. I've never had any issues with it at all. I brought up the chokes it uses because besides the HD/SD choke I use the carlson 'rifled' choke for the1 1/8 oz slug loads or change to a 'modified' choke for quail/dove 7 1/2 shot in heavy mesquite around here. The 20" bbl is just long enough for those shots w/o a longer bbl getting interfered with. I love it and it has worked very well for me. Stock Photo:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Cylinder

#140 · (Edited)
A very hard question to answer because it cheapest in dollars actually spent or on what it would cost now?

So, in dollars spent, it would be my Beretta Silver Essential O/U. Why? Because I won it in a Friends of the NRA Raffle. So it cost $10.

But in the true spirit of the question, I would say my first Mossberg 590, followed by my 870 Remington Wingmaster. My purchased shotguns have all been Remington and Mossberg for the simple reason of overall popularity denotes lots of future parts availability. Cheaper might be nice, but if lack of parts support orphans it, it is basically worthless. I do not support disposable firearms due to non-existant product support. Those 2 makers have a lot of parts availablity and a massive amount of US aftermarket support.

However, I have never had to actually buy a part for either due to breakages. All my parts purchases have been for potential repairs and/or upgrades. For instance a Remington 870 LE Monte Carlo synthetic stock on my 870P brings the rifle sights to dead on at first shouldering, unlike hte non-Monte Carlo. Then there is replacing the Remington 'marshmallow' soft cushioned butt pad that deteriorates or deforms from standing on its butt, with the older style that is harder but lasts forever.

Reactions: maddmatter1970
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.