Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bulk ammo do you like to stock up on and why ?
Please don't respond to tell us that the only .22 ammo worth shooting is Eley Tenex ( or fill in the blank with your favorite Match ammo). Most of us aren't competition shooters but plinkers and casual small game hunters.
We look for cheap ammo that still does the job.

There is a greater risk of ammo being damaged by packaging it all thrown together in a box, but not all Bulk ammo is the same.
The last two boxes of Winchester ammo I bought (M-22 and 555 round bulk box) I ended up giving away after shooting some of them.

The M-22 had maybe 20 % of the rounds with bullets bent way off to the side, some cases severely dented where they wouldn't chamber ( and many more with lesser dents) and a dozen loose bullets in the box.
There weren't any empty primed cases or spilled powder, so I'm not sure how the loose bullets ended up in the box. Those M-22s that would chamber were pretty accurate and all fired.
The bulk 555 round count Winchesters must have had thicker rims, as after being chambered in several of my rifles, wouldn't extract reliably.
And some wouldn't go off.

I have been buying a couple 550 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullets every few weeks and have quite a stock now.
While not the most accurate load in all my rifles ( that usually goes to CCI Mini- Mags or RWS Field Line), the Remingtons are pretty decent in all of the rifles. I have yet to see a damaged round in any of the boxes, and all I've shot in the last year ( around 4500 rounds) have all gone off.
More people badmouth Remington ammo than all others combined, but I have had zero issues. 10-15 years ago there were fail to fire issues due to uneven priming compound, but Remington got their act together and has been producing ammo as reliable as any.

Some guys say that this or that ammo is too dirty, but all .22 ammo is pretty dirty, especially when fired from a blow back semi-auto.
I like plated ammo for the simple reason that leading, or having to handle bare lead, is not an issue.
I avoid ammo like Thunderbolt and Blazer for that reason. I'd just rather not handle and shoot bare lead.
The cast bullets I load for my "Cowboy" guns are traditional cast bullets with a thin plating of copper over them, made by HSM.

I recently have been thinking I should try some Federal ammo.
I had bad experiences with it years ago fired in a Kimber 1911 .22 Conversion, but that was just one gun, that was somewhat picky.
It fired Winchester Super-X and CCI Mini-mags just fine.
It wouldn't even function with the Federals, and many wouldn't go off.

Lat week I bought a box of Federal American Eagle. A bit more costly that most bulk as you only get 400 rounds in a brick for the same $25 price.
I took it out and fired 5 different brands out of 3 of my rifles, and the Federal came in dead last in all 3.
Too bad, as I really wanted to like it, nice looking ammo packed in plastic trays so they don't touch. Maybe in other rifles they would be better, but the 3 rifles I shoot the most didn't like it.

The 100 round packs of CCI Mini-mags have always shot great, accurate and consistent in just about everything I've tried them in.
But at $7 a pack, $35 per 500, they are more expensive for general use.
I always have several hundred on hand for hunting.

A round that shoots as Mini-Mags well in some, but not all guns is the RWS High Velocity Hollow Point. It is in RWS "Field Line" along with their lead Subsonic HP round.
Some places sell them for $8 a box ( $80 a brick), but SG ammo in Oklahoma sells bricks of RWS for $24 each.
That's as cheap as most economy ammo like Fed Champion/Rem Golden/Winchester bulk.

The RWS are very consistent like CCI but much more affordable if you buy them by the brick from SG Ammo.
The Subsonic round is some of the most accurate non Match ammo I've tried, and the huge HP cavity (wax filled) puts quite the wallop on small game.
They are beautifully packaged in foil boxes with plastic dividers like quality Match ammo. The one downside to the RWS is the heavy waxy coating on each round. I usually wipe some of it off before loading them.

So what are your favorites to stock up on ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I buy mini mags and cci sv. I get them from target sports usa in bulk. I think they come out to .06 and .05 respectively. I buy 5,000 at a time. Free shipping. I don’t shoot as many .22’s as I used to, but they are always there when I need them.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I dont know if I have a particular favorite. I have recently really started shooting a measurable amount of rimfires in probably the last year. While I have always loved .22 rimfires, the last shortage, I just kind of noped out of anything I couldnt reload.

That said, for bulk, lately, I have been shooting through a box of Winchester M22 500 pack. Seems ok, and accurate enough. Problem is that I am getting probably 20% misfire, and of that 20%, probably 25% will fire if I rotate the cartridge in the chamber and hit it again. Before that, I had a big bulk pack of the Federal Champion, and while I think it wasnt quite as accurate, it wasnt horrible and probably had 5% misfires. I also have a bucket of Remington Golden Bullets for a rainy day, but that has sat on the shelf for probably 5 years and still hasnt been cracked open.

Like most, my preferred is CCI. I always have a bunch of Mini-mags around, and actually, I shoot a lot of their quiet stuff through a suppressor.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,683 Posts
I was going to recommend CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Auto Match, or Blazer ammo but you don't want lead bullets. Remington Gold Bullets, Federal bulk HV hollow points, and Aguila Super Extra HV solids are good choices for plated/copper washed ammo. They all work fine in various rifles and handguns of mine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had no issues with Aguila Super Extra HV CP 40 gr. I like this ammo.

Say what you want but..I also use Thunderbolts for range plinking. Probably 10 failures in multiple bricks of rounds. Some fail to fire and some bent bullets. I've fired some 500 rnd boxes with no failures at all.

I've also have had good luck with CI 40 gr. HV Copper Plated ammo

I have a couple of bricks of Federal Auto Match. I haven't tried this one out yet.

I buy CCI Mini Mags also. I keep those in stock since they are usually the more expensive rounds.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I take whatever I can find on a dealers shelf as long as the price isn't outrageous .
Presidential election can trigger panic buying and gross shortages followed by huge price increases. I wont be caught flat footed again ... been 22 buying & hoarding .

Latest bulk packages purchased , Federal AutoMatch , Target Grade Performance, Optimized for semi-auto firearms , 40 gr. solid @ 1200 fps . 325 round pack .
For the price it is great ammo in 10/22 , MKI and MKII ... I LIKE IT !
Gary

·
Registered
458 Posts
Great info. Have recently read some of the great articles on .22 ammo and there are some would like to try... but my experience is primarily with all the major bulk brands where some guns are picky or not. Worst luck was m22 but may depend on gun, and have not tried in all my guns.

The only semi-premium rimfire ammo have used is CCI-MM... it usually functions well but accurate in some of my guns over others. One gun did not like extraction. I think different guns like different ammo, generally.

The least amount of problems in past 20 years using bulk are Remington plated or golden. If gun is freshly cleaned, always get good groups at 20 yards or so but needs cleaning in short order to maintain. But I remember in my teens, Federal did great but did not precision shoot any then.

Great groups you have. As far as rimfire accuracy in my guns, 22 wmr in Marlin bolt was as good as the Kimber 22lr of the 80s or 90s but wmr still had better range. When younger, did not like shooting paper so would shoot white plastic caps off plastic bottles for practice then chew on bottle down to neck, then the squirrels. Both 22lr & wmr.

With even a less expensive bushnell 4x32 scope, all bulk ammo have tried in semi autos, had always been able to reliably take head or heart/lung shots at fox squirrels. Quite a few beyond 25 yards.

·
Banned
195 Posts
I was going to recommend CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Auto Match, or Blazer ammo but you don't want lead bullets. Remington Gold Bullets, Federal bulk HV hollow points, and Aguila Super Extra HV solids are good choices for plated/copper washed ammo. They all work fine in various rifles and handguns of mine.
Ditto.
Federal ammo in the Blue Box for rifles. Love the Remington Golden for Pistols and revolvers. Love the Aguila Inceptor for small barrel handguns.

Federal Blue box for the Phoenix HPA22.cal That I train with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I look for and buy the cheapest of the cheap.. Terrible rounds no one else want??.. I'll take all you got, just make it dirt cheap.. I have 4 22.LR guns- Ruger 10/22
Ruger 22/45
Ruger SR 22
NAA mini LR/.22WMR
revolver

I am probably lucky, but each of these guns shoots each and every cheap round I feed them with almost no issues.. Once in a blue moon maybe 1 in a hundred rounds I'll get a weak round that will fail to eject fully, but I just pull it out in a second and go back to shooting.. I have had maybe one or two 'duds" that didn't fire in a thousand or so rounds..

Some .22 guns are very particular.. we had a walther that only wanted premium .22 ammo, it would NOT tolerate the bulk cheap target stuff.. Since i got the 3 Rugers several years ago, i never had a problem.. All 3 will fire the cheapest .22 i can find, with no issues... bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never had a problem with CCI Mini-Mags in anything I own. Everything else, I have had at least one Rimfire that didn't like it.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I'm not that particular about absolute accuracy with my rimfire guns so whatever is on sale is my new favorite brand. As long as it goes bang I'm good. Same with 22mag.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,633 Posts
Ditto.
Federal ammo in the Blue Box for rifles. Love the Remington Golden for Pistols and revolvers. Love the Aguila Inceptor for small barrel handguns.
Federal Blue box for the Phoenix HPA22.cal That I train with.
Whiskeyshooter,
Is that "40-grain solid Champion 22LR 1240 fps" in the picture. I am now testing out different ammo beside CCI and Golden Bullets. Having fun finding out what works with my firearms. May try more Federal next.
*HPA22, SR22's, Mark III 22/45, LCR and LCRx.
*You can not beat the Phoenix in my opinion for training and plinking.
*Good info in this thread for me. Good timing.
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
One of the local stores frequently offers CCI MiniMags at $12 for 2 of 100-round boxes, so I stock up on those.

Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity (copper plated) or Standard Velocity (lead) are another favorite (usually ~$19-22/brick).

Norma Tac-22 (SV) runs a little higher, but has been very good.

Federal Automatch is also reliable and accurate in my .22 pistols.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like CCI Std but it isn't plated. If your rifle likes Remington Golden bullets just buy them. You said that you got no misfires with them, I'll have to try them again. I quit using them many years ago because of misfires. They were accurate enough in my Mark II pistol but a misfire is bad news in a match.
CCI Tactical is good in my 10/22s but it isn't the cheapest stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I mostly shoot CCI Mini Mags as my Walther pistoling is picky. Second place goes to Remington GB’s in the tub.

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
I've become quite a fan of the Remington Golden Bullets 36 gr. They have proven to be extremely reliable (knock on wood!!!), especially in the .22 handguns we have here. I've noticed that the handguns can be pretty sensitive to ammo issues, and failures to extract or eject can be common.
But, we just don't get those with the Remington GB's.
If I need to make sure the handguns are reliable, I'll switch to CCI Velocitors. They work very well, and have enough energy to ensure good functioning, although I don't know that they count as bulk ammo..

I agree on the 10/22's, they will shoot just about anything, and ask for more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts