Ruger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The cheap Hi-Velocity bulk stuff, like Remington, Win., or Federal in my Mks II and III. I replaced the recoil spring assembly in both with the Volquartsen unit and the stiffer spring for HV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like CCI Ar tactical. Not the cheapest but accurate, relatively clean, consistent and perfect feeding in my Mark IIs. I caught a sale at Midway and got some for silhouette shooting.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
I like the blue box Federal 525 round Value Pack.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find it very subjective, even for me. Each of my 22s is different.

Here are some tests I performed with a 10/22 on a variety of ammo that had I had had some success with in other guns. Some bulk and some not. I had previously been using mostly Federal Champion for bulk shooting and Mini Mags for target and squirrels. Some are 5 shot groups (lighter colored pictures) and some are 10 shot groups all at 40 yards. Vertical groups are generally due to wide velocity variations, horizontal groups are generally due to imperfections in the bullet.

I might mention that I tried some Aguila high velocity ammo later and it was ALMOST as accurate as the standard velocity. It is currently $2.49 per box of 50 at Academy Sports. As a result of these tests, I used the SK in a precision rimfire match and tied for first place. And I have switched from Mini Mags to Aguila HV for my squirrel load, and for rimfire steel matches.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been having a lot of luck in my S&W 617 using Federal BYOB. Accurate and reliable. For my Mark IVs I use Blazer. The price is right, at about $19.00 a Brick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just plink with a Walther PPK/S in .22 and it likes CCI Mini Mags and Remington GB’s. I currently have two 1,400 round buckets of GB’s, and still working on a large multipack of Mini Mags. I use either of these in my Henry Mares Leg even though it shoots just about anything. I just keep things simple. At the cost of these two brands it makes little sense to me to use something else. Things may change about the price or availability change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aguila Super Extra, works perfectly in all my semi autos. Acuuracy is really good and no FTF like you get with Winchesters and Remingtons.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Im a little late to the thread. I used to love the Remington golden bullets for bulk. Bu the last few boxes. I had more duds and under powered rounds than i would with thunderbolts. I changed to the Winchester 555. So far i have been doing well with those.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
After living through the great 22 shortage where there were no 22 ammo to be had and then there was the limit of 2 -50 round boxes of whatever they had at double the cost.

I'm happier than a clam at high tide to find any bulk ammo , at any sale price and I don't much care who made it . I'll take whatever I can get and make it work .

I still buy up 22LR when there is a good sale even though I will never live long enough to shoot all the ammo i have hoarded up. When I go I'm not leaving any money...there will be nothing but boxes of 22 LR's for the heirs to fight over !
Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Remington Golden Bullets are cheap, and i'll tell ya' they feed good in everything i own including a Beretta Bobcat which has a rep for being picky.. I think Rem GB has an unfairly bad reputation... bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
CCI Mini mags shoot good in my 10 22, & that's all I buy. If I were burning through several hundred rounds a month, I would prob be lookin at other choices, but the mini mags are what I zeroed with, & I don't shoot a lot. They are worth the money.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's almost that we now take what you can get. On this thread 7 months ago I said $18.99 a brick of 500 22lr rounds of Aguila from Targetsports.com. I wish I listened to myself back then.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How is "bulk" defined? Loose-packed rounds in boxes of hundreds or case quantities of rounds packaged in little plastic keepers? I define it as the former and my 22s prefer Federal blue box for Cu-washed and Win M22 for lead.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,620 Posts
My go to ammo for awhile now is Golden Bullets for the range. Took the advice from a member here and stocked up on them last year. They work in all my rimfires and are good for me. I also have made a effort to try Blazers, Federal, Aquila and CCI Mini-Mags. My stock and backup stock has been a Gods Send and with the current climate I am glad I have a reserve. Bulk=? Depends on your needs and access these days. I have batch's of many brands and happy to take them to the range. Now that some of my rimfires are broken in they even shoot standard velocity. So testing and fun continues while training. The only one I have trouble with is some Winchester and I have plenty of that too. There are many rimfire ammo snobs out there and I now am looking to shoot for accuracy when the current ammo issues get resolved. Some rimfire shooters really know their ammo and you can learn from them if you have a thick skin. Sorry for the rant again here and good luck finding anything. Local shelves are void of any bulk with no "Target grade" ammo at any price.
These all work for me with my Ruger's.
CCI 22LR AR Tactical CPRN 40gr. fps 1200
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Aquila Super Extra 40gr. 1255fps. CPRN
Federal 22LR 38gr 1260fps CPHP
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Armscor 22LR 36gr 1260fps. HV CPHP

21 - 37 of 37 Posts