Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ka-Bar with the OD green handle and OD hard sheath. That knife does everything I need while camping or doing general outdoor activities. I also like the Becker BK-7 for the same stuff. I also own a Spec Plus SP8 that I have had a long time and it has servced me well.

I am going to be hiking soon and wanted a smaller knife to take while still keeping a quality survival blade. I bought a RAT cutlery RC4. It is a very stout knife. The sheath is fantastic and will prevent loss no matter how I mount the knife on my pack.

When I carry one of the larger knives camping, I usually have a swiss army knife on my too for smaller jobs.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
This is my favorite hunting knife. It was made by Texas knifemaker Jack Sarnik who is a friend of mine. I have another belt knife from him I use as a work knife. For everyday pocket carry I have a Kershaw leek 1660.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My favorite "hunting" knife is my old Case fixed blade been having it since I was a teenager and believe me that was a long.long time ago. I've carried most; from a heavy Bowen Bowie with a brass handle to a miniscule "pin" knife passed down from my father as an everyday tool I carry a buffalo horn handles two bladed "pocket knife" with sheeps foot and drop point blades.
To say that I'm not big into knives would be a mistake although I haven't bought one in years I have several and see no need at this time in my life for another.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like the Ka-Bars are pretty popular. Its funny that there are alot of more expensive knives with fancy steel and space age handles and everything, but people still like the basics. The Ka-Bar isn't even a full tang knife. Don't get me wrong, the tang extends all the way through the handle to the hilt where the end cap is pinned on, but it isn't full size. But that doesn't seem to matter to anyone. I love my Ka-Bar and I don't think I can find a knife that would best it by much for my general/camping uses.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think for people who buy knives to use rather thanb buy knives to collect, there is a point where price point and quality achieve a perfect balance. You want a knife good enough to not be junk but not so expensive that you'd hate to replace it, of good enough materials you likely won't need to replace it but not to such a degree that it drives the price up to high.

Much the same as most of us have a safe queen or two, but we don't use our safe queen of sunday go to meeting gun as our everyday carry.

I have just been using my everyday folder - CRKT M21-04

Have been sort of passively shopping for a fixed blade. . .

·
Registered
215 Posts
Original Carbon V Cold Steel SRK. She went to Iraq for two years with me, prior to that she served as my SWAT blade for my department while I was an LEO, and was my field knife for the last four years prior to retirement from the US Army. Good solid full tang knife, that holds a decent edge, and can be used for just about any chore.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I carry a leatherman for every day use. When branding at the ranch I use a Winchester trapper and when camping and hunting a Winchester hunter fixed blade.

Reactions: Highhawk1948

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I had a Puma White Hunter (geez, I really don't like the name) for many years that served me perfectly as a camping knife. It would do everything from dig a small trench around the tent to open cans to make trap triggers to spread peanut butter and had enough of an edge (had it decades and only sharpened it twice i think) to be usable. Can be used to cut, poke, stab, slice, dig, hammer, pound....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Buck 119 6" for big jobs, Ka-Bar 4" then Buck 112 for carry.

Texas has a law limiting blade length to a bit over five inches. I've heard it as 5.25 and as 5.5 inches. The Buck No. 119 has a six-inch blade and can be categorized as a Bowie knife, which is prohibited.

Is there an exemption for hunters, fishermen, etc.?

I live in Texas and have a No.119 that I'd like to carry.I also have the longer version, the No. 120 General, with a 7.5-inch blade. I'm just afraid to wear either unless on private land.

Lone Star

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well not sure on that. But i take the buck 119 camping & hunting. But i don't carry it around town. I will talk to local LE, & see. I live in a small town just north of san angelo tx. Thanks Lone Star we will see what happens.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm quite happy with a little Kershaw Vapor. It takes a pretty keen edge for such an inexpensive knife. I can't field dress a deer with a large blade. Cutting the throat from inside the chest cavity is a challenge for any blade longer than 3" for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I like my Glock 81 for camping use, and it does a good job, Very sturdy, and dirt cheap!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like my Glock 81 for camping use, and it does a good job, Very sturdy, and dirt cheap!

I have a Glock knife too but I haven't put it to use yet. The price sure is right on them though. It seems comfortable in my hand.

So sinnce you have used it, does it hold an edge well and how is the edge geometry for whittling stuff like marshmallow sticks and stuff?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts