Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread is rather simple, mine is definitely the .270 Winchester. I use others sometimes, like the .30-06, .30-30, .243, 8X57, or .35 Rem.... But none as much as the good ol' .270 Winnie.:D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Given that I have three 30-30 lever guns, mine is the 30-30. The 30-30 is more than adequate for anything hunted, up here, where a good clear 50 yard shot is rare. With the new ammo on the market and/or good hand loads, still a pretty darn good cartridge.

If I lived out west, again, I'd be partial to my old 6mm Remington or the 7-08.

·
Registered
658 Posts
For the area I live, my little Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 is just about perfect. When I do venture to big game, which is very rare, I break out the 300 Weatherby Mag.

Reactions: GunBlue

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Given that I have three 30-30 lever guns, mine is the 30-30. The 30-30 is more than adequate for anything hunted, up here, where a good clear 50 yard shot is rare. With the new ammo on the market and/or good hand loads, still a pretty darn good cartridge.

If I lived out west, again, I'd be partial to my old 6mm Remington or the 7-08.
I started out with the .30-30, but switched over to bolt-actions and rebelled against most of the families lever-action tradition. Most of the new generation of hunters I see are using bolt-actions now, apparently I'm not the only one that caught bolt-action madness.....

Shaneshot: Now that's what I'm talking 'bout! .300 Wby is a serious piece of equipment. My dad and brother used the .257 Wby, but someday I might get a .300 Wby. Something about Wally Taber and Roy Weatherby pulls me toward that cartridge. That's another itch that when I'm older needs scratched...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
MAN!!! That's is my dream Ruger!!!! I just told my dad I want to buy a #1 in .405 Winchester. You lucky little brat. ;)
I traded a Browning 1885 Highwall in 454 Casull for the rifle when I was living in AK. The guy I traded with had shot four brown bear with the rifle before I got it. My big kill with the rifle is a 350# sow I shot in Georgia. I reload my own ammo for it. I just scored a Lyman mold and will soon start casting my own bullets for it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I started out with the .30-30, but switched over to bolt-actions and rebelled against most of the families lever-action tradition. Most of the new generation of hunters I see are using bolt-actions now, apparently I'm not the only one that caught bolt-action madness.....
No kidding! I used to think the Commonwealth had some sort of legal requirement that all hunters must carry a .30-30 lever gun, & I personally never liked 'em. The group I usually hunt w/ has since universally adopted bolt actions, in a somewhat dizzying array of calibers. Me, I like my .30-06 ... & it's a pump gun, to boot. Some people just have to be different, I guess. ;)

By-the-by, if you browse through the Used Gun racks at Cabela's in Hamburg, there are enough .30-30 lever guns to equip a small army. We're certainly not the only ones to have sought out our own new standard in hunting rifles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think im gonna have to go with .308 win. I think its pretty decent round for all aspects of hunting especially out of my ruger gunsite scout rifle.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
Browning A-Bolt in .325 WSM

·
Registered
350 Posts
Remington 7600 pump in 30-06. I have used it for up to a large elk at 400 yards.
If you don't mind my asking, what was your optic set-up & load?

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
I love my 7MM08 Browning X-Bolt for any Deer or Hog sized game.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here in the Ozark hardwoods I used to think I had to have some large caliber for busting thru the brush and such. I now hunt with a no.1A in .270 and thread it thru the brush. Course I do carry a .41mag Super Blackhawk for busting thru said brush if needed.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have a 336C 30-30 and an 1894 44 Magnum. Both are pretty equal but the 30-30 gets the nod for its added range.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My normal elk rifle has been a .300 Wetherby, but this year I went with a 35 Whelen that I built on a LH Savage action. I did not have any luck this year so I will go back too my 300 for luck.

Bob

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
35 year old Rem. 700 ADL in 30-06. One of my favorite all-time calibers.

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
I usually use the 270 Win but I also use and like the old 30/06. The first centerfire rifle I ever owned was a M700 in 30/06 and I still own it. The M77 stainless in 270 usually gets the call though.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
When we hunt in Indiana (Home) we, (wife and I) use 44 magnum, a Ruger Carbine for her and my new 77/44 for me. When we go out of State, the I move to a 308 while she stays with her Ruger 44 magnum.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts