Ruger Forum banner

What is your PRIMARY home/camp defense gun?

• Autoloading Pistol

Votes: 164 53.4%
  • Revolver

Votes: 72 23.5%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • AR-15

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Ruger Mini 14/30

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pistol Caliber Long Gun/Carbine (not specifically Ruger)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Rifle Caliber Pistol (such as AR-15 pistol with brace)

• Pistol Length Shotgun (such as TAC-14)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • AK-47/SKS

• Other

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I say primary is an auto loading handgun because theres always one on me. After that, I would have trouble picking one lol. BUT I do have a 18" barrel .410 shotgun, with 9 rounds strapped on the stock ready to grab.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a SIG 320 X-Carry as a primary carry weapon HOWEVER it is not my primary hd/camp gun. My primary is a SIG 516 with Aim Point PRO. The 320 will get me to the 516 if it is not in reach. The 516 is usually close by.

Joe

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ruger SR9C for CCW and a S&W SW40VE in the house. The light trigger and recoil absorbing qualities of the Ruger SR9C make it my favorite.

When I look around the house, my longest shot would be 25’ to 30.’

Both guns will obliterate the bullseye of a target at seven to ten yards so I have no reason to look for a gun that will be a gong-ringer at fifty yards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went with revolver, 'cause there's always one a few feet from either bed or my Dad chair. There is a Winchester 1300 that's always about halfway in between. Honestly, at least for now, I live where I'm more worried about one of my dogs tangling with a trash panda than I am being robbed or molested, so really I should probably have picked rimfire rifle. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Different choices for different circumstances

Most times during winter months, pocket carry Kimber Micro 9 or Sig P365 SAS (still getting used to the Sig). Summer carry around town/home is usually Kimber Crimson Carry II .45ACP or one of the 9's. Home defense is S&W M&P9 and Remington TAC-14 with a Marlin 45-70 in the corner during the summer. Camp is an entirely different situation; Glock 20 or S&W M629 with the .375 H&H close by....Did I mention we have bears?

·
Registered
457 Posts
See avatar.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
1986 Ruger GP100 blued 4" is my main handgun for home and outdoors. Home, stoked with +P lead HPs. Outdoors: Magnum 158 gr SP/HP handloads.

Secondary home/camp guns: Marlin 1894 .44 Mag levergun, and 7-round Winchester 1300 Defender 12 ga.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had to vote other in this. My primary defense weapon is my brain, any tool I use at the time is secondary....

61 - 70 of 70 Posts