Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the thread says, what is your ugly gun that you can't part with?

Mine is a 1950's Mossberg 146B, somewhere around 1954-1957 from what I can find, I paid $80 for it used, and it was missing the inlays in the stock, so I made some from plastic and plywood (still looks like crap), and refinished the stock with linseed oil.
The stock is nice I believe Walnut, monte carlo style, the trigger guard was hand cast and hammered somewhere along the line because the originals were plastic.
I had to replace the firing pin after I bought it since mine was mashed from dry firing, and I had to seriously clean the feed ramp which was sticky, and had trouble feeding ammo.

I have shot bottle caps off 20 oz soda bottles at 100 yds with this, only with the 3-9X centerpoint scope I have on it. For $40 those scopes are plenty good for me. These originally came with amazing peep sights, but mine were long gone (worth more than the gun to replace), so I just threw the scope on the 3/8" rail that is on the receiver.

This thing is awesome because I can shoot calibri, short, CB long, Long, and long rifle as well as Hyper velocity 22lr. Never has issues extracting or misfeeding since I cleaned it. I haven't shot it in a while, need to do another video on it soon. Haven't really featured it on my channel i don't think.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

Brown Material property Beige Metal

Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Wood

Brown Cosmetics Material property

so lets see yours! And the story about why you can't part with them

·
Registered
808 Posts
That isn’t an ugly gun. It could use a little facelift though. I would paint that trigger guard black, and do something with that plywood inlay. Maybe you could make a new one out of corian to match the diamonds, and then it would be sharp as a tack! FWIW, life is too short to own ugly guns, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That isn’t an ugly gun. It could use a little facelift though. I would paint that trigger guard black, and do something with that plywood inlay. Maybe you could make a new one out of corian to match the diamonds, and then it would be sharp as a tack! FWIW, life is too short to own ugly guns, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I made the diamond inlays out of a yogurt container lid lol. they're plastic. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would pull out the inlays, or what the shape on the butt was before. Maybe like a boyscout logo, or an eagle or something> Wish I had the history on this thing. I love it.

·
Exchequer
5,057 Posts
Don't know that I have any ugly guns. I guess beauty is in eye of the beholder.

However, I never really thought the Ruger P series pistols were all that attractive - especially the early models. But that didn't stop me from buying an old, beat-up P85.

It's now one of my favorite semi-auto pistols; one I truly enjoy shooting. And even though I still think it's kind of a clunky looking design, I can't imagine parting with it.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
The Blackhawk in my avatar .
It is the very first handgun I ever bought in 1970 .
I cast bullets , reloaded and shot it for 25 years .
Then It was stolen in 1995 in Baton Rouge , LA. .
In 2015 , 20 years later a man walked into a pawn shop in Kingman , Arizona and tried to pawn it . The pawn shop's number search indicated it was stolen . They called police and turned it over to them. The man who was going to pawn it left before the police arrived, claimed he bought it and didn't know it was stolen .

Arizona police returned it to Baton Rouge police... the same police officer who made the initial stolen gun report 20 years ago called me and brought the gun back to me.

Yeah, the gun looks ratty but I had some real ivory grips squirreled away, made when ivory was legal (1971) for it and after its return I decided what the heck ...put those nice ivory grips on it , I had them in that stupid drawer for 44 years ...what was I waiting for ???

As ratty and worn as it looks we have a lot of memories together .
In college I would take a little girl from New Orleans shooting , I'm such a cheap date ,
we married in 1972 and the other day she said I still make her laugh .
Gotta keep the girl and the gun !
Gary

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,490 Posts
I think the OP's rifle is really cool. You won't get it mixed up with a friend's gun at the range. My ugly gun is a Blackhawk .357 I found in a pawn shop years ago for $225.00. It was rough looking, but locked up like a bank vault. It's my main woods/ truck revolver when it's not hunting season. I have done some touch up, but it's the handgun I don't worry about if it bangs into stuff while holstered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That is an interesting story, I wonder how many hands handled the gun in those 20 years it was missing. If guns could talk.

The Blackhawk in my avatar .
It is the very first handgun I ever bought in 1970 .
I cast bullets , reloaded and shot it for 25 years .
Then It was stolen in 1995 in Baton Rouge , LA. .
In 2015 , 20 years later a man walked into a pawn shop in Kingman , Arizona and tried to pawn it . The pawn shop's number search indicated it was stolen . They called police and turned it over to them. The man who was going to pawn it left before the police arrived, claimed he bought it and didn't know it was stolen .

Arizona police returned it to Baton Rouge police... the same police officer who made the initial stolen gun report 20 years ago called me and brought the gun back to me.

Yeah, the gun looks ratty but I had some real ivory grips squirreled away, made when ivory was legal (1971) for it and after its return I decided what the heck ...put those nice ivory grips on it , I had them in that stupid drawer for 44 years ...what was I waiting for ???

As ratty and worn as it looks we have a lot of memories together .
In college I would take a little girl from New Orleans shooting , I'm such a cheap date ,
we married in 1972 and the other day she said I still make her laugh .
Gotta keep the girl and the gun !
Gary

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,196 Posts
I have two ugly guns: A Taurus 85 with lots of cosmetic blems (now my fishing-vest gun), and a Mossberg New Haven. Hunted with the latter but didn't get a deer this season, though in summer it did kill a Copperhead after our chickens.

These were the first short and long guns I ever owned, and they will be around as long as I am.

They ain't worth much but still function well!

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
A HR top break in 38 sw it belonged to my great great uncle. It is the only thing anyone has from him. It is well worn but it has a great family association.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
That is a very cool story gwpercle!
Thanks Wheelguns !

*Shoot* ,
Yes , I too wish it could talk. Whoever had it for those 20 years took care of it... it was no more worn , rusted , used or abused when I got it back ... I had been shooting it for 25 years when it was stolen and looked just about the same , someone installed a set of Altamont checkered Fleur-de-Lis Bonded Ivory grips on it for me ...since I had real ivory , I dyed the Altamont's black.
Looked better than the white plastic and are better to shoot with than the smooth ivory. Ivory is for BBQ and show .
The guns sights were exactly where I had left them... no changes to the sights

If anyone has a gun stolen...report it and update your contact information with the police...it was 20 years but I got my Blackhawk back , so it can happen .
Gary

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have two ugly guns I will never part with. 1) Kel-tec sub 2k, functional, reliable, loads of fun to shoot and ugly by almost any measure 2) Winchester model 12 pump shotgun almost 100 years old and beat to a pulp by decades of hunting. I was my grandfather’s only hunting buddy late in his life. He left the gun to me.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
My only ugly firearm is a Kel-tec SU16 5.5.6/223, accurate, dependable, takes all AR mags, fits in a bug out bag and fun to shoot. All other firearms are Ruger, S&W and not one of them is ugly.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Joenaper, I would love to see a picture of your model 12 winchester. Model 12’s and model 50’s were my first loves as far as firearms are concerned.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Joenaper, I would love to see a picture of your model 12 winchester. Model 12’s and model 50’s were my first loves as far as firearms are concerned.
Material property Pen
Muffler Pipe Auto part Shotgun Exhaust system
Shotgun

Best I could do this late in the evening.:)

Manufactured 1922. The stock is nothing but scratches and gouges from decades of thicket and barbed wire. I shot a box of 12 ga thru it last year. Functioned just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Joenaper-> That is a pretty girl. Not one thing ugly about that one.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me. Some great memories hunting with my grandfather. I also still have my first gun (he gave me for Christmas), Remington 870 wingmaster 20 ga. We killed a lot of birds and water fowl together.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts