81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
84 Posts
Was this one of the Navy service Colts? I've seen a couple of those with severe salt water spray induced pitting.

I've always thought that this gun was dropped on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier early in WWII and later found when they were replacing the wooden deck.

Unfortunately I don't have any history on it before my owning it. Two owners before me said he came into possession of it when he worked in a South Georgia pawn shop. The history stops there.

Z

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Interesting piece and a Colt that is part of history. If only some of these firearms could talk. Good it has a home today on Sam Colts birthday. Fitting photo for today! Thanks...

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
859 Posts
ZoidMeister,

Based on how my Father-In-Law talks about how badly he maintained his weapons while stationed on his ship in the Caribbean during the '60s/'70s, I think you found his service pistol...

Aqualung

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So, to be clear, you're telling me to get a tank. Should I inform my wife first? Or surprise her? 😁
That's a beg for forgiveness later purchase... :D

Reactions: harryball

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

·
Registered
84 Posts
WOW even though it is badly pitted and has lots of character, I still wouldn't call it ugly. Still functions I assume?

Absolutely.

I love taking it out to the range and letting other guys shoot it. I recently worked over the trigger on this old 1911. When I got it, I don't think it had been cleaned or adjusted in decades. Here is where the trigger started out . . . . . . .

Not replacing ANY of the ignition control parts, working with it just as I got it, I ended up with this . . . . . .

Jaws literally drop as guys who own guns costing $2,500 or more realize this trigger is better than the one on their worked over semi-custom 1911's.

It's a hoot to shoot.

Z

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Registered
548 Posts
Keepin it in the Ruger house.
Not too sure it's ugly but I'm dang sure it's not attractive.
Looks like something designed by a committee that did not share notes.
Grip too big, cylinder too small, bore too high, trigger guard like a goose egg and made out of weird stuff.

The ONLY way to make it look better is to cover it in leather.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine is a Glock 21 that I used while in the military. Unit purchased the weapon and was given to me as going away present from the commander when I rotated out. The finish is worn, its big and ugly but has 1000's of rounds thru it and it did save my life while in Somolia. I would never get rid of it! Hope to be buried with it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Blackhawk in my avatar .
It is the very first handgun I ever bought in 1970 .
I cast bullets , reloaded and shot it for 25 years .
Then It was stolen in 1995 in Baton Rouge , LA. .
In 2015 , 20 years later a man walked into a pawn shop in Kingman , Arizona and tried to pawn it . The pawn shop's number search indicated it was stolen . They called police and turned it over to them. The man who was going to pawn it left before the police arrived, claimed he bought it and didn't know it was stolen .

Arizona police returned it to Baton Rouge police... the same police officer who made the initial stolen gun report 20 years ago called me and brought the gun back to me.

Yeah, the gun looks ratty but I had some real ivory grips squirreled away, made when ivory was legal (1971) for it and after its return I decided what the heck ...put those nice ivory grips on it , I had them in that stupid drawer for 44 years ...what was I waiting for ???

As ratty and worn as it looks we have a lot of memories together .
In college I would take a little girl from New Orleans shooting , I'm such a cheap date ,
we married in 1972 and the other day she said I still make her laugh .
Gotta keep the girl and the gun !
Gary
What a KICK @$$ story!!! Thanks for that, GW!

While you may not know it, you've effectively provided hope on at least three levels for many a reader, now and to come.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts