Ruger Forum banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just like the thread says, what is your ugly gun that you can't part with?

Mine is a 1950's Mossberg 146B, somewhere around 1954-1957 from what I can find, I paid $80 for it used, and it was missing the inlays in the stock, so I made some from plastic and plywood (still looks like crap), and refinished the stock with linseed oil.
The stock is nice I believe Walnut, monte carlo style, the trigger guard was hand cast and hammered somewhere along the line because the originals were plastic.
I had to replace the firing pin after I bought it since mine was mashed from dry firing, and I had to seriously clean the feed ramp which was sticky, and had trouble feeding ammo.

I have shot bottle caps off 20 oz soda bottles at 100 yds with this, only with the 3-9X centerpoint scope I have on it. For $40 those scopes are plenty good for me. These originally came with amazing peep sights, but mine were long gone (worth more than the gun to replace), so I just threw the scope on the 3/8" rail that is on the receiver.

This thing is awesome because I can shoot calibri, short, CB long, Long, and long rifle as well as Hyper velocity 22lr. Never has issues extracting or misfeeding since I cleaned it. I haven't shot it in a while, need to do another video on it soon. Haven't really featured it on my channel i don't think.

View attachment 135261

View attachment 135263

View attachment 135265

View attachment 135267

View attachment 135269

so lets see yours! And the story about why you can't part with them
I used to think there WAS such a thing as an "Ugly Gun," but I realized I was wrong.

In all seriousness, I have a few that could certainly be considered "odd-balls" and likely deserving of the "ugly" label, but I could never bring myself to let 'em go. The following are a few that don't necessarily excite the ol' "Pant Lizard":

1. Marlin Model 55 "Goose Gun" (1962-1963). Looks like a bolt action howitzer with a 36" barrel. Talk about a goofy honky! But it's absolutely cool in its own right. The thing is 56.5" long for crying out loud!
2. Steven Model 58B, Series F, bolt action .410. Like the above-mentioned Marlin, it's a goofy specimen, but I just can't NOT love it for its "ridiculosity!!" I find it truly intriguing that I can actually claim that I have 3 bolt action shotguns. Aside from this .410 and the Marlin, the third is a Winchester Model 36 9mm Flobert (rimfire) "Gardener's Companion" (made between 1920 and 1927). I don't include it as an "Ugly Gun I Can't Part With" due to the fact that it's just such a cool little piece of firearms history and that it was the first gun I ever shot when I was four. It's tiny; about the size of a "Cricket" .22.
3. Savage Model 99 .300 Savage (1950). I know this may be sacrilege, but I've never cared much for the "looks" of the model 99 (although I know full-well that a firearm's "looks" AND a dollar'll get ya on the bus...). I have to say, however, that if you've never owned/shot one, I recommend, without question, that you re-map your priorities as it's one of the most accurate (not to mention, innovative) lever guns ever devised. There are a few firearms that everyone should own: a Ruger 10/22, of course; and a Savage Model 99. Amazing rifle. Period. But not

I have to say that this is an extremely cool idea for a thread!!

P.S. And yeah, I own a Glock or two... :ROFLMAO:😂

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 135303
View attachment 135305
View attachment 135307

Best I could do this late in the evening.:)

Manufactured 1922. The stock is nothing but scratches and gouges from decades of thicket and barbed wire. I shot a box of 12 ga thru it last year. Functioned just fine.
Well, I have to just go-ahead and disagree on this one, Joe, and I mean no offense. I have a '61 Mod. 12 .20ga., a 1990 (Browning) Mod. 12 .28ga., and two Mod. 42 .410s (1947 and 1955). One of the 42s (the 1947 vintage) has always been my go-to shotgun for upland bird hunting, skeet, trap and sporting clay shooting. The Model 12 .20ga. ain't the prettiest gal in the neighborhood, I'll admit, but due to the 42 and the history it has in my family makes it one of my all-time favorite firearms. And by default, that means the Model 12 is also close to my heart. I also should say that I can't recall ever having met a Winchester that I didn't want call later in the evening after a few ice-cold liver-spots...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
What a KICK @$$ story!!! Thanks for that, GW!

While you may not know it, you've effectively provided hope on at least three levels for many a reader, now and to come.
Thanks for the kind words .... You have ...Made My Day !
Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the kind words .... You have ...Made My Day !
Gary
Well HECK YEAH!! Glad to hear it, amigo!

Two things about me: I always admit when I'm wrong; and I believe in givin' credit where it's due! Honestly, YOUR story made MY day! Much obliged, sir!

Cheers to that!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
A bunch of years ago, I was on a firearms forum (when it was all done via email...that long ago) on which I built a friendship with another member. He talked about this .41mag Blackhawk he had that he called "El Guapo" ("Handsome one") because it had no finish at all.

In time, he got out of .41 magnum and I was just getting into reloading with gear my boss gave me. The whole pile of gear he gave me had a lot of .41 magnum supplies included. I was intrigued.

So, my Internet acquaintance and I did a deal in which I ended up with El Guapo. This revolver has rode on my hip for many hunts and finished off more than one deer.

It's ugly, but in a badazz kind of way because it has that "gunfighter" look.

"El Guapo" in "his" aged, weathered and worn glory:

Aside from the fact that I don't get rid of guns, this is one I won't anyway.

Aqualung
You need to get something to try and put some shine on it. It looks good otherwise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is my Ugly Gun, a Stevens Arms Company .22 - .410 over/under. My Favorite Uncle gave it to me when I was 7 years (1953). Mom made me keep it at my Grand Dads farm so I could shoot it when I went there. That dirt you see (right of trigger) is "farm dirt" where my Grand Dad was shooting it and left it outside for a few days (lol). There are too many memories to get rid of it.
Tool

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is my Ugly Gun, a Stevens Arms Company .22 - .410 over/under. My Favorite Uncle gave it to me when I was 7 years (1953). Mom made me keep it at my Grand Dads farm so I could shoot it when I went there. That dirt you see (right of trigger) is "farm dirt" where my Grand Dad was shooting it and left it outside for a few days (lol). There are too many memories to get rid of it.
View attachment 148352
That's a cool little shooter, Big McK! A friend of mine just brought me the same gun (almost) on which to do a deep cleaning. His is a Savage branded version, though. Those two-caliber O/Us are somewhat goofy, but I like them. They're quite useful tools and a viable option as a "Survival" gun.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
...it's ugly and impractical but what fun to shoot:
I have a Beretta 21A in 25 Auto, and I do not consider these ugly at all. I think they are nice looking little guns, fairly accurate, but not practical to carry. too thick.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My Grandfather gave me an 1913 JP Sauer & Sohn (2nd variant) pistol in .32 acp. Very fugly and heavy but accurate and quality second to none.

·
Registered
26 Posts
94 Winchester 30-30 made in 79 is mine. It's been rode hard and put up wet but it shoots with the best of them and I'll never let it go. Here it is next to my Henry Golden Boy .22 and Rossi 92 in 44-40.

·
Registered
.22 Single Sixes, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, 45 American, 44 Vaqueros, GP100s.
545 Posts
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part Starting pistol

My SCCY CPX-2. Bought it at Cabela's several years ago because it was under $200, and the TR-10 laser was $100 (both on sale), and I had discount gift cards, so the whole package was less than $250. Took it to the indoor range and thought the laser was bad because 115gr was all over the target. Back home, my bore sight said the laser, bore, and sights were all dead on. Took it back later with 124's and 147's, and suddenly it shot where I pointed it. And the odd perforated grips really do lessen the felt recoil. So I kept it. Fits in a jeans pocket, if I need to carry it. Added the Slide Spider grabbers and they really help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My early 70s Arminius Titan Tiger snubby in .38 special.
Fugly, heavy, lots of pot metal, can’t shoot Plus P,...........but surprisingly accurate and has never, ever had a malfunction. Lock up is tight, etc., and somewhat overbuilt (had to with the pot metal)
Granted it probably has maybe 1,000 rounds through it in its entire life...............but I’m keeping it! It was my first gun....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
94 Winchester 30-30 made in 79 is mine. It's been rode hard and put up wet but it shoots with the best of them and I'll never let it go. Here it is next to my Henry Golden Boy .22 and Rossi 92 in 44-40.

Not ugly at all! Classic, and functional and reliable!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Keltec banned state RDB
That is ugly. I have a Sub2000 that I think is pretty ugly too, but it runs all I put in it!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would think people would say my S&W 49 all steel canel back 38 spl.was ugly, It's one of two guns I carry , not at the same time. I like it better then my 36 Chief it's without the hump. Who out there wouldn't want a good hump every once and awhile.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts