Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Do-All Outdoors .22 Auto Reset Target.

Amazon.com: Do-All Outdoors .22 Auto Reset Target: Sports & Outdoors

The ad said to use only .22lr and the fine print on the target it'self says to use only Frangible ammo on the target. I've googled both and still don't have a clear understanding of what they are. does the lead nosed.22 qualify as soft nose? I haven't used the target yet. I mostly use Remington hollow points for plinking. Are these considered Frangible bullets?

S

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not sure. I'd sure think LRN is soft nose, since what material do they make bullets out of that's any softer?:confused:

Isn't frangible ammo a relatively pricey specialty product for hunting/vermin? As in perhaps investing in a more durable target is more cost effective than investing in more expensive ammo to save a cheap target. Or is this purely to limit risk of ricochet?

Since you posted in the pistol/revolver section at least we can guess you're already going to be going relatively easy on the target, seeing how velocity would be notably higher if the same ammo fired from a rifle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Other than some older "gallery" loads, I'm not sure there's any "frangible" .22LR out there on the market today. As for "Soft-nose", you're pretty safe with most of the LRN & Hollowpoints on the market, though something like the Velocitor & hot Aguila SuperMax-type stuff may not be (dunno, no expert). Do use caution & distance (I can tell you I got ricochets with a Do-All Bullet Box @ 10yds hitting the upper corner in the trap (and they plaster a "use at 25 yards" cautionary sticker on it).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure. I'd sure think LRN is soft nose, since what material do they make bullets out of that's any softer?:confused:

Isn't frangible ammo a relatively pricey specialty product for hunting/vermin? As in perhaps investing in a more durable target is more cost effective than investing in more expensive ammo to save a cheap target. Or is this purely to limit risk of ricochet?

Since you posted in the pistol/revolver section at least we can guess you're already going to be going relatively easy on the target, seeing how velocity would be notably higher if the same ammo fired from a rifle.
Sorry, but yes I have an sr22, and also have a 1022 TD. I will very careful with my new Target.

S

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would think that would be lawyer speak for "This is a firearm target. Please do not shoot at it with anything. If you do, you may be injured." Same reason your target says (I would bet) "Do not use under 25 yards". You won't hurt your target. I've got a '.22' steel target that I've shot .357 and .45 at. I've got hundreds of rounds at it and none over ten yards. The paint is damaged and it needs a new bullseye sticker, but it's fine.

Most of the energy of the bullet will be wasted in spinning the target (exactly as it's supposed to). If you shoot at it with .308, you may punch some holes in it, but plinking at it with a .22 at any appreciable distance won't do anymore than wear the stickers off of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think that would be lawyer speak for "This is a firearm target. Please do not shoot at it with anything. If you do, you may be injured." Same reason your target says (I would bet) "Do not use under 25 yards". You won't hurt your target. I've got a '.22' steel target that I've shot .357 and .45 at. I've got hundreds of rounds at it and none over ten yards. The paint is damaged and it needs a new bullseye sticker, but it's fine.

Most of the energy of the bullet will be wasted in spinning the target (exactly as it's supposed to). If you shoot at it with .308, you may punch some holes in it, but plinking at it with a .22 at any appreciable distance won't do anymore than wear the stickers off of it.
Thanks 100 shots. Actually the warning says '30 yards' so you win the bet! ha ha

S

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used my Do-All .22 target today. At about 10 yards, the target stood up will . I used my SR22 with Remmington .22lr hollow point ammo. The red paint chipped off the target of course but it worked well. Very little harm to the metal of the target itself. Happy.

S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.