Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anyone ever heard of replacing the recoil pin on the 10/22 with a buffer pin? If so, was there any noticeable change in performance of the gun afterwards....pro or con? :)

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

Anyone ever heard of replacing the recoil pin on the 10/22 with a buffer pin? If so, was there any noticeable change in performance of the gun afterwards....pro or con? :)
I have heard of it, but I honestly do not see the need for it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What I hear from those who have done it is that it quiets down the bolt noise and slows the cycle time ever so slightly.

I may look into it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like the buffer pins because it replaces a steel cross pin in an aluminum receiver with a bumper pin that should extend the life of the receiver. I haven't shot mine enough to see if that is really true.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I have a plastic recoil buffer pin in mine, and recommend it. They cost less than $8 on ebay or gunbroker, and to me anytime metal and metal slap together it just seems logical to put some sort of buffer between them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recently gave my son the 10/22 DSP his mother (my ex) gave me for Christmas in 1981. So, that leaves me with;

10/22 Canadian Centennial (I love this little rifle!) [^]

Mark II Stainless 5.5" bull barrel

Single-Six .22LR/.22Mag with 6.5" barrel

Remington Model 513 Target Master single shot

And my grandfather's old single shot Stevens Model 55 (so old it has no serial number)

·
Registered
216 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

My 10/22 still shoots same as it always did, very well. But I like the performance much better. No "clack" when the bolt hits the "urethane" bolt buffer from WeaponKraft I installed.

The gun operates quieter.

www.weaponkraft.itgo.com/index.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a couple .22's including:

Ruger Bearcat
High Standard Model B
Bersa Firestorm
Colt Peacemaker w/ .22 and .22WMR cylinders
Winchester 250 lever action (my first ever gun, Easter 1964)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I only have one now, a henry which I recently bought abd rediscovered the joy of .22s. Now I have in mind a mark lll and another 10-22. Out here in Kennewick, Wa. the .22s are getting popular in my group of friends. one got a single six and a henry .22 mag., my cuz got a 10-22.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My Grandfather made a deal with me when I was little. Two squrrels or rabbits a week and he would buy me a box of shells. Didn't take me long to learn how to hunt and shoot.
Had a saying where I come from: Teach a boy to hunt,and you won't have to hunt for the boy.Work for me till I had to move to the city. Hated that,and still do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I currently own a 10/22 and a 22/45 MKIII. But im sure more will come down the road lol! Im working on getting a bigger safe at the moment!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My current collection includes eight Ruger rifles:

Blued 10/17 Mach 2 on a 10/22 receiver and mated to a Green Mountain 96/22 sporter barrel and sitting in a factory full-length checkered hardwood stock, but shortened to my tastes. It will have a Volquartsen hammer, an Eagle extended mag release, and wear a Simmons 1.5x-5x 32mm Pro Target scope in Simmons rings on a Weaver TO-9M base.

Stainless 10/22 Carbine receiver mated to a Butler Creek 16.5” ultra-light barrel, sitting in a Butler Creek folding stock. It has a Volquartsen hammer, Eagle extended mag release, and wears an Eagle “Zephyr” receiver sight set. This is my answer to my Remington Nylon 77s, almost as light, and more verstile with better sights and a folding stock.

Blued 10/22 Carbine receiver, with a Volquartsen hammer, and mated to a, C&S Metal Werkes Ltd, “Krinker Plinker” conversion kit. It has a 16” barrel with faux suppressor, an eagle extended mag release, adjustable receiver sights and folding stock. Its my “just for fun” gun.

Stainless 10/22 Carbine receiver, mated to a Butler Creek .920” featherweight barrel wearing a Volquartsen “stabilization module”, nestled in a Ruger Deluxe walnut stock. It has a Volquartsen hammer, Eagle extended mag release, and is topped with a Tasco 1x 30mm Accu-Dot sight on a Weaver TO-9S base. This is my plinker, and built light for the wimmen in my family.

Stainless 10/22 International Carbine (Wal-Mart exclusive) with the full-length grey laminated stock shortened to my tastes. It has a bolt, barrel, and trigger group re-worked by Randy at CPC. It also has an Eagle extended mag release and wears a Simmons 1.5x-5x 32mm Pro Target scope in Simmons rings on a Weaver TO-9S base. This is my walking gun, for short range squirrel and rabbits, and general uses.

Stainless 10/22 Rifle (Wal-Mart exclusive) with the checkered birch stock. Bolt and trigger group re-worked by Randy at CPC. It has an Eagle extended mag release and wears a Simmons 4.5x-14x 40mm (AO) in Tasco rings on a Power Custom base. ~ Its my turtle sniper. I use it to shoot turtles around my pond without leaving my work-room!

Blued 10/17 Magnum built on a 10/22M receiver and mated to a factory Ruger 96/17 barrel and sitting in a Hogue Over-Molded stock. It has a Volquartsen hammer, an Eagle extended mag release, and wears a Simmons 2.5x-8x WTC scope in the factory rings. My Huummmmmerrrr!

Blued 10/22 Magnum sitting in a Hogue Over-Molded stock. It has a trigger group reworked by CWG, an Eagle extended mag release, and wears a Simmons 2.5x-8x WTC scope in the factory rings. My Maaggnuuummmm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have three revolvers and eight rimfire pistols, though only three are Rugers... here's some of my favorites:

Ruger MK II GC

Sig Trailside

Kimber (bad lighting) with uppers in both .17HM2 and .22LR

Bersa (Firestorm)

S&W 317

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Ruger MK1 target model and a Beretta Neos with a RedDot. I love them both and they become very boring after four clips. I really can't stand 22 rifles, I need a little more anything if I am going to stand outside in the Florida sun and plink away. That's why I have a AK-47 and an AR-15.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a few rimfires:
Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Ruger 10/22 Stainless Walmart "special" rifle
Mossberg U.S. M44 military target rifle
Ruger "Standard" 4" Mk I
Ruger Single Six 5 1/2" convertible
Romanian M69 military bolt action .22 trainer
Marlin box magazine .22 mag bolt action
CZ 452 .17RFM bolt action

·
Registered
216 Posts
Lets see... :)

Rugers:
10/22 Canadian Centennial
Mark II Target 5.5" stainless
Super Single-Six 6.5" blued

I have a factory black/gray/silver laminated 10/22 stock I plucked off ebay cheap. When I find a suitable action/barrel (sporter barrel) in either stainless or blue I'm gonna put it in that stock. I don't like the heavy barrel configuration.

Others:
Stevens Model 55 (belonged to Grandfather)
Remington Targetmaster Model 513 (I think)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought my daughter this Walther P22 - so fun to shoot I'm going to pick up this Ruger Mark III Hunter tomorrow!! I put a red dot scope on hers, so I'll probably put one on the Ruger as well! Any suggestions?

21 - 40 of 705 Posts