• M60

Votes: 20 23.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gun fairy's been slacking off lately. She's been hesitating over this poll because she KNOWS there are a lot more choices than 10 out there. But she tried to pick 10 of the most popular machine guns throughout the ages.

There are no distinctions made between belt-fed or magazine fed. Their are no grenade launcher or cannons, e.g., gatling guns and no smooth bore guns. They can take one man or more to operate; water cooled and air cooled, switch barrel and non.

That being said, I'm sure she's missed somebody's favorite machine gun, you know that one left that's missing from your collection. ;)

But the list is finally ready, such as it is. Make your one wish.

*Note: offer void in states whose name contains the letter "a" and those that do not contain the letter "a". Not available outside the USA.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've started off the poll with my request from the gun fairy with an MG42. What else. What's not to like about a 1,200 rpm killing machine aka Hitler's Buzzsaw? Unless of course, you're standing at the other end of said machine gun. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
The one not listed M-134 mini gun 4000-6000 7.62 Nato rounds per minute!
Puff the Magic Dragon.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For me it was a tie between the M249 and the MG42.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Of those listed the M2 has been in continous service since the first production. Must be something good about it.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me it was a tie between the M249 and the MG42.
So which one did you vote for?

Those are two of my favorites, too. The M249 is more modern and only shoots the 5.56. The MG42 was just devastating! But I'd rather be carrying an M249. The M249 will shoot either belt or magazine fed rounds and I really like the box the belt rests in.

Trivia question:

How did the German's get the MG42 to shoot 1,200 to 1,500 RPM?

They used roller bearings in the bolt ass'y.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of those listed the M2 has been in continous service since the first production. Must be something good about it.
If the question was which one of these is the best machine gun in this group, the Ma Deuce would definitely get my vote.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just answered a poll on this topic in early June here. But I would take any that BHO had no idea I had.
There was an earlier poll on sub machine guns. This one is for full on machine guns.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,976 Posts
The gun fairy's been slacking off lately. She's been hesitating over this poll because she KNOWS there are a lot more choices than 10 out there. But she tried to pick 10 of the most popular machine guns throughout the ages.

There are no distinctions made between belt-fed or magazine fed. Their are no grenade launcher or cannons, e.g., gatling guns and no smooth bore guns. They can take one man or more to operate; water cooled and air cooled, switch barrel and non.

That being said, I'm sure she's missed somebody's favorite machine gun, you know that one left that's missing from your collection. ;)

But the list is finally ready, such as it is. Make your one wish.

*Note: offer void in states whose name contains the letter "a" and those that do not contain the letter "a". Not available outside the USA.
First i have to say I love your idea and voting options you have listed. As much as I love the Ma deuce, it would take a fortune to shoot, and isn't man portable. So I went with the M60, in E4 configuration, ever since I saw Rambo I have drooled over one, maybe one day I will acquire one for my own enjoyment. But since I couldn't afford an E4 I purchased and own the next best thing. A mini ma deuce, the 1919A4.

Here is the E4 I want as to not be mistaken..

my 1919A4

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First i have to say I love your idea and voting options you have listed. As much as I love the Ma deuce, it would take a fortune to shoot, and isn't man portable. So I went with the M60, in E4 configuration, ever since I saw Rambo I have drooled over one, maybe one day I will acquire one for my own enjoyment. But since I couldn't afford an E4 I purchased and own the next best thing. A mini ma deuce, the 1919A4.

Here is the E4 I want as to not be mistaken..

1919A4

All good choices!

And thanks. This was the toughest poll yet. I have one more planned before the gun fairy retires - Vintage military rifles. I know there are going to be way more than the 10 choices I picked. But I'll wait to release that one so this one gets some attention.

;)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So which one did you vote for?

Those are two of my favorites, too. The M249 is more modern and only shoots the 5.56. The MG42 was just devastating! But I'd rather be carrying an M249. The M249 will shoot either belt or magazine fed rounds and I really like the box the belt rests in.

Trivia question:

How did the German's get the MG42 to shoot 1,200 to 1,500 RPM?

They used roller bearings in the bolt ass'y.
I chose the M249 for the reasons you stated. It was a hard decision though. I feel the MG42 would be more fun to shoot, seeing as the rate of fire on that thing is ridiculous!

·
"The Real Deal"
6,976 Posts
All good choices!

And thanks. This was the toughest poll yet. I have one more planned before the gun fairy retires - Vintage military rifles. I know there are going to be way more than the 10 choices I picked. But I'll wait to release that one so this one gets some attention.

;)
That will be interesting as well, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Looks like a close race. I'm a sucker for the classics, I chose the BAR. Just something about the way it sounds.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks like a close race. I'm a sucker for the classics, I chose the BAR. Just something about the way it sounds.
This is the 3rd rifle poll I've made. The BAR is one of my favorites. I think it was in the first poll about military rifles.

I didn't include it here because these are generally heavier, more intense machine guns.

Imagine a belt fed BAR!!! :D

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I'll take the Maschinengewehr 34, the more accurate of the two German heavy machine guns. It had tighter tolerances than the 42, which made it more accurate but also less reliable. Either one is great, but I've always had a soft spot for the 34.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
This is the 3rd rifle poll I've made. The BAR is one of my favorites. I think it was in the first poll about military rifles.

I didn't include it here because these are generally heavier, more intense machine guns.

Imagine a belt fed BAR!!! :D
Belt fed, box fed, whats the difference :rolleyes: The BAR is technically a LMG since it is not easily fired from the shoulder. I'm surprised that nobody thought to develop a larger magazine for it. At least a 50 rounder for firing off the bi-pod. Probably would have been hella heavy. I see you point though, it is looks more like a rifle than an LMG, especially with the small 20 rd magazine. If memory serves me, I believe the bi-pod was removed on most of them as it was used mostly as a hip fired weapon during "fire and maneuver" to provide cover fire during advances. I also read somewhere that they were crazy accurate when fired off the pod.

Also, I think Clyde Barrow may have accidentally invented one of the first assault rifles when he chopped the BAR down to travel size.

Anyhoo, I stick by my choice. :p

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Belt fed, box fed, whats the difference :rolleyes: The BAR is technically a LMG since it is not easily fired from the shoulder. I'm surprised that nobody thought to develop a larger magazine for it. At least a 50 rounder for firing off the bi-pod. Probably would have been hella heavy. I see you point though, it is looks more like a rifle than an LMG, especially with the small 20 rd magazine. If memory serves me, I believe the bi-pod was removed on most of them as it was used mostly as a hip fired weapon during "fire and maneuver" to provide cover fire during advances. I also read somewhere that they were crazy accurate when fired off the pod.

Also, I think Clyde Barrow may have accidentally invented one of the first assault rifles when he chopped the BAR down to travel size.

Anyhoo, I stick by my choice. :p
Agreed. Clyde took out a lot of LEO's with his sawed off BAR. Kirby was one of my favorites on Combat just to see his BAR.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll take the Maschinengewehr 34, the more accurate of the two German heavy machine guns. It had tighter tolerances than the 42, which made it more accurate but also less reliable. Either one is great, but I've always had a soft spot for the 34.
The MG34 was an awesome and potent machine gun. What killed it was how much more difficult it was to produce.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
The MG34 was an awesome and potent machine gun. What killed it was how much more difficult it was to produce.

It was more difficult to produce and thus more expensive, which coupled with it's tight tolerances prompted the move to replace it. It was easier to swap barrels on the 42, it was easier to manufacture, it had the higher rate of fire (very important since Hitler wanted to intimidate the Allied soldiers), and it was more reliable.... The 42 was the better of the two, but for some reason the 34's advantage in accuracy wins me over regardless of the other factors. :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts