Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When friends or relatives ask me about why I carry a concealed weapon (and they do), I just tell them that I selected "Option 3".

Of course they don't know what I'm talking about, so I end up having to explain...

Here goes: Since all of us humans are mammals, we are born with two basic instinctual responses when faced with a threat. These responses are Fight or Flight. I call those Options 1 and 2.

Now that I'm in my sixties, neither of the first two options seems to work for me. I'm too old to fight and too fat to flee. I needed another option, so I chose Option 3, which is FIREPOWER.

Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Research. I was against it. Thought the logic and rhetoric was total BS. When Nebraska passed it a few years back I was kinda upset but it's a free country so I wasn't completely against it. Then I got divorced and back into pistols. Dad and Step mom got their ccw and I did a lot of research on it. Now I'm a "I should be able to carry anywhere" type of guy.

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks to everyone for their input so far. It has made for a very interesting read and should prove helpful for others here at RF.Net who may be wrestling with this decision. In fact I think it's appropriate to make it a "sticky" in the CCW section :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had mine for at least 30 years now, it seems to me that my initial thought was more to avoid any hassles than anything else. I used to carry while hunting or just walking the kids in the woods (radid critters were a concern) and also went to the range a lot. Traveling so much with a revolver, it seemed a good idea to get my carry license.

I have very rarely felt much need to carry for any other reason, but have a few times over the years in Philly or Reading when I knew I was going to be in some of the rougher parts at night.

I've always felt that situational awareness is probably more useful than being armed all the time. Being big and ugly helps too.:D

And a 12 guage pump is all I'd need at home, no permit required.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Been carrying something since grade school. Club, knife, or derringer (by high school). We had a rough little neighborhood. When I was in Jr. High, the police raided the lockers and did a search of the students, collected two baskets of sharp or blunt weapons.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been carrying since 1960. It just made sense to get my CCW permit when they started issuing them. I first started carrying because I was a Rancher and you never knew when you would need a gun. I still carry for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Being born & raised in Jersey, gun rights were just a fable. Sometimes you had to wait 5 or 6 months just to get a NJ Pistol Purchase Permit which only allowed you to buy 1 handgun. When I retired and moved to North Carolina, after being a resident here for 1 year, my wife & I obtained CCW permits. Also, I could not agree with BillStaf more. Too old, too fat and too tired to run.

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I do not fear for my life on a daily basis (I don't live in a bad neighborhood or work in one), it is my responsibility to protect myself and my family. I liken carrying a gun to buying insurance, you have it but pray to GOD you never have to use it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why I carry

I carry because it's a screwed up world ,and as I am old, I need every advantage I can get. I do not think it is my responsibility to protect the world and will use a gun only as a last resort.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I have always had a gun handy in the truck. Now since Florida went CCP some years ago I carry most of the time and still keep a long gun in the truck. This is not a nice country anymore. Our justice system is broke. Our values have been dishonored. It will no longer protect us. I feel we must take the responsibilty of our own protection and for that of our families. I am not the tough hombre I used to be. Col. Colt made everyone equal.

I don't believe in our justice system anymore, but I believe in justice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I decided to go for my CCW due to a couple reasons. But mainly was to protect the family. We used to do alot of 4wheeling, fishing , camping and stuff and always seemed to be in the middle of the woods or the middle of nowhere. We also travel alot at times. So I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never had one "moment" that convinced me to get my CCH, but it was on my list of things to do for a long time. Oklahoma wasn't a shall-issue state when i lived there, and they changed the law a year after I left. It took Kansas a while to come around, so when they did, I decided to do it while I could. It still took me a while, but I got my license last December.

Now that the kids are getting older and we're traveling more with the RV, we find ourselves in the middle of nowhere more often. I may be paranoid but I'm worried about stumbling across some territorial pot growers or portable meth labs when we get away from it all. Rabid critters were just the excuse I gave my wife!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I joined the USMC in 1967 and went to the Nam in 68 (combat-0311). When I came back I became an MP, carred a 45 Colt and felt good about it. Got out in 1970 with no weapon to carry so I bought a 45 Colt. Through the years I have carred different pistols. Then in 2006 I got my CHL ( Texas). The reason I do and have carred is simple. In Viet Nam I had 2 enemys, VC and North Viet Nam army. VC dressed in all black an NVA dressed in green uniform and they had weapons, easy to spot. Here in the USA I dont know who my enamy is. Could be the guy next to me I just don't know so I carry to protect myself and family.
I ask myself all the time will I ever have to use my pistol and my answer is "I would rather have it than not".

·
Registered
98 Posts
While the easy answer here may be for some "because it's my right", I'm curious if there was a particular event, situation or thought that ultimately moved you to the point of making that final decision to carry concealed?

For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.
The first and biggest reason for me after 'because its my right' is dogs. The wife and I bike a lot in the nice weather and we've had a crap load of problems with pits and rotts (and mixed breeds of both) the last few years. Ive literally come close to having to shoot a couple pit breeds right outside my front door, one as recently as within this last month.

Ive warned the owners and tried my best to keep from having to having to put a dog down, but Ohio law is very clear about aggressive dogs.

Lastly, having been a victim of crime a few times in my life, I know there is always the possibility of it happening again.
When the wife and I moved to Ohio in 08 we hadnt been here 2 months when the Chase bank we were in got locked down during a robbery attempt.

Im not paranoid, just realistic :)

41 - 60 of 806 Posts