Ruger Forum banner
841 - 860 of 994 Posts
My first exposure to concealed carry... My friends an I were taking a day hike on trails in a central Michigan state reserve when a group of dirt bikers came buzzing down the trail in our direction. We were in a clear cut section that was maybe 50~75 yards wide. We stepped off the trail to let them pass but they swerved toward us then started circling around us. Their intent to intimidate us was working. One of the guys in the group (unknown to the rest of us) was packing a 38spl. upon displaying it to the motorcycle group leader he broke out of the circling pattern nearly hitting a trail marker post, then almost side swiping another rider. He hightailed it up the trail back in the direction they came from with the rest of the crew following. At this point we chose to cut across country to a small trail that the map showed being about a mile through the woods. We felt it was a safe move despite putting us an hour behind to our destination. Our group of friends were college buddies of which a few of us including myself were Criminal Justice Majors. This made such an impact on me that although I hadn't purchased my first handgun yet, I corrected that issue after setting aside money from my next two paychecks. As a note... the fellow packing the 38's dad was a police officer and was meeting us at our destination. After telling him why we came up a different trail and an hour later than planned he made a phone call to the Sheriffs department reporting the incident in case the motorcyclists had run back to tattle on us. Nothing ever got back to us as I think his dad handled the complaint.
I never made it onto a police force as I was injured running a relay race blowing out my knee. I have had CCW permits in all three states I have lived in. I carried in church as an assistant pastor, elder, and now retired from the ministry. My wife who is now disabled a few years ago asked me why I choose to carry. My answer was that we are not any younger, I walk with a gimp, you need two canes, this makes us prime targets to be taken advantage of, and besides when you will need them police are minutes away when seconds count. Besides, I don't consider my using a gun in a fight as cheating.
Carry on fellas and be blessed.

Years ago I was walking my dog and two punks pulled up to me in a car and pointed a gun at me. They wanted my dog and my money. I told them to go .... themselves. They pulled the trigger and the gun did not go off. They took off and were found later at the local sonic drive-in. It was from that moment that I started carrying even before I got my license. I never go out with out a gun, just a fact of life and I have no problem taking one if I have to, another fact of life. The kids were minors and got off, if I had been armed that night they would be in a grave now and that's exactly told the cops, a judge, and their parents. Even cops in town don't mess with me.

As a retired peace officer I regularly carry. Since I don't get to choose the timing of the gunfight - the bad guy does, I carry all the time with rare exception. You should carry in order to take responsibility for your own protection and that of you're loved ones. The police cannot protect you. At best they will write a smashing report about it and maybe catch the bad guy! That is little consolation when you or your loved one are dead. Just remember when seconds count, we are only minutes away! Your safety is your responsibility, no one else's!

I have to agree with Cousin Vinnie. I carry for all those reason.

I've had three situations where I benefitted from carrying. That's too many times. Now, I just don't feel safe all the time and I want to protect myself and my girlfriend from the idiot that society lets out. When they can get the guns out of the hands of the criminals ( not likely in my lifetime ) I may stop carrying.

For me it is the possibly that at some point I my have to protect myself or someone else from lethal harm, we the police can't be everywhere and for some strange reason the criminals out there are not going to turn in their weapons (even though the democrats will tell you otherwise) So bottom line the time could come. What the old saying, better to have and not need than need and not have.

Drug gangs in the past, and now total crazies wandering my neighborhood. I don't need to drive three blocks for milk or sodas. It's walking distance. I would rather walk, and be safe if necessary.

Kroger used to be good with carry of all types.

They are now "woke" so this crap will continue.
That's what concealed carry is for. In our state, ‘no guns’ signs on private property do not have the force of law
What they don't know//They don't know.

841 - 860 of 994 Posts