Ruger Forum banner
861 - 880 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
The problem with that thinking is the story isn't about your state and signs do have force of law in the state the shooting happened in.
It's not about that particular situation but as an example of why I carry. Of course, Situations vary from state to state.

The thread is about what made you decide to carry concealed. The example is a prime reason of why both my wife and I have a permit to carry concealed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to preface this post with the fact that I grew up in an anti-gun family. Some have come around to understanding why I have firearms over the years, I still have a few who regard me as the black sheep.

I purchased my first firearm after an active shooter incident in an apartment complex in my late 20's. Members from 2 gangs decided to have a firefight outside where my my family lived at the time. Several of those bullets wound up in the brick wall on the other side of our living room but missed the oversized window into our living room thankfully. My wife was getting our 1 and 4 year old down to the ground while I was on the phone with 911 ... who never showed up. Follow-up with police desk sergeant the next day indicated it was written up as fireworks ... until I dropped the brass casings I found on the ground outside my front door! His response was get a gun and learn how to use it.

I got my conceal carry when violence increased in my area during the pandemic which included random people being shot on the street and even an attempted home invasion of my own home. The people who attempted to break into our home were not deterred by the blaring alarm ... but were deterred by our dog's barking and me coming out into the living room ready with my handgun. My wife called 911 ... only to be told that since the people attempting to break-in were not in the house yet that the police were not dispatching anyone due to newer policies.

I mentioned that random people being shot on the street. Had an incident on a public street where someone came around the corner aiming a rifle at another person. Occurred right in front of my wife and kids. We backed out of there as quickly as possible. Multiple people called police ... who showed up 30 minutes later.

I carry because I want to ensure my family is protected. You are the first line of defense for your own family. My wife will not carry a gun, but even she is now actively carrying other methods of protection without second thought. We live in interesting times for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never have had reason to carry concealed, but someday I might. It takes so long (about a month) to get a CPL (Michigan) that if I ever -do- feel the need it will be a good thing to have the permit already in hand. Besides, the training and learning about when you can actually use a handgun was a lot of fun. So I have a Ruger Max 9 and am practicing diligently. If I need it I have it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I’ve been carrying since 1982 when I was working out of state and carrying all the money I had in my front pocket. After that situation changed I just kept carrying because I thought it was a good idea. Of course at that time it wasn’t legal to carry in Texas, but I always thought that my God given rights trumped my human given privelages. As soon as it became legal, so did I. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reason I started carrying was because we had a shooting a few years back in the city San Bernardino. I applied in the following days for my CCW. I'm lucky enough to live in San Bernardino County where are sheriff is very pro second amendment. Took me around 11 months to get my permit, but was fortunate to get it, especially being that I'm in California.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now my reason would have to be that older grey-haired folks who walk with a cane are seen as soft targets by "goblins" as Col. Cooper called them. I have carried concealed nearly all my adult life whether I had government permission or not. Now I live where constitutional concealed carry is the law of the land. Never had to use deadly force and now I am rarely somewhere that it should be needed but still carry everyday, Trouble doesn't make appointments.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Reason I started carrying was because we had a shooting a few years back in the city San Bernardino. I applied in the following days for my CCW. I'm lucky enough to live in San Bernardino County where are sheriff is very pro second amendment. Took me around 11 months to get my permit, but was fortunate to get it, especially being that I'm in California.
It's the same in Sacramento county. The sheriff is very pro 2A

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am going to preface this post with the fact that I grew up in an anti-gun family. Some have come around to understanding why I have firearms over the years, I still have a few who regard me as the black sheep.

I purchased my first firearm after an active shooter incident in an apartment complex in my late 20's. Members from 2 gangs decided to have a firefight outside where my my family lived at the time. Several of those bullets wound up in the brick wall on the other side of our living room but missed the oversized window into our living room thankfully. My wife was getting our 1 and 4 year old down to the ground while I was on the phone with 911 ... who never showed up. Follow-up with police desk sergeant the next day indicated it was written up as fireworks ... until I dropped the brass casings I found on the ground outside my front door! His response was get a gun and learn how to use it.

I got my conceal carry when violence increased in my area during the pandemic which included random people being shot on the street and even an attempted home invasion of my own home. The people who attempted to break into our home were not deterred by the blaring alarm ... but were deterred by our dog's barking and me coming out into the living room ready with my handgun. My wife called 911 ... only to be told that since the people attempting to break-in were not in the house yet that the police were not dispatching anyone due to newer policies.

I mentioned that random people being shot on the street. Had an incident on a public street where someone came around the corner aiming a rifle at another person. Occurred right in front of my wife and kids. We backed out of there as quickly as possible. Multiple people called police ... who showed up 30 minutes later.

I carry because I want to ensure my family is protected. You are the first line of defense for your own family. My wife will not carry a gun, but even she is now actively carrying other methods of protection without second thought. We live in interesting times for sure.
That's good. Our society (especially urban dwellers) have been conditioned to believe the police protect you. Not only is that incorrect, it's impossible. Violence happens in the blink of an eye. Except in the rarest of circumstances, a police officer is not going to be anywhere around. If someone takes your life (or that of a loved one) the most anyone may expect is, a good report be written and the perpetrator be brought to Justice. However, that does absolutely nothing for your life or that of your loved ones. Our personal safety is and has always been our own responsibility. It can be no one else's! I applaud you for taking responsibility.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While the easy answer here may be for some "because it's my right", I'm curious if there was a particular event, situation or thought that ultimately moved you to the point of making that final decision to carry concealed?

For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.
There were a rash of church shootings a few years ago. I work with our hospitality team and am in the main lobby every Sunday, and saw a need for someone able and willing to be the first line of defense if anyone with ill will were to show up. I had been considering anyway as a general good practice.
FYI, in Kentucky it took me literally 9 days to get my CCDW license. The fact it takes 11 months -in a carry friendly county- in CA is mind numbing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Unfortunately, personal decisions to carry or not are still moot in certain states. Here in MD, if you don't have a "good and substantial" reason for a Wear and Carry Permit (Maryland's "CCW"), as deemed by the crown, you will not obtain one. They have special carve outs for certain occupations and for business owners, but self defense is specifically not considered a good and substantial reason by the MD State Police. I cannot leave this wacky state quickly enough.

861 - 880 of 904 Posts