Ruger Forum banner
881 - 900 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long story but in the late 70s I fired someone who then threatened my life. I asked for a Restraining Order. When the Sheriff served the RO the guy went nuts and was jailed. This caused the Sheriff to run his prints and they found he did time in prison for things like armed robbery, kidnapping, etc,,, The Sheriff called me and said to come to his office and pick up my CWP and to protect myself at all times as they could only hold him for a few days. That's how I started carrying.
WOW. That is terrifying.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife is very aware of her surroundings and sees things I didn't before. After hearing about day time muggings in Walmart parking lots, kids disappearing from stores under their parents noses and on and on all these type of things. She taught me what to look for and always be suspicious in public. As time moves forward, things are getting worse. A group of us guys in my community decided to conceal carry for protection but didn't want to open carry. So we all did it together. The really strange thing is we live in a very good neighborhood with no real immediate threats. Just shows you it can happen anywhere at any time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My wife is very aware of her surroundings and sees things I didn't before. After hearing about day time muggings in Walmart parking lots, kids disappearing from stores under their parents noses and on and on all these type of things. She taught me what to look for and always be suspicious in public. As time moves forward, things are getting worse. A group of us guys in my community decided to conceal carry for protection but didn't want to open carry. So we all did it together. The really strange thing is we live in a very good neighborhood with no real immediate threats. Just shows you it can happen anywhere at any time.

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just requalified to renew my non resident conceal carry permit next door in Minnesota. I had a pleasant surprise over there when I received a $75 discount off the $100 fee because I'm a veteran.
With the MN permit, along with my WI permit, I can legally carry in about 40 (or so) states. A number of other states don't recognize my WI permit, but do accept my MN permit, so.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine was back in 1987. At that time in Indiana, if you did not have a permit to CC, and were buying a handgun, you had to wait two weeks to take the gun home. That is when I decided I had to take care of that. It's not that way here anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While the easy answer here may be for some "because it's my right", I'm curious if there was a particular event, situation or thought that ultimately moved you to the point of making that final decision to carry concealed?

For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.
Degenerative Disc Disease renders me vulnerable like never before--also have family to protect--and as a former prison employee, I'm still paranoid since we never know when threatening inmates will keep their promises when they are released.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always believed that it's my personal responsibility to defend myself on whatever level is necessary. Authorities aren't able to do anything until after the fact.

Back in the late 1990's I used to fish a lot when the tides were running in Florida which meant that I'd be out there on the pier by myself most times in the wee hours of the night. Expecting someone to help me seems like a foreign ideology in the event that I needed it... I've been CCW-ing since then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What made me decide was the ability to purchase guns was easier with my permit and there are crazy people everywhere. This current fake pretend president is destroying this country and desperate people will do desperate things!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Being a LEO in the late 70's- mid 80's I always carried off duty, when I left to start my own business there was no way I would get a CC permit (NJ). so for almost 26 years I went unarmed (no other choice).
When I moved to WV 2011 I got my CC permit then got one here in NC after moving here.
I started carrying always after dark, after the "summer of love" (2020) when some buses from Atlanta were going to bring in some protesters to town.
I think they rethought their protest angle and never returned, too many locals at the town square, packing!
The other two reasons are being attacked by two local dogs while walking my dog on leash and a mean male horse down the street.
Also being too old to break my hand on someones head!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Degenerative Disc Disease renders me vulnerable like never before--also have family to protect--and as a former prison employee, I'm still paranoid since we never know when threatening inmates will keep their promises when they are released.
Most of the "inmates" I dealt with are either dead now just as old as I am, but I still carry for the same reason, can never trust a bad guy

·
Registered
428 Posts
About 30 years ago while out working one day in town (Mobile) I finished up a job and loaded up my gear- backed my truck out into the street and went about a half a block and there were a group of teen aged(?) folk gathered in the street and had it blocked. I stopped- they completely surrounded my truck and would not let me pass or back up. I suspected this was not going to end well- so I got on my radio and called in with the situation. I believe they could hear the radio conversation and they opened up in front of me and allowed me to go forward. After that incident I started carrying a "truck" gun. There was a lot of racial unrest around this time- especially up north. After this I started doing some range shooting on a regular basis. Even got my wife into it a little. Open carry was legal- but I did not like that Idea....so I eventually applied for a CC permit and started carrying every day back in the early 90's. I leave the house- there is a gun on my side. If I go on a trip- there is one on my side and one in the door pocket. With all the crime going on all over- I just think it's a good idea to practice and carry.
With all the criminals that have been turned loose since the pandemic started AND who knows WHAT has slipped across the border with all the immigrants......better be prepared (and carry an extra mag!).

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the early 80s, I co-managed a popular tourist attraction, and was responsible for closing down, counting out daily receipts, and transporting cash deposits at night. I bought a 4-inch S&W Mod.15 for cc. At that time, the state required permit applicants to describe why they needed to carry concealed. The Sheriff then decided if the reason merited approval.
In the late 80s, I became a LEO, and I carried concealed when off duty. It became a habit that continued after I retired.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I grew up around firearms. Grandpa was a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne in ww2, from what I’ve learned he was a corporal and served as an mp pretty frequently, and even earned a bronze star for jumping into German fire. The story he told dad before he passed was that the plane that night crashed from being shot down before the paratroopers got on the ground.

Anyway, for years I didn’t feel like I had to worry. But 2020 was what did it for me when people started rioting and talking about defunding police. I remember telling my wife that if the police wouldn’t be able to protect us we might have to protect ourselves. We actually had a protest go down the street here, thankfully things were peaceful, but those types of things opened my eyes to how quickly things can go south. So that was how I got my first handgun.

Last year after I’d gotten more comfortable with shooting I applied for my ccl. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to take more training. Where I work at I drive through some rough areas, and if I’d break down on the road especially if my wife is the car, I don’t know who might stop. We do have AAA but that can take a few minutes. One area we drive by sometimes had rioting a few years back.

It’s like I told someone just today, I don’t EVER want to hurt anyone, and I’m having to drive and see for example that there’s unrest, I’ll try to take a different route. I’ll do what I can to avoid trouble. The only time a weapon is an option is if I’m in a situation where I don’t have any other options. Hopefully I never am in that situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually I didn’t know it, but my wife had gotten a CCW years ago when their was a serial killer running around, although I knew she had gotten a gun. It was recently that she asked me to get some more ammo, that I found out and I decided to get one also.

881 - 900 of 904 Posts