Ruger Forum banner
901 - 904 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have carried openly for many years now. Started back in the sixties, with a S.A. .22 LR & a thumb strap tan leather holster. Got married in 1963, and eventually gained four new family members. We were an outdoors type of family, and spent a lot of time in the woods, so I upgraded to a S&W model 60, and got my CCW permit. And as a side note, we never had any really scary situations "in the woods" with the wildlife predators, except for an Eastern Diamondback who showed up in camp !
The time I really decided to carry 24/7 was on a Christmas shopping trip to Harrisburg Pa. As we pulled into a mall parking lot in the middle of the day, no one appeared to be around. My wife exited the car before I pulled into a parking space, and as I got out of the car a rather unsavory character was right behind her out of nowhere !! As I got out of the car, I did so with considerable noise, and displayed my almost new 1911 compact as I holstered it. In an instant, the guy spun around, & "disappeared" into the parking lot. He was gone so quickly, I have no idea how he did it !!
I have not been without my 1911 or other substantial firearm within easy reach 24/7.
Although Im now have many other options, I still handle and shoot that 1911 better than most other handguns I own under most any circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While the easy answer here may be for some "because it's my right", I'm curious if there was a particular event, situation or thought that ultimately moved you to the point of making that final decision to carry concealed?

For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.
When I managed a pawn shop in beautiful Baltimore City. Did it for 17 years, never had to drop the hammer on anyone though. I live in Pennsylvania now, and I carry here whenever I feel it may be necessary.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #904 ·
Thank you, all of you who have created this thoughtful and valuable thread. The wisdom in these pages is based on keen observation and common sense. This is the best kind.
Glad it's been of benefit to you PDF :) .

901 - 904 of 904 Posts