Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Spear and Hornady manuals and neither address +p.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
+P 38 spec only

For the most part, I could only find +P 38 special listings. Is there a SAAMI standard for 9mm +P? Even the 38 Super has +P listings in Hogden online data.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What manuals have 9mm+p

Its pretty much up to the manufacturer of each gun to deter man if their gun can handle +p ammo. They know how strong their guns are not the bullet mfg. I have Rugers and a Taurus and they either say do or don't use +p ammo. +p is pretty much a waste of money any how. Learn to hit center mass or between the eyes and the question becomes moot.

·
Registered
589 Posts
For the most part, I could only find +P 38 special listings. Is there a SAAMI standard for 9mm +P? Even the 38 Super has +P listings in Hogden online data.
The SAAMI standard for 9mm +P is 38500psi compared to 35000 for 9mm.

I do like to load some 147g loads into the +P range but not to max. I occasionally run them through my P89. I wouldn't shoot +P for everyday range use but they can have there place.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just the facts. Accurate Arms, aka Western Powders, has load data for 9 mm on their online load data in the form of a pdf file. Scroll down past 9 mm Luger and you will find 9 mm +P data for many bullets and weights. :D
I do not understand why you got all the strange comments from other members of this forum. :confused:
I do not normally carry +P in my carry firearm because it is a Kel-Tec PF9 and a little light for the extra recoil. :) If I carried a LC9 it would be loaded with +P or Cor-Bon or my +P loads. :)
And that's all I've got to say about that.

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its pretty much up to the manufacturer of each gun to deter man if their gun can handle +p ammo. They know how strong their guns are not the bullet mfg. I have Rugers and a Taurus and they either say do or don't use +p ammo. +p is pretty much a waste of money any how. Learn to hit center mass or between the eyes and the question becomes moot.
That's kind of answering the question not asked isn't it?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,665 Posts
Sr40ken, Why you don't see 9mm +P loads in reloading manuals? ...... 9mms have a small case with very minimal free volume when loaded with medium burn rate powders. Just a very slight increase in powder weight can easily drive pressures over the established limits. So ... it becomes a liability for reloading manuals when the difference in a normal load and a +P load can be as little as .1~.2 grains. I know this doesn't answer your question but it is "why".

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sr40ken, Why you don't see 9mm +P loads in reloading manuals? ...... 9mms have a small case with very minimal free volume when loaded with medium burn rate powders. Just a very slight increase in powder weight can easily drive pressures over the established limits. So ... it becomes a liability for reloading manuals when the difference in a normal load and a +P load can be as little as .1~.2 grains. I know this doesn't answer your question but it is "why".
I was simply wondering to see if we could reproduce the NATO loads. But you and others are correct, one gains little with the +P in the 9mm. Not like the .38spl. +P. I imagine at this point I'll follow Hodgdon, Hornady, Speer and Lee recommendations.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I was simply wondering to see if we could reproduce the NATO loads. But you and others are correct, one gains little with the +P in the 9mm. Not like the .38spl. +P. I imagine at this point I'll follow Hodgdon, Hornady, Speer and Lee recommendations.
I believe to reproduce NATO performance, you'd need a 115gr bullet going about 1260 FPS. Ken Water's Pet Loads has some loads that achieve this from a 5" Beretta. They are not called out as +P, and he does not use pressure testing equipment.

According to STANAG 4090, 9mm NATO has to achieve at least 400 ft-lbs of energy from a ~8" test barrel. So it's fairly stout stuff, but probably not outside the realm of some top-end 9mm loads.

Oh, and FWIW, Lyman's #49 doesn't have any +P data either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Realguns.com has some interest data on a lot of +P loadings.

I have used some of their recipes with success, however when they state Max it usually is that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't reload my 9MM to +P levels because mine are alloy frames, a Beretta 92-G Centurion and a Sig P6. When I want +P pressure level loads I just load up some Colt Super 38 Auto +P with a 115 gr JHP going 1300 FPS from my Colt Combat Commander with a 4 1/4 inch barrel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts