Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get either a nice deer rifle or shotgun. Here is the dilemma. I am comfortable with taking a deer at less than 100 yds with my Blackhawk but I want something to push out a little further. I'm thinking a .308 Ruger American. I also need a shotgun. For birds n' stuff (no duh.) I can't get both at one time. I want to get a Mossberg 500 in 12gauge. So far my arsenal includes said .357 BH and a 10/22. I want to keep it in the Ruger family but I don't like buying used so that rules out the shotgun.

I can use the family's single shot 12 we have or a Browning BLR in .243 if I don't get one or the other. Any thoughts, opinions or preferences on what firearm might fit better? Thanks in advance,
Hans13

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I can speak for the Mossberg 500 in 12gauge. Its an excellent choice for pump action. It's very versatile in that you can interchange the barrel and stocks, for birds, skeet or turkey etc. Also, there's a HD barrel and pistol grip if you choose. Very reliable, simple design and the price is very affordable.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I know this is a Ruger forum but dont be afraid to buy other brands. I've bought dozens of used guns and have never had a problem. You do need to know what to look for in a used gun though.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The one Iwould use the most before I could get the other is what I would get.
agreed. i could say what i would want, but the real issue is what do you realistically think you'll spend most of your time doing? whatever it is, buy accordingly.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hans, you live in some good bird hunting territory so I would go with the shotgun. You've got pheasant, quail, dove, turkey, etc. and you can always use slugs on deer. Then there's the fun of busting clays. We've been real happy with the Remington 870 - have three of them now. Great pump gun with millions of them out there and priced nice too. Kinda like the 10/22 of shotguns.

Regardless of brand, I see you using the shotgun year 'round for hunting and busting clays. And those $10 hand throwers work pretty good on clays too. (But you may be already set up for that.)

Good luck!

Wave

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, set on the shotgun. Wait, I suddenly have an urge to get a Sub-2000... Darn it...
Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts