Votes: 19 17.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 1.9%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it is vanity or what but I am starting to realize the look of a gun plays a larger part on if it becomes part of my collection.

There is a non-ruger hand gun that I wont name that allot of people love. Seems to work flawlessly has a good price point but just cant stand the looks so I cant get myself to consider it. I start to consider it, then look at it on line and it just turns me off.

What percentage does looks play in your gun buying decision?

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Of course looks have something to with it. Otherwise, Glock would've put everyone out of business by now. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of course looks have something to with it. Otherwise, Glock would've put everyone out of business by now. :)
ROFLMAO ..

to me it doesn't matter what a carry gun/self defense gun looks like .. black gun works for me .. you don't see them .. now, my range guns are a little different .. they all look good .. i can't shoot worth poop, but boy i sure look good .. :D

SB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes and no...

It depends on what I'm buying it for. A concealed carry I really don't care much (except 1911), but a hunting rifle, yeah, I care about looks cause it will be seen and talked about!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Nothing finer and better lookin' than a good S&W, Colt, or Ruger revolver. Especially with some fine aftermarket grips.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Looks are important to me (75%) because I am going to be seeing it every single time I handle the gun, which is very often (or at least should be).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ROFLMAO ..

to me it doesn't matter what a carry gun/self defense gun looks like .. black gun works for me .. you don't see them .. now, my range guns are a little different .. they all look good .. i can't shoot worth poop, but boy i sure look good .. :D

SB
This made me laugh. Maybe that's why I need a good looking gun so people will admire the gun so much they wont bother looking at my target :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is strictly 100% my opinion, and nothing more.

"Looks" are what got me to buy my first Ruger. I was looking at Glocks, I was eligible for their law enforcement discount. Could have bought a glock quite a bit cheaper, but IMHO Glocks are UGLY.

Spent a few extra doll hairs and brought home my SR40c instead!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I wasn't quite sure what you were looking for when you asked about gun looks. That can be taken a couple of ways. 1) Is that model of gun from the factory a good looking gun? 2) Or are you talking about a gun with blueing missing in places, chipped grips, scratches, etc.

So I'm going to assume you mean #1.

I rated it at 50%. All my guns look cool to me, though I'm tinkering with the idea of getting G26 if I can get that nickel boron model. It's probably the least ugly Glock I've seen. On the other hand, I have two Beretta's. I don't care much for the DA/SA triggers and they're kind of big for what they are. But they are two of the prettiest guns I own!

I like the looks of most guns unless they're just downright weird looking but then if they're weird enough, it might make them start to look better. I don't like the looks of the AK47, but I might wind up with one someday. Most of my guns are two tone or stainless steel. I only have one black gun, my SR40c and one blued gun, my Luger P-08. The look of the Luger was what made me have to have that gun. I think it's one of the best looking guns of all time. I've also got 4 1911's, and yes they all look way cool. My little Sig p238 looks like a 1911 that shrunk in the drier! :D My 2 XDm's are both bitone and I like their looks and then for long guns, I have an AR15, M1A SOCOM 16, FN SCAR 17S, Remington 700 SPS Stainless Steel and my Mossberg 500 tactical. The LC9 I had for a short while, was my least good looking gun, but it was bought to be carried, not to be looked at. But I gave that one to my son because I just couldn't stand the trigger.

But looks won't do it alone for me, unless it's just a pure collector. I've got to be able to shoot them well for them to stay or get into my collection. Example: Kimbers. Kimber makes some of the best looking 1911's on the market as well as their little Solo 9mm. They're just beautiful works of art. But I've heard way too many storys and seen too many videos where they jam. That's kept me from owning a Kimber. My last gun purchase was my Colt Defender. I was originally considering the Kimber Ultra Carry, but when I discovered the Defender, my mind was made up. And I've been very happy with it. I think the Defender looks as good as the Kimbers, but not better.

So, that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I care about how it feels in my hand when I pick it up, especially the 1st time.

It has to feel right or you will not want to handle/use it.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I care about looks from an engineering standpoint more than just aesthetic. I like substantial parts in a gun. I guess Rugers appeal to me because they really are "over-engineered" and "built like a tank", like everyone says.

I'm guessing the non-Ruger gun could be the Hi-Point pistol? They shoot well but are top-heavy ugly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I care about how it feels in my hand when I pick it up, especially the 1st time.

It has to feel right or you will not want to handle/use it.
I can understand that. Its funny but recently I handled a sig mosquito looked good, felt unbelievable in my hands, it just fit right, felt like it was custom made for my hands. I had to pass though because I read to many bad reviews.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I think a gun has to look good to you so that you'll want to pick it up and see how it feels in the first place. If you think a gun looks good, you're more likely to try it out.
That being said, if it's something as simple as grips, then it's no big deal to swap them out if you like everything else about the gun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I was young and in the Navy, I was issued my first sidearm. I considered it strictly as a tool. The only criteria I had for that Colt 1911 was that it worked and I could hit a target with it.

After my discharge I purchased my first sidearm as a civilian; it was a surplus Remington 1911. At that time, I also thought of that gun as a tool and nothing more.

However, with the passing years, I became the owner of many more guns. With each new purchase I became more interested in design, precision, and appearance.

Today, after having owned a considerable number of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols, visual beauty along with design and function of the weapon are the factors that motivate me to choose one gun over another.

I no longer consider a revolver or pistol simply as a tool. To me, a gun is a lethal tool to protect myself and family. I also consider the beautiful ones to be artistic culminations of a guns smiths genius. These are the ones I look to buy, not the ones that look like a machinists nightmare.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have to admit that a "cool looking gun" is a draw to me, but my idea of cool is a solid, built like a rock, standard firearm such as my Ruger Alaskan or GP100's. You have to admit those are fairly plain guns. I like strength and size to back it up, thus my interest in Rugers, but it also goes out to other large massive guns. I like anything put out by Magnum Research do to their massive bulk and strength. I voted 25%. Smithy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going along the whole looks thing. I typically prefer revolvers and lever actions. However I love the looks of the CX4 Storm carbine. Functionality and accuracy i read poor reviews but i keep considering because it just looks like fun. I never wind up pulling the trigger so to speak because because the accuracy isn't there. So I guess it has to have the looks and the functionality for it to enter my safe. I guess I am an all around picky guy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts