Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my gun club, no shooting there this month, as the range is closed for Trout season. But a buddy gave me two boxes of empty brass,(re-manufactured), .45acp sold by a local sporting goods store. I haven't bought any ammo for quite some time, factory or re-manned. The price on these boxes was $12.99 each for 230gr LRN-50 count. When the sam hill did the cost of re-loaded ammo take off ???

I think it's high time a lot more shooters started to roll their own...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The price of all ammo has really skyrocketed in the last year. That includes componet prices as well. Powder, primers, and especially bullets have really gotten ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yep, lead and powder has gone up, maybe 25%? I haven't seen the cost of primers lately as I still have a bunch. Good thing I have plenty of brass.
Gotta start looking on ebay soon for a couple of deals - especially that Speer 160gr HJSP. I really like that one and I think it's been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ive notice everything has jumped , primers here in ohio run around 23=24 per 1000 powder up 20-25 % and the berry bullets i use to pay 35 per 100 are now 53 per 1000

·
Registered
362 Posts
The price for components is up, but still it is so much cheaper than factory ammo. I recently bought a box of cowboy ammo (.45colt 250gr lnrp) for nearly $30. How can people afford to shoot this stuff. That is over $1 for every two trigger pulls.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i never have figured out the 45 colt prices???? they arent that much more to load then 45 acp i understand demand between the two but come on i know there is a lot of colt shooters out there too just dont add up to me, and usually in most factory colt loads they use a cast bullet, compared to a MJ on the 45acp so we all know thats cheaper to manufacture so i dont know??? to relaod them id say darn nearthe same price , i use the same bullet alot of the time a 200 gr lead for both colt an acp, powder is almost the same also , ??? iam guessin 15 cents apcs forthe colts an ap??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I reload in bulk, I do buy some factory but only when its on sale.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I do occasionally buy a box or two of .45 ACP or 9MM when on sale but anything else I reload. Anyone remember when the Blazer ammo was new and touted as an alterative for people that didn't reload?? In my area it's alway been as high and at times higher than any of the Win white box or Rem UMC ammo which has good reloadable brass. Pretty much the same thing with the "factory" reloads.
Baker

·
Registered
34 Posts
My lead is free, dig it out of the backstop at our range. All I pay for is powder, primers, and the cost of electricity to run my lead pot.

·
Count Ursunk
3,359 Posts
can the ruger nmbh in 45 colt be loaded to compare with the 44 mag safely?what calibers can be used in the ruger 45 colt?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes with reservations. You must have a gun in good condition, use loads you have worked up using reference manuals and chronograph, and be familiar with the different powder and components so as not to create excessive pressure conditions that can happen when running heavy loads at the edge. Others will chime in and say if you want mag loads, then buy a 44.

·
Count Ursunk
3,359 Posts
thanks jimbo....caught between a 45 colt and 454....sbh 44 would be second choice.trying to get some figures on cost of hunting loads and plinking rounds for the most economical caliber.i dont reload yet.kinda new at this and wanted something to get my wife to be able to practice with me.she is a little afraid of guns but,she needs to know how to handle one.i have a nmbh 357 that i think she could handle 38 with. ear plugs do miracles to ease the blast.how much more recoil is there between the 38 spcl and 44 spcl if i choose the sbh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.