Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - new to AR's and site. I want to use a bipod for target shooting and I want to add a 5 slot picatinny rail adapter to the handguard ... thought this was a no brainer but then I see ones that talk about being compatible with keymod and M-lok so now I am wondering do I need to get something specific for the Ruger AR556 - it only has the round holes that are about 17.4mm apart?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None that I could find that specifically state they are for the AR556, they reference the SR's and Keymod - I am guessing that they are compatible but not sure. Just getting into this AR stuff.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Hello - new to AR's and site. I want to use a bipod for target shooting and I want to add a 5 slot picatinny rail to the handrail ... thought this was a no brainer but then I see ones that talk about being compatible with keymod and MOE so now I am wondering do I need to get something special?
Thanks for your help.
The Magpul rail strips are compatabile.

They bolt through the vent holes.

My AR556 doesn't look like this anymore, but it shows that the rail strip does work:

I even changed it over when I replaced the "furniture":

Aqualung

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aqualung -

So then all M-LOK rails will attach to the vent holes or are there special ones?
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Found this info from magpul, they use a offset weld nut.

OPTIONAL RAIL INSTALL
The Optional Rail Section is intended for use on MOE® and Bushmaster® ACR™ hand guards, and may be compatible with other non-railed forends.

To install, insert the two 10-24 Button Head Screws (6) through the two holes in the Rail Section (5). Align with the appropriate vent holes on the hand guard, and thread into the Offset Weld nuts (8). Hand tighten using a 1/8” Hex Wrench.

Attachments

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Aqualung -

So then all M-LOK rails will attach to the vent holes or are there special ones?
Thanks
They *should* fit, as there really just bolts and nuts like srruger762 shows in his diagrams.

They'd surely be worth the investment to try. In the end though, the proverbial "your mileage may vary" applies. They fit on mine, but that doesn't rule out Magpul changing something...

Aqualung

·
Registered
440 Posts
Came across it on shopruger.com its made for the Ruger AR556. It's a molded polymer tri-rail that bolts to the stock hand guard.
We see where you found it... and it is made by Rogers, so it wasn't produced specifically for Ruger... Ruger just seems to be the only ones who are attempting to market that abomination. Even Cheaper Than Dirt doesn't carry it anymore!

I would avoid this... if you find you need to mount more items than a simple bi-pod, buy a proper handguard for mounting accessories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvfP2yBYBWE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I found what I need - it says it is designed for mounting in the standard vent holes - mil-spec 1913.

"Mission First Tactical E-Volv Picatinny Rail 2" Rail Black Picatinny Rail AR-15 Round Fore End 2.205" E2PR2"

Will check it out at the LGS on Monday.
Thanks Everyone for Your Input

1 - 15 of 15 Posts