Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a couple factory 10 rounders and every one of them the bullet doesn't raise out of the mag, it runs straight into the front of the lip. But only with bulk.

·
Registered
254 Posts
In my experience, if your 10/22 is having problems with many different types of ammo, then something is wrong with it. My first 10/22 stovepiped with nearly everything. It ran fairly well, but it jammed too much. I sent it in to Ruger and they replaced it with an new rifle.

My new 10/22 has only had 1 stovepipe after roughly 1300 rounds and maybe 3 failure to feeds (magazine related). I have 2 factor 10 round magazines and 1 BX-25 mag. The first 550 rounds (one range session) were Remington golden bullet, which is a SUPER dirty round. I was surprised it functioned so well, considering how dirty it was afterwards. The rest has been Federal American Eagle. A box contains 400 rounds and it cost about $23 from Sportsmans wharehouse. Inside the box are individual boxes of 50 rounds. Kinda nice, you can keep track at how much you are going through.

Federal American Eagle rounds have given me no reliability problems. Only 1 stovepipe. (it was also pretty cold out) Accuracy is fairly good, get a few fliers, but it could be my shooting. I would say it's a pretty solid buy if you are looking for good reliability and good accuracy without spending a lot of money. However, I'm confident my 10/22 would run nearly everything with Ruger mags.

As far accuracy goes with certain ammo, it depends on your 10/22. Mine might shoot best with mini mags while yours may run best with Federal bulk.

If you are having feeding issues and you have a fairly old 10/22, you might try a new extractor.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I have (2) 10/22s. They shoot CCI Mini-Mags, and Remington Golden Bullet(New and improved) flawlessly and very accurately!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have (2) 10/22s. They shoot CCI Mini-Mags, and Remington Golden Bullet(New and improved) flawlessly and very accurately!
Do you find the Golden Bullets to be dirty? Do you notice much of a difference in accuracy between the 2?

I bought two 225 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullet and I was amazed at how dirty my gun was after. I felt like I would have to go through 2 550 round boxes of Federal bulk for it to be as dirty as it was lol.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I really didn't notice how dirty they were. They function perfectly, and were very accurate too. Both my rifles really like Winchester Dynapoints too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only shot a couple different rounds through my 10/22 LR. Winchester Varmint HE and CCI Velicitor. The CCI's shot much better than the Winchester. I've attached a picture of the Winchesters, shot at 25 yards from a bench rest. I don't have a picture of the CCI's, but the grouping was much better.

Winchester Varmint HE:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Stock barrel cci varmits (stingers) bull barrel 40 grain cci velociters you dont get flyers and u dont get ones that sound like a pellet gun bc they barrelly went off and most the powder didnt burn cci is the best for me its all i shoot inless im plinking bc there alittle more expensive

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Mine only get a diet of CCI Mini Mag 40, gr. 1235 fps. round nose ammo. It seems that is what works best so I have been loading up on them for years.

They will shoot anything I put in them but like the CCI the best.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've used nothing but WWB in mine, and it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had my ruger for quite a while and still haven't found a reliable ammo that isn't too pricey. Just wanting to know what yall have had luck with in factory mags.
Federal bulk ammo shoots great in mine, on my 3rd 525rd box now and no misfires yet, or fail to feeds.
For serious hunting I use CCI's Velocitor. Same performance in the 10/22, reliability-wise. Of course the Velocitor hits a lot harder, faster bullet with more weight.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A 10/22 should shoot just about everything fine. CCI is about all I use in any .22, but it's because I have the best access to it. I use Federal and Winchester as well, but no longer shoot competition (many years gone by) so I'm not that critical.

If it can hit a soda can at 100 yards, I'm good with it. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
A 10/22 should shoot just about everything fine.

Jeff
Agreed 110%. If your 10/22 is even the slightest bit picky about ammo, something is wrong with it.

I suspect two things about this issue. One is that the vast majority of 10/22 owners find that their rifles will shoot anything reliably. They don't post anything about it on forums. That's simply human nature.

The second is that the vast majority of unreliable 10/22's have been modified, either with trigger jobs, or with aftermarket parts, or both.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts