Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently assembled a 300 Blackout AR style rifle.
For safety reason I wanted to differentiate the 300 Blackout rifle from my 5.56 rifles so I decided to put some FDE furniture on the rifle.
I like to keep my AR's black. I'm not big on aesthetics or that stuff but this was for safety reasons.
I ordered a stock, sling, magazines and Hogue grip in FDE. Everything has arrived except the Hogue grip and they're all a different color lol. I find it hilarious. The mag and stock are both Magpul FDE but somehow are two different colors.
The sling is more of a gold color and I imagine the Hogue grip is will be yet another shade of FDE. I really don't care. My rifle is built for business and the color is insignificant to it's function but I find it funny.
For what it's worth, of all the shades of FDE that occupy my rifle; the color of the stock is my favorite.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did a little research on Magpul's website and they don't even sell or make FDE magazines anymore. What I thought was FDE is called Medium Coyote Tan. So the Magpul stock color is FDE but not available in Medium Coyote Tan. And the magazine is available in Medium Coyote Tan but no Flat Dark Earth.
Also, the sling is available in MCT but doesn't come in FDE and the handguard options don't come in MCT but is available in FDE.
Confusing, I know, but to summarize it's impossible to match your Magpul stock, handguard, sling and magazine color unless it's Black.
That's just stupid.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a big FDE fan, amazingly enough I had better luck with my FDE adventures, Aero Precision FDE matched Magpuls pretty well as did the Radian Raptor charging handle. The coated parts like the safety, dust cover, and mag release I was able to specify Magpul FDE cerakote when I ordered them
View attachment 186466
I would be much happier if my parts were that color.

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,200 Posts
Every manufacturer has a different FDE, it’s annoying.
I had better luck when I assembled my carbine back in the day with all the magpul furniture in FDE matching, including the magazines.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Actually, this thread should be…..
What the hell ever happened to FDE?
😂🤣

· Registered
683 Posts
Stock looks OD green to me ...
Hmmm? ...FDE isn't the only color they all seem to have problems with. We've had a previous discussion about trying to match the color of steel slides and polymer frames. Every material takes color differently.

Check out the "OD green" grip module on my SIG 320 SC ... it's hard to tell it from the black TALON grip cover and black slide. In your hand you have look hard to see "green".

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

· Registered
2,798 Posts
I haven't looked at a Cerakote color chart lately, but the last time I looked there were at least a half dozen colors with "FDE" in the name.
And there are more colors that are definitely FDE but don't have FDE in the name. Like "Smith & Wesson Tan".

I finished this M&P .45 in S&W Tan (bottom in pic) to match the 9mm that came from the factory that way (top).

Some models from Glock, Springfield, etc. come Cerakoted, but the slide and frame don't always look the same.
My Hellcat is that way, but the mismatched colors don't bother me in the least.
If it did I would blast and re-coat it.
Awesome gun, and anyway it spends 99.8% of the time in an IWB holster where no one, even me, will see it.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
on an unrelated to color post,……

I’m seriously considering getting a .300 BO upper to swap onto one of my ARs just for a change.

So I'm definitely interested in a range report from the OP on his new rifle.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts