Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2,922 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
on an unrelated to color post,……

I’m seriously considering getting a .300 BO upper to swap onto one of my ARs just for a change.

So I'm definitely interested in a range report from the OP on his new rifle.
In laymen terms, think of the 5.56 as .40 cal (full charge) and the .300 BLK as a .45ACP full charge. Bigger, slower, and barely noticeable in power. The .77gr 5.56 completely destroys the .300BLK in every aspect, except sub-sonic suppressed. That is where .300BLK shines.

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,200 Posts
In laymen terms, think of the 5.56 as .40 cal (full charge) and the .300 BLK as a .45ACP full charge. Bigger, slower, and barely noticeable in power. The .77gr 5.56 completely destroys the .300BLK in every aspect, except sub-sonic suppressed. That is where .300BLK shines.
That may very well be,
but I have been unable to get a 70gr bullet to fly straight out of either my 20" 1/7 or 16" 1/7 AR,
I am reluctant to even try a 77gr bullet.

· Registered
500 Posts
That may very well be,
but I have been unable to get a 70gr bullet to fly straight out of either my 20" 1/7 or 16" 1/7 AR,
I am reluctant to even try a 77gr bullet.
Ahh,

Your 1/7 rate is on the "not yet" side of 77grain. Many say it will work, while others say no. That's a twist factor of 2:3, "perfect" is right at 2. You can launch the 80 and above with perfection.

Mine are 1/8 rate by purpose and excel with the 72 & 77 grainers.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What are these aspects in which 77 grain 5.56 blows supersonic 300 BO out of the water?

· Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, I have a few different shades of FDE on my American Ranch. It's tolerable and deer don't seem to mind. The funny part is, the FDE stock that came with it was the first thing to go. Now the stock is the only major part that isn't some shade of FDE.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm not the 5.56 fan, it's still just a .22 to me.
View attachment 186726
Based on the information on that chart I wouldn't say it blows it out of the water in ever aspect. I would say certain loadings of 77 grain 5.56 out of a particular barrel length can produce a marginal edge in energy foot pounds beyond 200 yards compared to certain loads of 300 BO. And even then the difference is only roughly 100 foot pounds.

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,200 Posts
Try being a remodeling contractor, I'm constantly amazed at how many shades of white exist.
or just a homeowner trying to get his wife to select a color white. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
312 Posts
FDE = Flat Dark Earth. In reality though, it's not that dark. I actually like it. Especially when it's mixed with black. FDE body/lower. Black Slide on a simi auto, makes for an attractive pistol, JMO

· Registered
500 Posts
Based on the information on that chart I wouldn't say it blows it out of the water in ever aspect. I would say certain loadings of 77 grain 5.56 out of a particular barrel length can produce a marginal edge in energy foot pounds beyond 200 yards compared to certain loads of 300 BO. And even then the difference is only roughly 100 foot pounds.
Agreed, but that's a .22 out hammering a .308...In which the .308 was specially designed to out hammer the .22. Think that over for a moment. The .300BLK was supposed to "destroy" the 5.56 to 300m, yet the 77gr .22 is not accepting that outcome.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts