Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much settled on my next purchase, a Cimarron Man With No Name 38 conversion. However, always looking ahead I am already thinking another Ruger. I already have an SP 101 357 so I may look at at a big bore next time around. Since wife tells me my gun fund is shrinking at every purchase and I have heard some of the older Ruger single actions may be even stronger than new, what should I keep my eye open for? Before we get too deep into it, I am buying the Cimarron simply because I like it, even though some folks may feel the Ruger to be the superior gun.
Thanks, Phil

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I always thought the conversions were underpowered. I do like Uberti quality though.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have pretty much settled on my next purchase, a Cimarron Man With No Name 38 conversion. However, always looking ahead I am already thinking another Ruger. I already have an SP 101 357 so I may look at at a big bore next time around. Since wife tells me my gun fund is shrinking at every purchase and I have heard some of the older Ruger single actions may be even stronger than new, what should I keep my eye open for? Before we get too deep into it, I am buying the Cimarron simply because I like it, even though some folks may feel the Ruger to be the superior gun.
Thanks, Phil
Interesting - I have never heard that about the "older Ruger single actions" vs new. Do you mean the old 3-screw vs the New Model? In the "Ruger Only" loads in reloading manuals I don't recall any caveats on older Rugers only.

Hmmmmm......unless someone can offer more information to back that up I would say you've been mis-informed. As evidence I would offer up the new models chambered in 454 Casull and 480 Ruger. The factory never offered chamberings that large in the older guns.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Interesting - I have never heard that about the "older Ruger single actions" vs new. Do you mean the old 3-screw vs the New Model? In the "Ruger Only" loads in reloading manuals I don't recall any caveats on older Rugers only.
I think he might be referring to the new mid-frame guns like the New Vaqueros and the re-issued Flattops being not as strong as the Blackhawks and the first generation of large-frame Vaqueros.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Regardless, I would recommend an OM Ruger convertible in 45 Colt/45 acp. Something like this:

45 Colt with buffalo horn grips and Randall Knife, also with horn grips.

Or a 41 Mag "Old Model" with matching knife. Bighorn grips ny Grashorn:

Or a 44 BLACKHAWK Flattop in 44 mag.

Or, if there's enough left in your account, go full out:

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Thanks, Phil
Nothing at all wrong with a Cimarron. Ubertis are as nice as the importer specs them to be from Uberti, and Cimarron requires the highest standards of any of the Uberti importers. I have three and they're all great guns. Not Rugers but they have their own, more traditional appeal.

The new models are no weaker than old models. In the same calibers the old and new models have the same steel and cylinder dimensions. The new 454 and 480 Rugers use a different, stronger Carpenter Stainless alloy for more strength.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I shoot my 1871 open top Uberti as much as my Vaquero.
It seems tiny compared to my early Vaquero.
It is accurate and light.
I wouldn't want to shoot heavy loads through it but it is fine with 200 gr cowboy action loads.
I had one of my grand kids shooting it today.
He did great with the Uberti.
The truth is when ya got several guns of the same type ya don't have to shoot everyone every time.
Enjoy having wonderful things like these beautiful pistols.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with a Cimarron. Ubertis are as nice as the importer specs them to be from Uberti, and Cimarron requires the highest standards of any of the Uberti importers. I have three and they're all great guns. Not Rugers but they have their own, more traditional appeal.

The new models are no weaker than old models. In the same calibers the old and new models have the same steel and cylinder dimensions. The new 454 and 480 Rugers use a different, stronger Carpenter Stainless alloy for more strength.
Hondo44, I always respect your knowledge on all things regarding single action revolvers. I was under the impression that there wasn't any difference between Cimarron, Taylor or regular Uberti's. My understanding was they were the exact same guns from the same assembly line and the only difference was the name of the distributer. Opinions on this on the interweb are all over the place. Some say yes. Some say no. You sound pretty sure. Educate me please. Are they the same guns or not?

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
To the OP, buy the Ruger of your choice in any configuration as long as it's a 45 Colt ( ;-) ). Any Ruger (OM, New Model, Vaquero or Blackhawk) is perfectly safe and strong enough for any over the counter ammo that doesn't specifically state "Ruger Only". Any OM Blackhawk or any New Model non-flattop Blackhawk can safely shoot "Ruger Only" loads and any Vaquero that doesn't have the words "New Model" on them can also shoot "Ruger Only" laws. Clear as mud?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So the new model Vaquero are not rated for the Ruger only loads?
I haven't heard that but it makes sense since everything is smaller

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok that's good I have only loaded "Ruger only" loads just to try them out. The recoil was phenomenal
I guess everyone has to do that to get it out of their system.
I have some healthy loads but mostly I load cowboy action Loads.
Usually 4.7 gr of trail boss powder under a 200gr lead round nose flat point.
That seems to have become my fave back yard load. It is incredibly accurate not too loud and easy on young people.
The wonderful thing about .45 colt is it is one of the oldest cartriges and one of the easiest to reload.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts