Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a Ruger Model 44 (Deerstalker) and will be taking it deer hunting this season. Just wondering what type of ammo works best with the gun.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use the Hornady leverevolution ftx. Chest shot on 200lb Whitetail at 80 yrds, blew thru the heart. Good results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Every gun is different. I run near max loads of H110 or Win 296 with a 240gr rnfp. Good javelina and hog popper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Winchester white box 240gr. seems to be the most reliable factory ammo according to all the Ruger 44 carbine users that I know, here in the northeast. They come in both soft points and hollow points. I prefer the soft points because black bear is often on the menu, but on deer, hollow points work just as well. For handloads, I like 240 grain soft points over max. loads ( according to the manuals ) of H-110 or Win-296.
Victor

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
Technic, as previously stated, "every Mini-14 is different.

Over the years, Mini-14s have had a 1:10, 1:9, and 1:7 barrel twist. That barrel twist, as well as the length of your barrel dictate the general weight-range of ammo that is best for your particularly Mini-14.
This site gives a good run-down on the barrel twist rates, but barrel length is another factor (18.5" versus 16/5"). Also, tapered versus straight (pencil) barrels.
Sunflower Ammo.com: Ruger Mini-14/30 Barrel Twist Rates

All are factors. For me, PMC .223 REM or M193 is the best of all worlds, short of hand-loading. I have both a 181-series (1:10 twist rate at 18.5" barrel length) and a 583 (1:9 twist rate as 16'5" barrel length). PMC .223 Bronze .223 REM and M193 work fine for me and my expectations, but then again: every Mini is different. I wanted an ammo that worked well for both. Generally lighter loads are better for the 1:10 twist rate and heavier loads for the 1:7 twist rate.

So not a simple question to answer.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
240 gr full power JHP or JSP are good to go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts