Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to polish up my 1992 Ruger GP 100- 3" in S/S but have no idea of what to use so I would certainly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Karol

Registered
I used 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper (use it wet) then finished up with Mother鈥檚 on many SS Rugers and a Smith as well , came out great.Flitz is also good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
My GP is in very good condition ( if knew how I would post a picture ) so I really don't need anything really heavy duty to get her looking sharp again, so hopefully the Flitz will be good enough here. Thanks to all who responded to my request and have a great weekend.

Registered
To polish or not to polish.

Thought I might add:

The stainless functionality of SS comes from added Cr and Mn. Compounds of these elements oxidize more readily than Fe and form a protective coating on the SS. SS does stain except that the stain is grey not rust colored. Removing that oxidation leaves the underlying Fe exposed. Unless your polish leaves a protective coating best to let the SS do its protecting as intended.

Registered
I bought a stainless GP100 and SP101 that both had finishes with sloppy brushing I wanted to clean up. I didn't want the mirror polished look you get from using Mothers so I used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper with the grain then finished with 1500 grit. I sparingly applied Renaissance wax which softened shine from the sandpaper and protects the finish. The brush strokes are still visible, now more uniform and protected by the non abrasive wax.

Attachments

Registered
I would like to polish up my 1992 Ruger GP 100- 3" in S/S but have no idea of what to use so I would certainly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Karol
I use Renaissance wax which protects and is non abrasive unlike Mothers that's highly abrasive and will leave a mirror finish. If you choose to use Ren wax just a little on you fingertip is all you need to apply. It dries almost immediately, then buff.:thumbsup:

Registered
I used to live on a sailboat on the O-shine. Learned to call it stain 鈥渟鈥 less steel. Depends on what series it is with how bad it rusts and what environment it lives in.

Premium Member
I use Renaissance wax which protects and is non abrasive unlike Mothers that's highly abrasive and will leave a mirror finish. If you choose to use Ren wax just a little on you fingertip is all you need to apply. It dries almost immediately, then buff.:thumbsup:
Agreed....great stuff. The tin has just over 2 ounces and it will last a long, long time. Use it as a polish/protectant. Museums use it to protect their valuable artifacts.

Also like Flitz too but use it differently, to clean the burn rings on the cylinder, or initial polishing of a feed ramp.

Also use NeverDull

Registered
Yeah, after you polish out the scratches or whatever, put on a coat or two of Renaissance. I use it on all my stainless steel guns to protect the metal. Much nicer than rubbing oil all over the outside of the gun. I've noticed that if I keep rubbing it in with my finger until it hardens, it seems to get into all the pores and requires very little buffing. It's great on wood grips too--if they're checkered, just use a toothbrush to get the wax out of the grooves.

Registered
I use the 3M Scotch Brite 64660 Scuff Pads Ultra Fine Grey for my brushed Stainless Colts and Ruger's. Semichrome Polish for a shiny finish and Renaissance wax for my high finish Pythons, Lugers and other blued guns.

Registered
I second the recommendations for Flitz........and

If you can't find it easily, though its nearly ubiquitous these days, if you have access to a
local motorcycle dealer's parts counter, there is almost always a product available there
called Simichrome that is nearly identical to Flitz, meant for the somewhat delicate
chrome exhaust parts and other trim on most bikes. Mild and easy to apply.

Just FYI, where might I acquire some of the Mother's brand polish, reading how so
many recommend it, I'd like to try some myself. Also the Renaissance Wax, thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts