Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Single Action and want to buy a Vaquero. What am I looking for "new model" or "old model"? Why one over the other?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Depends .. The old model had a longer cylinder and was beefier so you could load longer and heavier bullets ..

New model is more like a Colt SAA in size and balance at least to me it is ..
I dont have a new model but its on the list to get i do have the old style

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,480 Posts
simulatedjim, Even though we know what you mean .... and just to avoid confusion ... Old Model and New Model relates to the older Ruger SA revolvers that didn't have transfer bars and the new ones that do. All Vaqueros have transfer bars. The "New Vaquero" (marked as such on the cylinder frame) is the current production model and as Bud White stated, they have a lighter frame and cylinder than the heavy frame models.

If you buy a 357 Mag, it really doesn't make much difference. Both will shoot the same loads. However, if you get the 45 Colt version .... big difference. I own a couple heavy frame 45 LC Vaqueros and really like them. I'd gladly put up with a little extra weight in order to safely be able to shoot much more powerful loads.

Here's my Heavy Frame Vaquero Convertible 45 LC/45 ACP.

Here's another Heavy frame 45 LC

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a new model and enjoy it very much a few advantages are that the ugly afety message has been moved to the bottom of the barrell so that it is not in plain sight like it is on the old ones , you can buy them new when i was looking for mine i couldnt find any thing used.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You can also get the original Vaquero in 44 magnum. The new style only comes in 357 or 45 colt. I have an OM in 357 and love it. The grip frame fits me better and it shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Both of these are .45, the original Vaquero has a visibly larger frame and cylinder. The 'new' model sure feels closer to a Colt SA. The best solution is get both.

What BH said, I like the grip frame on the original model over the new model.

·
Registered
239 Posts

heres a pic of my 45

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wanting a .45 Colt so I guess I better start looking for an "old model". I can always get a new later on. Oh and I started the SA Ruger collection, just picked up a little Super Bearcat "old model". :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I want one of the bearcats why i dont know ..

you should be able to find the Heavy Frame pretty easy i see them used around here a lot

·
Banned
723 Posts
If you are going to do any Cowboy Action Shooting, or think you may in the future, you will be better served, IMHO, by getting a New Vaquero over the older version.

Just my $0.02.

Biker

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have 2 new model stainless Vaqueros; one in .357 with the 5 1/2" barrel and the other in .45LC with the 4 5/8" barrel. I doubt I could ever part with either. I don't hunt (other than whistle pigs every now and then) so using nuke loads in .45LC isn't an issue for me and the cowboy loads are just plain fun! I've shot some pretty hot loads in the .357 with no issues at all. I consider Double Tap to be hot since I don't reload myself. Still, with Double Tap 125gr Gold Dots it's an all-dayer.

Ed :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
targetshootr, I would consider your gun but until my regular FFL regains their license I am not having anything shipped to me due to cost of transfers. Maybe in the future if you still have it. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts