Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Now that the American line of pistols are coming out will Ruger drop the SR line in a couple of years????
It all depends on demand. Ruger routinely drops firearms from production that don't sell well enough to justify manufacturing space. In three or four decades they may have dropped everything but the Super Black hawk. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Based on the initial reviews, I don't think Ruger is going to enjoy the same success with the American Pistol as it did with the American Rifle. Ruger hit a grand slam home run with the RAR and RAP, not so much with the pistol, and they seem to be milking the American line of products they've created. Unless some significant improvements are made, I don't think the pistol will garner the same love as the RAR.

·
Registered
212 Posts
you cant overlook that the rap isn't California compliant. That will probably keep the sr on the shelves for a while barring any changes to the new rap line. with aftermarket already in gear on the rap i think at some point they make a cali model and might drop the sr. who knows. based on reviews i wouldnt be surprised if ruger modified the back side of the rap to remove some of the fat butt that it has. would seem simple to modify or change the frame design to soften that issue without having to redesign the whole gun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe the SR series will be around for quite some time in one form or another. The RAP and SR series are two different striker pistols. The RAP is a full-size heavy pistols. 30 ounces is not light by any means. I'm disappointed that they weigh that much. In contrast, the SR series are thinner and lighter. They're also proven and are still strong sellers. I hope they update the SR design to be more like the 9E but keep the stainless slideand better finish, and just drop the 9E.

The RAP = S&W M&P/Springfield XDM
The SR Series = S&W SD/Springfield XD Mod.2

That and as mentioned, the RAP isn't CA compliant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing on the American that I like (at least the one I handled) is the Trigger!!! It appears to be metal and it was smooth............
I don't like paying $400 plus for a new pistol and then having to buy a $150 trigger to get it to shoot.
I was really warming up to a SR9C, but now I've developed a wait and see attitude.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
you cant overlook that the rap isn't California compliant. That will probably keep the sr on the shelves for a while barring any changes to the new rap line. with aftermarket already in gear on the rap i think at some point they make a cali model and might drop the sr. who knows. based on reviews i wouldnt be surprised if ruger modified the back side of the rap to remove some of the fat butt that it has. would seem simple to modify or change the frame design to soften that issue without having to redesign the whole gun.
The SR series pistols aren't CA compliant either. The LC380 is only one left on the CA roster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts