Ruger Forum banner

1 - 21 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What really worries me the most is if the need comes up for me to defend myself with my weapon, will someone else with a CCW mistake me for the one who is doing the shooting and not the defending, and then shoot me? There are a lot of CCW's out there and in a room of 200 people, there is bound to be 5 or 6 folks carrying. I often put myself in this scenario while eating out. I've almost come to the conclusion that I may not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family. I don't want it that way, but then again, I don't want to do something wrong, shoot the wrong person or have someone shoot me because they don't know what's going on. It all sounds so cut and dried. Get weapon, defend oneself. Wrong. Any situation involving flying bullets would be utter chaos.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
I've almost come to the conclusion that I may not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family.
Change that to read like this and you have your answer:

I've come to the conclusion that I will not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family.

It's not your job to defend the world just because you happen to be carrying a weapon but if circumstances ever arise where you feel like you must step in to protect others just do the best you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that I will not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family.

It's not your job to defend the world just because you happen to be carrying a weapon but if circumstances ever arise where you feel like you must step in to protect others just do the best you can.
Bonk hit it pretty much on the money as far as i am concerned

I am no longer a Soldier or LEO, my concern is for mine and me. If I can assist another so be it, but my wife gets to safety first with 911 on her phone.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Don't overthink it. If you are ever truly under threat having to defend yourself you'll be so focused on the threat most everything else will be in your blinders. You'll just be glad you have a gun, any gun.

·
Registered
562 Posts
What really worries me the most is if the need comes up for me to defend myself with my weapon, will someone else with a CCW mistake me for the one who is doing the shooting and not the defending, and then shoot me? There are a lot of CCW's out there and in a room of 200 people, there is bound to be 5 or 6 folks carrying. I often put myself in this scenario while eating out. I've almost come to the conclusion that I may not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family. I don't want it that way, but then again, I don't want to do something wrong, shoot the wrong person or have someone shoot me because they don't know what's going on. It all sounds so cut and dried. Get weapon, defend oneself. Wrong. Any situation involving flying bullets would be utter chaos.
You are correct, I have allowed this thought to rumble through my what if scenarios quite often. Only carried 6 months.

In our CC class the instructor showed the recent Texas church shooting (sorry forget the name, maybe 2 yrs ago). One CC shot the guy but 5 or 6 pulled or was in the motion of pulling.

Of course it was a little different setup because everyone was facing forward and the guy started in the front. A restaurant is much different w everyone facing a different direction, but yeah I think about weapon drawn and someone whacks me from the side or back because they think I'm the perp.

Lord protect me, is my prayer.

·
Registered
743 Posts

pretty much my idea as well. Defend myself and my family first, but if a person comes in and starts randomly shooting people, and doesn't seem to stop, I would open fire if I thought I had a chance to stop them from being a "mass shooting"

I wrestle with this from time to time as well, but it would be hard for me to pull the trigger, unless my life or family was in imminent danger.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I think we had a thread similar to this a year or two back. I basically said the same thing Bonk and Terry did and I took a good rippin from the membership, one has already posted in this thread....singing a different tune now though.

I will reiterate, I carry for self defense, not public defense. I’m not taking a bullet for a stranger. If something goes down I’m gonna do my best to crawl out. I am not law enforcement nor do I have any aspirations to be law enforcement, (no qualified immunity). I don’t need a Civil suit for shooting the perp or a bystander. I’m not looking to be a hero or get the key to the city. I will use it if I feel I need to. Everybody has their own approach, that’s mine, like it or don’t.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
pretty much my idea as well. Defend myself and my family first, but if a person comes in and starts randomly shooting people, and doesn't seem to stop, I would open fire if I thought I had a chance to stop them from being a "mass shooting"

I wrestle with this from time to time as well, but it would be hard for me to pull the trigger, unless my life or family was in imminent danger.
It should be hard. You really have to make that decision ahead of time, so this topic definitely deserves some thought.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think we had a thread similar to this a year or two back. I basically said the same thing Bonk and Terry did and I took a good rippin from the membership, one has already posted in this thread....singing a tune now though.

I will reiterate, I carry for self defense, not public defense. I’m not taking a bullet for a stranger. If something goes down I’m gonna do my best to crawl out. I am not law enforcement nor do I have any aspirations to be law enforcement, (no qualified immunity). I don’t need a Civil suit for shooting the perp or a bystander. I’m not looking to be a hero or get the key to the city. I will use it if I feel I need to. Everybody has their own approach, that mine, like it or don’t.
I did the same and had several people gang up on me. One even considered it necessary to continue harassing me with PMs. I had only a few posts back then, so maybe some felt me a target to show just how much of a hero they could be.

I strongly agree with you.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
The short answer is “Yes”.

Yes, if you draw your weapon, bystanders and police officers may mistake you for the “perp” and shoot you. THAT’S why it is critically important that you draw your weapon ONLY in defense of your life or the lives of loved ones and ONLY when other options have been exhausted or are not available.

If you’re at the point where you need to take a life to protect yours, the chance of being shot by bystanders or police is a reasonable risk.

This is why I would never draw a weapon in order to intimidate or threaten: if you are justified in using deadly force, USE it. If you’re NOT justified in using deadly force, drawing a weapon is, at the minimum, “menacing”, a crime.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
When taking my class for CCW my instructor who was a retired detective made it very very clear, you are not a LEO. You will not use your weapon unless you or your family are in a life threatening situation. He went on once you draw your weapon and pull the trigger you had better know where that round will hit. Because at that moment your life will change.
I made up my mind there and then never to pull my weapon unless necessary and pray that I will never have to.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I did the same and had several people gang up on me. One even considered it necessary to continue harassing me with PMs. I had only a few posts back then, so maybe some felt me a target to show just how much of a hero they could be.

I strongly agree with you.
I'm not looking to be no hero either. If someone manages to get me involved in their miserable life, at their own peril, then so be it. But I'm not there to react to contact, secure the scene and act like I'm there to save the day.

I also wouldn't be looking to pin some blame on some CCW holder that didn't rise to the occasion while others were killed. A question I would have is why didn't those other victims have a gun to defend themselves? Have they ever watched something called the "news" or read a newspaper in their lives?

If I can help, I'll help. But people shouldn't be expecting help, but rather help themselves.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

Yes, if you draw your weapon, bystanders and police officers may mistake you for the “perp” and shoot you. THAT’S why it is critically important that you draw your weapon ONLY in defense of your life or the lives of loved ones and ONLY when other options have been exhausted or are not available.

If you’re at the point where you need to take a life to protect yours, the chance of being shot by bystanders or police is a reasonable risk.

This is why I would never draw a weapon in order to intimidate or threaten: if you are justified in using deadly force, USE it. If you’re NOT justified in using deadly force, drawing a weapon is, at the minimum, “menacing”, a crime.
My dad always told me you do not draw a weapon until you are ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Not that I'm an avid reader of the NY Times, but your post reminded me of a recent shooting so I looked it up and here is the link. Black Man Killed by Officer in Alabama Mall Shooting Was Not the Gunman, Police Now Say (Published 2018)

Talk about tragic.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Been thinking of this a lot lately too, after a recent experience.

I was in line at a convenience store when 2 guys walk right past the line and put a bunch of stuff on the counter, slap down some cash and say keep the change. The clerk said that's only $5 bucks and that's not enough.

I'm thinking this is going to go wrong and start to unzip my coat for easier access. Then I decided that I'm not getting involved in some shoplifting issue and went to the back of the store to watch because I didn't want to have to pass by them to exit.

Good news was the guys bitched and yelled and finally grabbed their $5 and left. When I finally paid for my stuff, a cop car cruised into the parking lot. Coincidence?

But this really has me thinking more about scenarios and actions. I keeping coming to the same conclusion = I'm not a cop and I will try to avoid confrontation until MY life is in danger.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
I am not going to protect the world and am not qualified to do so. I will protect my family but will use CCW as a very last resort. I would leave, run, hide or whatever before pulling a weapon and point it at someone. Your whole life changes after that and not for the better either.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'll only draw mine as a last resort if I'm backed into a corner with zero means of escape.

1 - 21 of 93 Posts