Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are carrying you have the option to engage or not in a situation. If you are not carrying you don't have that option.
Retaining as many option as I can in any situation is why my wife and I got carry permits. I cannot imagine all the situations that might arise so I train physically for the obvious, mentally for most of the rest, and pray I never hit the final category that beither physical nor mental preparation is ready for.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Who is to say your intervention will make the situation better? What may have been just a robbery could turn into a shootout with that human being dead.
^^THIS!!^^

Something I’ve learned over the decades is that events rarely turn out as you planned. And, while we may never know what might have happened had we made different choices, you can be sure that some lawyer will claim to know it...

No matter how you see the scenario playing out in your mind, there’s a chance - usually a better than even odds chance - that things will go a different way in reality.

When the urge strikes to intervene in a situation, I also try to remember that I don’t have all the information and that the situation may be very different from how it appears.

For example, a nearby police department got a call about several men with guns seen entering an apartment, followed by shouting sounds of a struggle. When they arrived, they saw three men with ”AK-47s” wearing black hoods exiting the apartment and held them at gunpoint.

It turns out that it was a group of college students filming a scene for a film production class. The rifles turned out to be Airsoft guns with the orange “safety muzzle” painted black.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change that to read like this and you have your answer:

I've come to the conclusion that I will not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family.

It's not your job to defend the world just because you happen to be carrying a weapon but if circumstances ever arise where you feel like you must step in to protect others just do the best you can.
In the same vein of thought, remember a cop doesn't so much carry a gun to protect you, as he does do protect himself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What really worries me the most is if the need comes up for me to defend myself with my weapon, will someone else with a CCW mistake me for the one who is doing the shooting and not the defending, and then shoot me? There are a lot of CCW's out there and in a room of 200 people, there is bound to be 5 or 6 folks carrying. I often put myself in this scenario while eating out. I've almost come to the conclusion that I may not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family. I don't want it that way, but then again, I don't want to do something wrong, shoot the wrong person or have someone shoot me because they don't know what's going on. It all sounds so cut and dried. Get weapon, defend oneself. Wrong. Any situation involving flying bullets would be utter chaos.
My exact sentiment glad you share intellectual privilege

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
In the past year or so, a LEO was being attacked. He was down on the ground being beaten. IIRC, the perp was either grabbing his gun or had grabbed the gun. A CHL passerby shot the perp. Saved the policeman's life.

But some on here would have looked the other way. "Not a member of my family. Not me being attacked."

·
Administrator
22,301 Posts
And who is to say yours is the only scenario?
I guess I missed where I said that. My thought was what may happen is quite likely to be different from what anyone thinks will happen. No one is clairvoyant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a lot of if',and, & but situations to consider during a quick moment of time...but the old saying of "it's better to be judged by 12 instead of carried by 6" is a big deciding factor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
pretty much echos the common thoughts on this topic

Because people are poor judges of character the only time I will ever draw my concealed weapon is if I feel somebody is about to do me harm,and of course I will scream out "Police" to remove doubts of any bystander that I'm a bad actor. I'll stand there and let a guy with a gun rob the till at the local gas station and not draw, unless he points his gun at me, he can kill the clerk and walk out. If I fire and don't take him out with the first shot I will then be responsible for every additional round he fires and of course if he never pointed the gun at me the family will call it an execution and my life will be changed, and not for the better. Video is everywhere now, and simply shooting a clerk doesn't justify me pulling my gun. Of course if he wants to eliminate any witness and points his weapon at me, then game on.

My Instructor had our class repeat and the beginning of every day of training. "I am not the police, I am are not responsible to protect anybody but myself and my family"

With more and more people with various levels of training out there and carrying concealed weapons its wise to confirm your strategy and make the hard choices about what you must do. I'd love to be a hero, but destroying my life isn't part of the equation.

Once let go, a bullet only obeys physics and if you kill the bad guy but your round also hurts an innocent bystander, you're pretty much done in the modern world of attorneys. So you take the bad guy down and while lying on the ground he starts wildly firing and kills a bystander, guess who is going to be responsible? "Had that guy not shot at the robber, my brother would still be alive" Its a hard argument to beat, and frankly if I was on a jury, I'd opt to side with the bystander family. Being issued a CCW doesn't make you a cop

That's why LEO have immunity. Things that smell bad happen.

Blend in, stay safe, and think twice

·
Registered
25 Posts
What really worries me the most is if the need comes up for me to defend myself with my weapon, will someone else with a CCW mistake me for the one who is doing the shooting and not the defending, and then shoot me?
It's so funny that you mention this as I was thinking the same exact thing last night.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In the past year or so, a LEO was being attacked. He was down on the ground being beaten. IIRC, the perp was either grabbing his gun or had grabbed the gun. A CHL passerby shot the perp. Saved the policeman's life.

But some on here would have looked the other way. "Not a member of my family. Not me being attacked."
Similar thing happened up here in MN a few months ago. Guy drives by and sees perp on top of Hwy Patrolman. Stops, and runs over and apparently asks the cop if he needs help. He screamed yes, get him off me. The samaritan graps the guy in a bear hug and pulls him off the cop and lays on top of him. Saved the policeman's life.
No shots fired, no one killed.

It seems to me that we all recognize the incredible responsible that carrying requires. Similar cases resolved in different ways. Would deadly force been warranted in the MN case? Probably. Was it necessary. Apparently not. I just hope I don't have to be in that situation to have to decide in a second what to do.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Each situation must be judged at the time. And each individual must follow their own values and conscience.

One issue to consider is as OP stated. You draw and shoot to stop a situation. LEO or another person carrying sees you with a gun, hears a shot and they react. Now you are targeted. Could happen.

Another scenario is you see an attack in progress and one person has drawn a gun and appears to be about to shoot. Is the person with the gun the aggressor or the victim?

Then there is the "mass shooter" scenario. Do you flee or try to stop the maniac?

Personally, if I believe I can judge the situation then I will come to the assistance of others. That is how I was raised. Others may feel differently. This earth is not my home anyhow. And life is full of risk.
There is always somebody who comes along and says this. A veiled inference that somehow I am a lesser person than they. Somebody who does not know me or have any idea how I was raised.

People judge situations incorrectly every day. Shooting somebody has no "do overs".

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m choosing not to get a conceal and carry permit. Way things are now I’m probably better off being the one shot. I’ll defend my property until the bitter end, but I don’t need a felony because some pos prosecutor doesn’t like guns.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I carry to protect me and my family. If someone starts shooting where I am, that qualifies. My worry is after the shots the law suits and incarceration. The way our society and politics are, that could financially destroy me so unless it is truly me or my loved ones life or death I will be a good witness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What really worries me the most is if the need comes up for me to defend myself with my weapon, will someone else with a CCW mistake me for the one who is doing the shooting and not the defending, and then shoot me? There are a lot of CCW's out there and in a room of 200 people, there is bound to be 5 or 6 folks carrying. I often put myself in this scenario while eating out. I've almost come to the conclusion that I may not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family. I don't want it that way, but then again, I don't want to do something wrong, shoot the wrong person or have someone shoot me because they don't know what's going on. It all sounds so cut and dried. Get weapon, defend oneself. Wrong. Any situation involving flying bullets would be utter chaos.
That's always a risk.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The problem with the "what if" scenario is that when it does go down it is not likely to happen the you imagine it. Each situation needs to be evaluated on the spot and decisions made, usually in haste. Are you and/or yours truly in danger? Is that little old lady about to be pistol whipped by some black hatted baddy? Or maybe she is the one who jumped into a situation she had no business jumping into? Try to be aware of your surroundings without being paranoid and with any luck, when the ca-ca hits the fan you'll have some idea of what is going on and maybe even some idea of what to do about it (if anything!). Stay safe, train as much as possible and try to keep your wits about you and your emotions in check. And as always, shoot straight!
Cheers,
crkckr
P.S. when it comes to dealing with a mass shooter or terrorist type shooters, my plan is be fair and square about it... fairly sudden and squarely in the back. The old triple tap... 2 in the spine, 1 in the back of the head! That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Change that to read like this and you have your answer:

I've come to the conclusion that I will not pull my weapon unless I absolutely must to defend myself or my family.

It's not your job to defend the world just because you happen to be carrying a weapon but if circumstances ever arise where you feel like you must step in to protect others just do the best you can.
when my wife and i go out being aware of your surroundings is important.. when we used to go out to dinner (damn Covid) and in the future i make my wife sit with her back to the door / crowd so i can see whats coming.. never sit in the middle of a room. ask to sit over there or over there.. after a few time if making my wife change seats she asked me whats up.. now she know where i like to sit.. Defend my self and family always, defend the world possibly

·
Registered
433 Posts
Threads like this always bring out the "what if" and "yeah but" brigade in force. My CPL is for personal protection, self defense, and that of my loved ones. A huge responsibility I chose to take on. If others choose not to, that's their business, just don't expect me to risk life, limb, and my future coming to your rescue. I left Vietnam a long time ago, I don't have to run toward the gunfire any more.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Quit trolling just because others don't agree with what you say.
Trolling? I don't think so.

Must I go back and quote the various people who said they would only use their sidearm if their own life or the lives of their family were in danger?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts