Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the mountains of Colorado, Northwest of the Aspen area and this summer we are going to be camping in the area, for the summer. There is a threat of Bear and Mountain lions but so far the biggest threats we have run into are people. There was an incident with a raccoon, but he left after eating the dog food that was left out. I want something I can conceal at night, around the campfire, not to disturb the other campers that will give protection against bear, lions and the worst predator of all, the human element. Any ideas of what to carry? Don't want to spend a fortune but want the comforts of peace.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in your choice of .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt. Any of these guns should well protect you and your family. You can find them used sometimes at bargain prices, or even new they are cheap insurance. Get a modern holster for it (not a cowboy rig) and they are fairly concealable. I have an El Paso Saddlery "tortilla" holster that I pack mine in if I want to conceal it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
4" .44 mag...concealable and a bit faster than a SA-also no need to cock to be really ready...no accidental discharge in a tense situation...load 44Spl for folks-or Mag for furrys...I'd load 3 Spl/3Mag and Mag reloads...the new 4" Redhawk'd do it..or a S&W M58 .41 Mag loaded lead/JHP...you could carry either IWB and noone'd know it was there...

·
Registered
576 Posts
#1 - For bear, .44Mag., 2.5" barrel...the Ruger Alaskan, only 41oz. is not inexpensive, has a very nice feeling Hogue Tamer Monogrip. Hogue hit a home run for Ruger with that grip. Go to your favorite gun shop and "feel" one. Check the Ruger accessory catalog, page 21, for their new black nylon flap holster made for the Alaskan with the red Ruger logo embroidered on the flap. Retail is only $23.95.

#2 - Ruger Alaskan, 2.5" in .454 Casull. It is a handful but I see a few on the USED market because some shooters cannot handle the full power loads. If you can handle them, it could be a bargain. You can then shoot .45 Colt in it for practice, either JHPs or reduced "cowboy" loads.

#3 - Ruger, 4" Redhawk, .44Mag., 47oz. We already know their quality.

#4 - S&W (mea culpa, Ruger fans) Mountain Gun, 4", .44Mag. only 41oz. A good condition used 4" model 29 or 629 would be okay.

I like the feel of the grip and the balance of my Alaskan better than my Mountain Gun, which is more muzzle heavy, even though it is supposedly a "lighter" 629.

The .44Mag is a great cal. I enjoy shooting it MORE than the .357 or .38 cal. To me, the .357 has an ear-piercing crack; the .44Mag. a dull loud boom.

If you reload, the .44Mag. is not expensive to shoot. If you do not reload, you can shoot .44 Specials and even cowboy loads for practice. Every serious handgunner should own a QUALITY .44Mag., either single action or double action, whichever you prefer. It's fun!

A .41Mag. would be fine in bear country too. Ruger...are you listening...how about a double action .41Mag. in a GP size? I think it would sell. In honor of our forum member Tribal and also the mountains of CO, Ruger could name the new revolver the Ruger Colorado!

We put $800 worth of tires on our SUVs and they wear out. A gun that you can trust and be proud of makes sense to me, especially if the quality of that gun will outlast most of us and it also becomes a keeper! An Alaskan or Redhawk is a keeper. Imagine the cost of either one just ten years from now!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd opt fer' a Blackhawk, either .44 or .41. Easy to shoot and 'bout as simple as it gets. Altho'...a good argument can be made fer th' Smith Mountain Gun ( got quite a bit of time with one, in addition to the Blackhawks.)

But...I also think that the lightweight Taurus Tracker series bears close scrutiny...I've heard nothing but good about them.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I would choose a .44 mag snubby. While camping, load it with .44 mags, and when in the city go with .44 spl.

If handguns are allowed where your camping, some people might take comfort if you open carry, knowing your armed in case of a bear attack. Anytime I hit the woods I wear a military pistol belt with a Taurus PT92AF in an M8 military holster. My biggest threat camping in Georgia is snakes and people, so I want the higher capacity than mag loads.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to get off the topic of Rugers, but I think, for your situation, the GLOCK 20 10mm auto might be perfect. It is hi cap, very reliable, lightweight, and has tremendous knockdown power.

I wonder why Ruger doesn't make a 10mm?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bestseller92
I wonder why Ruger doesn't make a 10mm?
Simple. They would not sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. I personally like the 10mm, but it is pretty much a dead cartridge. Only a couple of makers even make guns for it now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vote, as many above, is for a good caliber... 357 or better revolver in double action... 3-4" barrel is just about right....

don't really know about the carry laws in CO, but while out in the woods I prefer to have my side arm exposed.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I beleive your apt to have more trouble with human's rather than bears. But I think the 41 mag or 44 mag would be the better choices.
And you need to practice just buying the gun no matter who makes its or what caliber it is if you can't hit what your shooting at. Then the gun is useless to you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know that GLOCK makes 10mms, both in full size and compact versions, and they sell the crap out of them. EAA also make a 10mm, as does Smith, in a revolver.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Have no experience with bears, but for a camp gun i would have a riot gun nearby loaded with "00" and slugs.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Whatever gun you choose, get one that you intend to carry on you at all times. Any gun on you when you need it is better that a .500 mag. in the camper or where you can't reach and get it. I would worry about how well I could place the shots more than what caliber it was. JMHO

·
Registered
576 Posts
KP97DC...would you believe that today (Monday) UPS brought me a 2.75" S&W .460? I like "little" revolvers because of my small hands. I have SP-101s, S&W model 60s and a 637, a S&W 4" Mountain Gun in .44Mag., two .44Mag. Ruger Alaskans and just sold two .44Mag. 4" Redhawks...more are on the way...should have them yet this week.

You are absolutely right...a .460 or a .500 is NOT a carry gun...except in bear country! I sure do love the feel of that big frame 2.75" .460! I would order a "little" 2.75" .500, but I do not want to break my wrist! I can barely lift and hold a 8 3/8" .460 or .500 revolver. I smile every time the UPS or FedEx truck stops by...Christmas in May!

There are many good carry guns out there. It is interesting to read what the members carry, in semi-autos or revolvers, different makes and models and in a variety of calibers.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have many guns that I carry, there are veruy good reasons as to why they are not Rugers. 1 My Browning Hi- Power is slimer and liter in weight. 2. The Taurus- ultra - lite is 45 lc I do also have another Taurus a 605 which they don't make it any more. And I got cheap, I haven't found a sp 101 yet but I am looking. I do which they would make one in 44 special.
And if you use one the police are sure to pick it up, I have too much time and money invested in my Rugers. And my ladies in another mans hands not on my dead body for sure feller's.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.