Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on this forum, but I just bought my first Ruger 10/22 Carbine and I'm trying to find a decent scope for it. I've been doing some reading here and on other websites and I've narrowed it down for a few names:

- Simmons
- Weaver
- Sightron
- Bushnell

It seems like there are two schools of thought out there. Some say that no matter the rifle, you should always buy a quality scope. Others say that it makes no sense to put an expensive scope on a cheap rifle. I'm kind of leaning towards the second one. I'm looking to spend no more than $50 on it. Like I said, this is my first rifle, so I'm not looking to break any records with it. What would you recommend out of those scope manufacturers that I listed above, or perhaps some other ones?

As always, thanks in advance for all the replies.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am also a first time rifle owner but I went the mid-range route so I don't regret it later. I spent $160 on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Nikoplex. This scope is not overkill it actually is very good for the distance I am shooting up to 100 yards. My friend went the cheap route and spent $50 and it was a fix powered scope and he regretted it, had no lifetime warranty and it was limited in adjustments. This is just my opinion and personal experience. It is entirely up to you since it looks like you are on a budget.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on this forum, but I just bought my first Ruger 10/22 Carbine and I'm trying to find a decent scope for it. I've been doing some reading here and on other websites and I've narrowed it down for a few names:

- Simmons
- Weaver
- Sightron
- Bushnell

It seems like there are two schools of thought out there. Some say that no matter the rifle, you should always buy a quality scope. Others say that it makes no sense to put an expensive scope on a cheap rifle. I'm kind of leaning towards the second one. I'm looking to spend no more than $50 on it. Like I said, this is my first rifle, so I'm not looking to break any records with it. What would you recommend out of those scope manufacturers that I listed above, or perhaps some other ones?

As always, thanks in advance for all the replies.
Bushnell makes some good scopes for the money. Also, check out Cabela's caliber specific scopes. they can be had at a good price on sale.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have not looked at it yet

but based upon all of the reading I have done on the subject, I'm most likely going to put a Nikon Prostaff for a .22lr on my 10/22 I'm planning on buying.

Nikon has a strong reputation in the optics world and although you might consider the 10/22 a cheap rifle it is still fairly accurate out of the box. I'm thinking the scope is around $140 for the 40mm opening and $110 for the 32mm opening @planet optics.com

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I highly recommend the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x or, if you plan to shoot at 100 yards, the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x with BDC 150. You can't do better for the money. I have four of these Prostaff Rimfires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also heard that the rail mounts that come with 10/22 are weak. Somebody recommended getting the Weaver ones. Is that true?

·
Registered
597 Posts
It comes with weaver mount. I bought a DNZ one piece mid height for mine for $60 and it fits the scope perfectly where the front bell clears the receiver and rear iron sight (folded down). So the weaver mount just sits in my tool box.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
The actual Weaver mount (T-09, I think) is thinner than the one Ruger supplies. You can still use the irons with just the mount in place. Ruger's is high enough to interfere.

I've been happy with a $15 Tasco rimfire scope on mine, believe it or not. 3-7 X 20. Not the best scope, but holds zero pretty well and has been more than good enough for plinking. I've been using it for two years. Main drawback is that it only comes in glossy black. Has all Phillips head screws, I changed them for stainless Allen heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got one of these - Leapers UTG 4x32mm Compact CQB Scope from cheaperthandirt dot com I chose it because of the reviews that other buyers gave it.

2-UTGSCP-M432L1WQ - Leapers UTG 4x32mm Compact CQB Scope with Red/Green Reticle and Quick Detatch Rings

Pretty good deal for under $50 IMO. I think if you have a general idea what you want and then see what other buyers opinions are, it really helps make a decision.

Ps I only bought a little 30 dollar walmart number for my "secondary" Mossberg Plinkster, and that has worked just fine. I did check the buyers reviews on that one too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It is entirely up to you if you want fixed or an adjustable powered scope. I personally find the adjustable is great since I can see how close my groupings are and how much I need to adjust to hit the target right on

·
Registered
701 Posts
BSA Sweet 22. Great scope for a .22 LR rifle. You can get the older style with the adjustable objective for less than $50 if you look. This allows you to adjust for parralax at different ranges just by turning the objective. It also comes with 3 interchangable elevation turrets for different weight bullets (36, 38, and 40 gr) so once sighted in at 50 you can just turn the turret to the correct yardage and be dead on (theoretically) at different yardages. I have yet to check this feature out as I have been shooting at a 50 yard range only since I've had mine. There are no caps on the turrets so you don't need any tools when sighting in (there are set-screws so you can set your zero or change out the elevation turret.) The newer model is like 3x the price and the only difference is there is a focus turret instead of the AO.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you are not used to scopes [your first rifle] I suggest you
begin with a 'fixed' power scope.....
or the BSA Sweet 22 , as it compensates for the parallax ......
[if you don't know about 'parallax' just google it....]
If you get a variable-power scope, and change the power after you think you
have it sighted in....then you can't hit squat......and start blaming......
just read about parallax.....it'll be good for you, and you'll feel better
when you are puttin' 'em thru the same holes......

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I got a Barska 3-9X40 for under $60 and it's doing good so far? MOA clicks are audible and can be done by hand and has o-ring covers. Has amber lense covers. I used a picatinny see-through rail and UTG scope mounts, no clearance problems and I can easily swap out my red/green dot scope in just seconds or take it off for HI-Viz iron sights. Allows for co-witness too. Three in one. Works for me? Ruger supplied Weaver rail won't support picatinny stuff.
Tony

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The ceapest new. Scope I have on any of my 22s is a 3x9 Center Point illuminated I've had it for acouple years no problems. The other newer 22 scope I have is Nikon 4 power its been good no problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts