Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where there is a nice Ruger Single Six 22 caliber Convertible with Magnum and LR Cylinder, six inch barrel. Bluing is 90%. This is an earlier three screw model. Asking price is $450.00. Is it worth that?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just paid $425.00 + tax for a new one in 5½" Blued.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just bought a new model stainless single six convertible 5.5inch barrel brand new from ruger website for $570 after tax and shipping/dros fees.

That's a terrible price for a used 3 screw blued version that isn't in perfect condition.
You can literally buy a BRAND NEW blued single six convertible for $480 from ruger website.

$30 dollars more than a used one, in crappier condition, and who knows how many rounds have gone threw that old gun!??!?!

Save yourself the hassle and go with a new version.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I did some looking around some are worth more than $450 & some less all depends on condition barrel length original parts etc... l would say it depends what you can find & If you would rather have old model or new.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check for similar models on Gunbroker.com. Rod

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
That's a typical price around here for an Old Model in that condition, assuming it hasn't had the transfer bar conversion or if it has had the conversion, the old parts are still included with the gun. Yes, you can buy a new-in-the-box new model for that, but the Old Model is definitely more collectible. Those Old Models are special to us Ruger lovers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I paid $300 for a used 6.5 barrel convertible. Shoots great. And I live in California! Look around and be patient.
Howard

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Don't miss the point that the OP is looking at an old 3-screw model Single Six. These are more collectible and generally bring a premium over a new gun if in good condition. Comparing the price with a new Single Six is almost an apples to oranges comparison.

Wave

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Recently bought an old model flatgate single six....in 22 lr only from 1956 (didn't make the magnum cylinder till 1959)...it's a nice clean flatgate with lots of nice "plum"..(they are pretty collectable and awfully hard to find a nice one)...I paid $450 for it and value it (if it were for sale which it's not) at about $550-$600. I also have a couple of new model convertables...one with a 9 1/2" bbl and the other with a 5.5" as I recall (it's LNIB)...both in the $400 to $425 range...the old models, unless there is something special about them like being a flatgate or the long bbl are about the same price as the new models...there are so many of them floating around that there is not much difference in any of them..all great guns and fun to shoot. If an old model has been converted make sure you get the old model conversion parts...they can be worth over $100 by themselves...also an original red box that matches the old model revolver has collector value so that would add to the value...they bring $50-$100 on Ebay all the time...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Opos, that is a "plum pretty" Flatgate!! I personally prefer the Old Model 3-screw actions to the New Model, seem much smoother to me. But each to his own!
FT44

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a guy on ebay that makes holsters for the Ruger single six 22 in 4.62, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch barrel if anyone needs one. Big Texas Leather I think is the name. He has some cross draw as well I think. They are about $23.00

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Tommy Threeperson's holster for my 6-1/2 inch 3-screw, Super Single Six, .22 Magnum. Plus, I bought a Fitzpatrick holster for my "Long Hunter" rig. I paid $350 for the revolver in about 90% condition. I prefer the Old Model, with my being mostly a Colt or USFA, SAA person? Mine is unconverted and is about a 90%+ gun. I paid $400 for it and was glad to get it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes you can buy a new Single Six for the same price as the older three screw's. But you can not always find a three screw that is unconverted. You can how ever find a new Single Six any time any where.

$450 to me is a little high, I paid $300 two years ago for mine. But if I saw one for $450 in a shop and I did not have one it still would be worth it to me if it was unconverted. Like I said you do not see them every day. I recently traded down to a 1965 unconverted Bearcat. I can buy a M&P any day of the week. I can not buy a good condition unconverted Bearcat. They are keepers for me and I am not going to worry about the purchase price a few years down the road.

Just my 2 cents on the look at a good classic revolver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got an Old Model 3 screw single six Ruger .22 LR...In all original condition. Serial number is 337656. I want to know when it was made. The Ruger website chart is useless to me. Anyone have an idea of value and year of manufature? This revolver shoots so sweet and everyone loves the old 'Cowboy' gun. The grip is Walnut.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts