Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P-89 and a P-90, good, serviceable guns. what would be a gun, hopefully with some metal in it, that is DA/SA and has a less sloppy trigger?
I can polish and I can change springs. is there a gun that is a full size duty pistol that would have less pre-travel, over travel, slop by design than the P-series? (save your breath, I don't want striker fired or SAO).
thanks.
(I watched a video where a guy put another $600 in his $600 CZ97 and now he has a range only gun with a no takeup, 2lbs. trigger and no firing pin safety. I like to watch those videos, but that's not a gun that I would own.)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Sig Sauer P226 is one that I own that I know trumps my P-Series pistols at every turn. Of course, it cost more than twice as much. But the trigger IS sublime.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was first wondering if this was going to be a rhetorical question, because for the money the P-Series is about as good as it gets.

If not concerned about budget, Sig Sauer and the CZ75 both have much nicer triggers. Walter P99 has a decent trigger and great ergonomics.

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Mo ... I would highly recommend that you consider a CZ75b (or one of the other 75 series pistols) if your goal is a very good full sized 9mm. Time tested design, well built, great ergonomics, decent trigger out of the box and very accurate in my experience.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
IMHO, which is shared by many, the good old P95 is the best "utility" 9mm semi-auto ever built. My son has had the one I gave him, in the farm truck for at least 8 years. It's been shot thousands of time ( with the cheapest ammo he can find), dropped in a stock tank, and bounced around in the tool kit. He may even have cleaned it once or twice; I'm not sure about that. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rplewis,
This is the question. Bought a SR and I'm ready to sell it. I want the heavier trigger pull of that first SA pull p95 p345 here
way off topic-- the SR has a "good striker fired trigger" and it has a saftey, so you can run it kind of like a 1911, thumb the safety off as your getting on target. put the safety back on after shooting. the thing about striker fired triggers is that they're single action, not double action as advertised. on a Glock(no thumb safety) there is an optional, "New York" trigger, this is supposed to make a Glock safer for LE to carry. hehehehehehe. don't know if there is a NY trigger for an SR. there are some trigger parts that will make it even more of a "target only" gun.

CZ's and Sigs, huh? anybody ever shoot a PX4?(kind of reminds me of a Nash or a Hudson?).

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have a Sig and Beretta 92FS...........both meet the OPs description and in my opinion are way better than a P series Ruger. Now before the P series fans appear and tell me how wrong I am, let me say I currently own a couple P series pistols and that does not alter MY opinion.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I have a Sig and Beretta 92FS...........both meet the OPs description and in my opinion are way better than a P series Ruger. Now before the P series fans appear and tell me how wrong I am, let me say I currently own a couple P series pistols and that does not alter MY opinion.
Well hold on, my first pistol back in the day was a Ruger P89, then I got a P90DC, and now I have a P95, and I will have to say those 3 pistols got me ready for a Beretta 92FS. It felt very familiar to me, they are pretty much the same weight, same thickness, but the Beretta has a better trigger, is much more accurate, and battle proven. My brother just recently bought a Sig p226 extreme, and when I shot it the pistol did not feel like a foreign object to me. I will have to agree that the Sig or Beretta will be a confidant step up from the P series. The only difference between the Beretta and Sig is price. The Sig my brother got was a little over 1000 bucks and my Beretta was 650, and they are both fine shooters. I like the Beretta 92FS because there is a plethora of accessories and parts for it. If you can think of anything you want to put on that pistol chances are they have already made it.

Ever seen the movie Leon the Professional :D

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
.... CZ's and Sigs, huh? anybody ever shoot a PX4?
While not a big Beretta fan, I have had occasion to shoot both the PX4 full size and compact. While both were accurate and relatively comfortable to shoot, and I liked both better than the 92 FS, I wouldn't consider trading my 75b or my 2075 RAMI for either one. Just personal preference YMMV.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I have 4 P series pistols. P90, P95 and (2) P94,s. 45acp, 9mm & 40sw respectively. I would put my P90 against any stock piece for accuracy and functionality.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Almost any non-competition pistol design on the market is reliable today with any factory ammo. I love the P-series, but a Honda Civic can't be compared to a Lexus LS just because it's less expensive.

EDIT: To clarify - I love the original P-series, the 345 can go fly a kite.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will have to admit for years I thought my P89 was the "word" in 9 mm. I must have had about 30,000 rounds thru mine and had only changed out the guide rod once. It had become over the years an extension of my hand and 25 yard targets showed it. I got to thinking maybe I should start looking for a replacement to the old P89.

I had always liked the lines of the Beretta 92FS and finally bought one. For two years it sat in the safe while every time I went out shooting the P89 went with me. After 2 years I finally decided to take em both to the range and I hate to admit it but after shooting the Beretta I wish I hadn't waited so long. The Beretta out-shined the P89 in every category. Not that I don't still like the P89 but the Beretta is in another league. Smooth, accurate, much better trigger. Much more refined.

But old habits are hard to break, and when I take 9's to the range, the P89 still rides along. Just a good comfortable old friend.

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
IMO there's Sig and then there's everybody else.

S&W Gen 3's are excellent pistols and should be included in this conversation. Still not as good as Sig though. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I have a P-97 DAO .45 acp...it's a fantastic shooter and is definitely more accurate than I am!

I have a P-93 DAO 9mm...that is currently inbound and I hope to get it this week! Can't wait to take it to the range and test the accuracy of it!

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
Everybody knows I love the p series, most of the guys here have seen my complete collection. In its class, it can not be beat. However in higher classes and more money their can be better guns, more refined, with better triggers. My example like the browning highpower, hk usp, or sig, or beretta's. I like them all, but in the workhorse class, the p series is king in my eyes.;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
S&W 3rd Generation pistols are very comparable to the P Series. Heavy duty, hammer fired and reliable. My S&W 4506 and my Ruger P345 are keepers for sure.

·
Registered
780 Posts
CZ 75
Sig 226 or 229
HK USP

All will shoot more accurately than the majority of P89s-P95s

The CZ75 is steel and +p rated. It was a John Brownings design that wasn't completed. The Czechs got it sorted out quite well.

P95 will go bang every time but if you want something better and more refined, it's going to be more expensive than the P series. The P series were meant to be affordable workhorses. They also allowed many people to get into shooting because of their price point, but they aren't a match gun.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have all three of the P Series 45s, and a pair of P95s. They are great budget guns. You asked for a recommendation for a pistol that is DA/SA and better than a P Series pistol. The FNH FNX is what I would recommend.

I have an FNX-45. Its an excellent DA/SA pistol. Its better than a P Series in many ways. The FNX-45 has double the capacity of the P Series 45s(15+1). It can be carried safety off, DA first shot. It also can be carried "Cocked and Locked" safety on, SA first shot. The safety lever is also a decocker. The hammer can be cocked with the safety on. It has complete ambidextrous controls. It has a reversible backstrap with a lanyard loop. It ships with three magazines.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts