Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh thats funny.🤣🤣🤣
Drinking on Mothers Day. Not a time for a post like this.

Well, I was going to give the first person who guessed it the set of Redhawk grips I made but I guess thats out. Of course thats if they had a redhawk. I guess Ill have to figure out some other way to pawn them off.

You know, we need less people like gsseller around here. Wow, what a nice comment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ooooooh boy. He is good, and apparently smarter than the rest of us, especially me.

I had a rocky start with this cartridge but thankfully persevered and have been rewarded with some very accurate and effective loads.

On paper it looked great for a cartridge that would, inside of 500yds, be far and away more effective than the 5.56 but I bet you I burned theough 1k different bullet weights and styles, different powders by the dozen and jist couldnt get it nailed down. I haunted the 6 8 forum and was using all the right components and while Ive only been reloading maybe 7 years or so I think I have the basics down pretty good. I was doing everything they were doing and using what they were using except for one thing, my COAL's. I was sticking to charges and COAL's publoshed by the various manufacturers. I really had no idea that overall lengths, and the correspondingly higher charges that permitted, could make such a difference in the overall performance of the cartridge but it sure has.

Another big draw for me was not only its performance advantage but the fact that all of it was built out on a standard sized AR frame. All I needed was a bolt, barrel and magazines. Granted only a few mag manufacturers make them that will allow loading out to 2.295" (PRI) or 2.3" (ASC). I can get the Hornady 110gr bthp screamin out of a 16" barrel at 2630fps with a
stiff charge of A2200.

Sure, the there are other cartridges out now that best the 6.8spc but try stocking up on 6mmARC brass now and see how far you get. I didnt get far. Plus I already had a lot of the more potent 6.8 powders, primers and brass was still available when I got into it so I bought in bulk.

Anyone else shoot the 6.8?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Without checking the other clues I was going to guess 6.5 Grendel.
The Speer 90g TNT is one of the most popular bullets in the Grendel. Even though it's listed for varmints it holds together and penetrates deeply. Fantastic on feral hogs, whitetails and anything smaller.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just to be contrary, I was going to play "50 BMG" for fun.
However, I do appreciate the very clean and sanitary layout of the OP's bench.
Kudos for your organization, sir.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After 18 loading on this brass I am starting to see split necks and I wanted to see if softening the neck a little would help. 18 loadings may not sound like alot but I load the 6.8 , well, not to any published data. Ill leave it at that.
Yes, I measured the bump before and after and saw no difference. Ive done this several times before and it seemed to help me get a few more loads from it. Usually the primer pockets will go before the necks but not this time. Neck tension is also fine so, why not I say.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts