Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just to be contrary, I was going to play "50 BMG" for fun.
However, I do appreciate the very clean and sanitary layout of the OP's bench.
Kudos for your organization, sir.
I appreciate the kind words bgavin but...
Why does someone say this whenever I happen to post a pic of something on my bench?馃憤馃憤 Is it really that clean? Do I have a problem? Or, are others benches that messy?馃憥馃憥 To each their own but I need to be organized or I loose stuff. I can get alot of stuff done in a short amount of time if I can reach and grab something almost without looking. Why. Because everything is exactly where its always at. The old guy I work with? Not him. He is the most unorganized person I think Ive ever met. Good guy though.馃榿

Registered
@Bill.68, I seriously doubt the neck tension is the same. Annealing after sizing isn鈥檛 doing anything for the spring-back in the neck that鈥檚 already taken place. Yes the necks will be softer, but not same, consistent neck tension is the result of annealing, (softening) the brass prior to reforming it鈥..less spring-back.

I certainly wouldn鈥檛 use that brass for any type of load development.

• Wow
Reactions: rmichael63

"The Real Deal"
Ooooooh boy. He is good, and apparently smarter than the rest of us, especially me.

I had a rocky start with this cartridge but thankfully persevered and have been rewarded with some very accurate and effective loads.

On paper it looked great for a cartridge that would, inside of 500yds, be far and away more effective than the 5.56 but I bet you I burned theough 1k different bullet weights and styles, different powders by the dozen and jist couldnt get it nailed down. I haunted the 6 8 forum and was using all the right components and while Ive only been reloading maybe 7 years or so I think I have the basics down pretty good. I was doing everything they were doing and using what they were using except for one thing, my COAL's. I was sticking to charges and COAL's publoshed by the various manufacturers. I really had no idea that overall lengths, and the correspondingly higher charges that permitted, could make such a difference in the overall performance of the cartridge but it sure has.

Another big draw for me was not only its performance advantage but the fact that all of it was built out on a standard sized AR frame. All I needed was a bolt, barrel and magazines. Granted only a few mag manufacturers make them that will allow loading out to 2.295" (PRI) or 2.3" (ASC). I can get the Hornady 110gr bthp screamin out of a 16" barrel at 2630fps with a
stiff charge of A2200.

Sure, the there are other cartridges out now that best the 6.8spc but try stocking up on 6mmARC brass now and see how far you get. I didnt get far. Plus I already had a lot of the more potent 6.8 powders, primers and brass was still available when I got into it so I bought in bulk.

Anyone else shoot the 6.8?
Yup i also load and shoot 6.8spc in an AR along with its rival the 6.5 grendel. I use a 110 match bthp in mine with benchmark powder for accurate groups, but no where near 2.295". They wouldnt fit in my pri mags at that length. Mine are 2.250" to 2.255" range. Think the biggest problem is finding primers, all ive seen are small rifle, except the remington brass which is large primer. 6.5 grendel has the same issue, all are small except the PPU which are large primer too.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: rmichael63

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It looks like you have the old PRI mags all waffled up and everything. PRIs, at least the ones Im familiar with, allow the just about the lingest COLAs Im aware of, and according to most on the 6 8 forym, THE longest but my ASC mags will load 2.3".

The 110gr Hornady bthp is onebof the best and my favorites. Thats why I just bought 500 more of them. From what I heard they were discontinued but thankfully a crop of them have popped up for sale here and there, I got mine from there.

Alot of folks load longer than book values because they charge them over book values too. The longer COALs allow that. It has not one single thing to do with creeping up on the lands, it has to do with velocity, range, and energy.

Very fortunately for me I had been buying from a fella on GB who had sold his business and over time was selling off his inventory. I was buying bricks of CCI41 primers for $125, pounds of Vhitavuori n340, n530 and n350 for $25. This was when I very first started reloading, about 7 years ago so I had amassed quite the stockpile of primers and powders, and not just the ones I was buying from him. Unfortunately he suffered a fire at his warehouse in Murfreesboro Tenn.

I have about 5lbs of Benchmark and I think I tried it with some 110gr V-max but had no joy with it. My powders are A2200, H322, H335, H4198, R7 and R10. Believe me A2200 is THE 6.8 ppwder. I had to try the 29.5gr load of the 4198 with the TNTs because I found that a load of 28.8gr of A2200 under a 110gr bthp is a hammer out to about 500yds.

Im pretty new to the 6.8SPC and certainly dont know it all, only about 2 years, but what I know, I do know works for me and my two.

"The Real Deal"
Yup bought 6 of the pris when i bought the rifle many moons ago. Always used the pri in it, although i run a asc in my 6.5 and a few ar10 platforms. I do have one of those mags thats supposed to be able to do 5.56,25-45,7.62x39, 6.5, and 6.8 in but havent gotten around to trying it.

Mostly use cci primers with SSA brass. But dont shoot 6.8 all that much. More 5.56 than anything, but i reload for all my firearms except 22LR.

"The Real Deal"
Here is the whole rifle. Been planning to try the barnes tsx in it but haven't yet.

Trigger Air gun Automotive tire Gun barrel Machine gun

Reactions: Bill.68

Registered
Alot of folks load longer than book values because they charge them over book values too. The longer COALs allow that. It has not one single thing to do with creeping up on the lands, it has to do with velocity, range, and energy.
鈥.Are you saying the only reason people load long is to dump more powder? Can you please explain what they鈥檙e trying to achieve here? I鈥檓 the first to admit I鈥檓 not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Post 25, 3rd paragraph, last sentence.

But yes, we do "dump" more powder. There are even bullets designed so that you can use higher charges to accomplish those goals, Cavity Back Bullets. There is a hint in the name.

Registered

But yes, we do "dump" more powder. There are even bullets designed so that you can use higher charges to accomplish those goals, Cavity Back Bullets. There is a hint in the name.
Soooo, based on your statement you think people who load long do it for velocity, range and energy? I hate to tell you but your statement is FACTUALLY FALSE. The only reason people load longer than book is to achieve the best accuracy possible from their rifle, this is done by adjusting the distance from the Ogive to the lands. A seating depth change of only .005鈥 can make or break how your load prints on paper. Why? Because when you touch off a round the barrel whips/vibrates back and forth, increasing or decreasing the seating depth changes the amount of time it takes the bullet to reach the muzzle, the goal is to have that bullet leave the muzzle when the barrel has stopped moving for a split second. Once you figure that out the bullets magically start landing in the same place down range. It has ZERO to do will velocity, range or energy.

A by-product of loading long is this, it changes the internal ballistics of the cartridge. It creates more case capacity, allowing the loader to increase the weight of the charge and still maintain a 鈥渟afe鈥 pressure level. I use the word 鈥渟afe鈥 because the load still needs to be worked up, not just a 鈥渄ump and go鈥. This extra powder will also increase the muzzle velocity.

If you鈥檙e getting your information from a mentor, find a new one, if you鈥檙e getting it from a book toss it in the trash. I鈥檝e been mentoring a gentleman for 5 months and he has a thorough understanding of what he鈥檚 trying to accomplish when it comes to seating depth changes and how to do it.

Registered
One rifle that I have meets both more capacity and seating bullets out. My Ruger Number on in 257 Roberts was the one. I had read that this gun was cursed with a long throat. Therefore accuracy was down the tubes. I finally stumbled onto the answer. The gun was chambered for the legendary 3" load. This length allowed more room for the charge. Going along with this plan was a a throat intended for 100gr+. bullets. The rifle was made to step around the curse of short rounds for short actions. In loading rounds using the book COL frequently no bullet is specified. That's a piece of useless information. Load for the throat. Hopes are that in some guns the throat matches bullets feeding through a magazine. If not, have fun:mad:

The rifle is shooting internet quality groups with several bullets.

Registered

Are you on 6.8 forums? If so you may recognize me.
I鈥檝e been reloading 6.8 since 2012, and have never gotten the same case life as you. I load them pretty hot, and get up to 10 loads with S&B brass, and 4-6 from Federal which is softer brass.

Oddly enough, I get my most accurate loads with Federal brass, but the primer pockets get loose quickly. I bought a bunch of Federal brass when LWRC was doing their testing.

Registered
Hi:

Noticed that you anneal the brass. Why for how come? My military stuff for my 223 is always annealed but never heard of anyone doing it at home. Very curious on this. Thanks.
Annealing at home is a common practice, it can be done with a pipe torch and a drill or a $1400 annealing machine. Bottom line is all new brass is annealed, some manufacturers do a final polish, some don鈥檛. Why anneal? Because every time you fire and then resize the case you 鈥渨ork harden鈥 the brass. Over time the brass becomes brittle and the case necks eventually split. The annealing process causes the molecular structure of the brass to change and soften up. Annealing your brass regularly allows you get more loads out of single piece of brass, longer brass life is saving you money.

"The Real Deal"
Annealing at home is a common practice, it can be done with a pipe torch and a drill or a $1400 annealing machine. Bottom line is all new brass is annealed, some manufacturers do a final polish, some don鈥檛. Why anneal? Because every time fire and then resize the case you 鈥渨ork harden鈥 the brass. Over time the brass becomes brittle and the case necks eventually split. The annealing process cause the chemical structure of the brass to soften up. Annealing your brass regularly allows you get more loads out of single piece of brass, longer brass life is saving you money.
I anneal 308 winchester or 7.62x51 more than anything, but occassionally 5.56.

Registered
It's not a big deal to anneal your own cases. I routinely anneal case necks in most rifle cartridges. This is mainly true with the magnums. The first batch off 300 WSM had many lost cases due to split necks. All that ceased with annealing. When forming cases from now on each will get annealed. Long range blackpowder shooters also routinely anneal necks. I go along with a long life in most any rifle cartridge. You can hold the case until the head gets too warm. As this happens it possible to see the neck and shoulder change color. Try it with a butane torch from the hardware store.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts