Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was the first time in 40 years I tore down Bill Ruger's famous little automatic pistol, in this case the 1988 vintage Target Model. Took me two tries yesterday, and I decided I owed it to myself to do it again while it was fresh in my mind. Got it the first time today, tight, tight, did a little extra cleaning in the receiver area, oiled the bolt good and snap, together the first time. I think maybe a lot of folks shy away from Bill's little automatic, but what I figured out today is if you get hung on taking the bolt out or getting that takedown lever back right on the strut, point it up, if that helps good, if not pull the trigger, if that doesn't do it, point it down and if that doesn't work, pull the trigger. Angle of the dangle and trigger.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What's the big problem?.................well, as you point out, there really IS no problem, but for eons the disassembly and reassembly of this pistol has given some fits. Why? who knows...........why can some not drive a nail? It just is what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fully agree with you both. I've owned Mark ll's for about six years and after every range session I take it down for cleaning. The first time I did the dance, I was clever enough to READ the owners manual . I've never looked back. What a great pistol and what a great company,Ruger !!
I love positive post and never open those with negative titles they all remain unopened.

Thom

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
What's the big problem?.................well, as you point out, there really IS no problem, but for eons the disassembly and reassembly of this pistol has given some fits. Why? who knows...........why can some not drive a nail? It just is what it is.
It gives some people fits because the critical step on re-assembly (pulling and holding the trigger back before pointing it muzzle up) is missing from the MkII manuals. They skip directly to swinging the mainspring housing into place and latching it.

So "RTFM" doesn't help.

Once you know that, it become easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts