Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to my concealed carry class on Saturday. They let you qualify your guns before the class if you want to, so I did that yesterday. The class is really long. What do they cover and what is the test like? Is it hard at all? I've also been told it takes something like 4 months to get the license. Does it always take that long?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Don't know about Nevada. In Oklahoma its not all that hard. The instructions and written test lasts a couple of hours and you usually get your license within about a month. One of the biggest problems that we have here is getting a good set of fingerprints that the OSBI will accept. Good luck with your tests, and I doubt you will have any trouble.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I don't know about Las Vegas CCW classes, but Arkansas class was very informative... Lots of good info and tactics. The major delay is the FBI Fingerprint check... It took 89 days from the time I sent my paperwork in til I got my permit, and I have finger prints already on file from my military career... :D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
In NH you just drop off an app at your local PD, and have it within 14 days. I got mine in 24 hours. No classes, courses or anything. I still haven't decided if that's a good thing or not. I like that it's easy, but I suppose that could cause problems down the road. It's also a little scary knowing that anyone who can legally own can carry.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Kansas has 8 hours of classroom. The time is divided up between safety, the law and basic gun handling. The qualification is too easy. The cost is too high - mine cost about $300 for 4 years. I'm not sure what the renewal costs will be. Regardless, it is worth it to have the right to carry concealed. (Even though we all should be able to for free.)

·
Registered
302 Posts
It also takes a good long time after paying that 300 dollars here in Kansas. 45 days minimum 90 days usually.

I am with you rman. We should be able to carry until we are found guilty of something.

tk

·
Registered
335 Posts
"Carry Permit"
In Florida, you pick up the Federal Packet from your Gun Dealer, and go to any Prison and take your finger print card from the Federal Packet, and get Finger Printed for Free, and if your a Veteran with a Honorable Discharge, all you have to do is Fill out the forms ~ make a copy of your Discharge DD214, and take a Color Photo of yourself with a digital camera, Print it the size that will fit the Box on the Form... Then take the form to your Bank and get it Notarized with your signing it (if you have an account with the Bank, they usually do it for FREE), and Mail it ALL in the Provided Envelope... Your Discharge DD214 Counts as your I.D. (you are already in the Fed's Files) And you do not have to Pay to Take a Class...!!! Remember a Veteran already had Gun Training in Basic Training... That Counts...<:)) That's it... FREE...<:))

NOTE: Let me let me clarify that Free Statement... FREE up to that point...!!! Don't forget to put a Check in that envelope for the State (Big Brother) $117 for a 5 year Permit...<:-((

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Wow-that's streamlining the process...but where's the training and gun safety and understanding the law? Do those who're not veterans have a training requirement? I sent for a packet 3-4 years ago for Fla. non-res....never followed through on it because some of the states I was planning on using it in now recognize Tx...one won't recognize a state's permit if you don't live in that state...Fla. blazed the way in several areas...we owe them a lot of thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
In Texas they shall issue or send you a letter of rejection within 60 days. I got my license 59 days after i sent in my application and my dad got his on the 60th. I paid 125$ for the class which included 50 rounds of ammo and use of their handgun. They also supplied a notary public to verify all the papers i had to send in. I also had to pay 140$ to the state which is a nonrefundable application fee. So if you know you have some issues with your background dont bother applying in texas [8D]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am also in Florida. Just took a NRA safety course at the local gun store. 11/2 hors later got my certificate, they supplied the forms, fingerprints at the local sheriff station, notorized and 2 months I got my license

·
Registered
62 Posts
I meant to also say that the shooting test was a joke. There was a lady in my class that had never shot a pistol in her life and she qualified. The written test was pretty much common sense.

·
Registered
842 Posts
In Ky when I took mine, the class was 8 hours and interesting to me. WE had a good instructor which probably helped. He told us up front that no one would fail the test if we just paid a bit of attention and he stressed the points to remember. As far as shooting, I think if I had closed my eyes and let some point me toward the target I would have passed easily. I don't remember the exact cost for everything but the class was $75.
Last time I renewed it, the cost was $60; $40 for the State police check and $20 for the sheriff's office, but think it's gone up a few dollars since.
Baker

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Tennessee I went to a class, cost $50, was told that anyone who paid attention and could follow instruction could pass. The shooting portion was very basic and easy if you knew your firearm and had practiced. Then you go to any state driver license station and pay $115 for processing, background check and photo then you have to caall and make an appointment to get fingerprinted (electronic) then took 21 days to get the Handgun Carry Permit (H.C.P.).
$165 total and 3 different days.
Very simple and easy claass and getting background check/finger printed.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Back when I got my CWP it was two days of class and a range component.

Now I have LEOSA and don't need a CWP, but I keep it in case I'm ever under a "Disciplinary Sanction". That way I can still carry even if I'm "Suspended".

Biker

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DONALD W. WARREN

In Tennessee I went to a class, cost $50, was told that anyone who paid attention and could follow instruction could pass. The shooting portion was very basic and easy if you knew your firearm and had practiced. Then you go to any state driver license station and pay $115 for processing, background check and photo then you have to caall and make an appointment to get fingerprinted (electronic) then took 21 days to get the Handgun Carry Permit (H.C.P.).
$165 total and 3 different days.
Very simple and easy claass and getting background check/finger printed.
DONALD W. WARREN hit the nail right on the head for Tennessee.
Money well spent I might add.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts