Ruger Forum banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Model 29 S&W .44 mag, at the range, shooting a round iron target suspended by a chain at 50 feet.
First shot, offhand and no sights, hit the bolt holding the target on the chain and it fell to the ground. Everyone was pissed, thought I did it on purpose. I never told anyone the difference.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The coolest shot I ever made was a huge crow, sitting in the tip top of a big old pine tree, maybe 100 feet off the ground. I was about 12 and in the woods, sitting against a tree , looking for squirrels , with my single shot 410. The crow landed in the tree top and was calling out to his crow buddies, not the alarm call just chit-chat , so I eased over to the edge of the woods, there was a clearing and that pine tree was a good 150 feet from me and then up for another 100 feet. That crow was way way off. I put the 410 to my shoulder , and said watch me scare that sucker...no way a 410's going to shoot that far . I held about three feet over his head...and pulled the trigger.
That big rascal just sat there for like 15 seconds, seemed like a minute, then dropped off the limb and fell straight down smacked the ground stone col dead and never moved.
I was not believing that...crows usually flapped off screeching up a storm.
Examination showed that one single #6 pellet had hit just behind the eyeball and nailed the brain. It didn't have enough velocity to exit the his skull. Talk about cool.
I brought him home and practiced my taxidermy skills on him !
Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
My coolest shots were actually with bows. Once I shot a goose with a recurve at somewhere around 100 yards. One shot one kill. Had my best buds standing beside me and everyone rolled with laughter. Another one was during a bowfishing tournament when we spotted a big carp goin under a chain link fence that was out in the water. We were about 5 feet from the fence I lept off the boat with a full draw on the bow and shot right over the fence, nailed the carp, and slammed into the fence. I didn't even think at the time it was adrenaline fueled reaction. So I was hanging of this fence in the middle of the lake and all my buddies were rolling with laughter. They went around the other side and got a second shot in the fish, boated it, and picked me up. We ended up winning the tournament and the fence fish was the biggest shot out of about 25 boats that night. Picked up 2nd in the state in the NC championship tour that year. Coolest thing I ever shot was an M1 Abrams. Coolest animal ever killed was alligator.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Coolest shot was when I shot a skeet in the air with my S&W 629...Was never able to do it again.

And before people freak out about safety, I live on a 200 acre farm with no house to be seen for 8 miles!

Worst shot was when I was hog hunting and I had my crosshairs on right him, everything around was still, quiet and ready for me to take the shot. I had my savage hog hunter .308 with a 3.5lb trigger. I was squeezing the trigger and had one of those quick random hiccups...gun went off and the hog lived on.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Best shot for me, pheasant hunting in Southeastern Co. years ago. First pheasant hunt for me, 1st shot, about 45 yards, using reloads, #6 shot, full choke 12 ga. Remington 870. Nailed him! Got a couple more that day.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Another cool shot was at the skeet range with the Boy Scouts , they were getting their badges and I helped the Scoutmaster . After all the boys had qualified the fellow running the throwing machine asked me to shoot some. I explained I had recently lost the sight in my right shooting eye, using my left eye didn't work....I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I had given up ever shooting again . He looked at me and said "shoot left handed" ...I said "what ? " I couldn't figure out how to do that. He positioned my feet correctly for a left handed shooter, put the gun to my left shoulder with my left hand on the trigger and my right hand on the forearm....totally backwards to how I used to shoot, felt weird ...I'm thinking "no way this is going to work."
After he got me standing lefty, holding lefty and left hand on the trigger , he says say pull when you are ready, then just shoot as if you were shooting right handed. I yelled pull , saw the clay bird and just let my brain take over and take the shot. I looked but didn't see the bird sailing off into the field ! Where did it go ? The fellow said " Man you powdered that sucker, you nailed it ! Well that got me back into shooting and hunting again, shotgun and rifle I shoot both left handed , it works and that was 32 years ago !
Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
Parris Island Rifle Range

1988, 500 yard line, M16A2, center target hit. I had been counting down the 10 rounds on the 500 yard line. Young Cpl that was my line coach asked me why. I told him I would turn 40 before I had to qual nest year and therefore be exempt from rifle qualification. The count down was to the last round I would ever send down range. He caught the hot brass from the last round in the air and handed it back to me when he shook my hand after the line was secure. (Removal of brass from the range is a big time no-no.) Still have that casing.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
flying crow shot with 22.

Also look up Youtube-shooting Pidgeons with music. Another aiir gunner "Ted's Holdover" website. Sorry for some reason cannot post this you tube here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Several years ago, I was on the porch drinking coffee early Easter Sunday morning. My wife came out to tell me that a rabbit was in our vegetable garden doing what rabbits do in a vegetable garden. I grabbed a 10/22 out of the hall closet and went to the side porch and dispatched the rabbit in the garden at 35 yards away. Later, that morning I went up to the garden to get the rabbit and realized I had killed the Easter Bunny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Several years ago, I was on the porch drinking coffee early Easter Sunday morning. My wife came out to tell me that a rabbit was in our vegetable garden doing what rabbits do in a vegetable garden. I grabbed a 10/22 out of the hall closet and went to the side porch and dispatched the rabbit in the garden at 35 yards away. Later, that morning I went up to the garden to get the rabbit and realized I had killed the Easter Bunny!

Did you realize that by the chocolatey mess it left behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the end of an unsuccessful flint lock season , went outside to empty the rifle. Emptied the gun at a 3/4” steel pipe marking my property corner boundary from about 80’. Blew a hole clean thru it! ........Now the good part... I did it again next year! I told my boys to tell my grandkids that Pap could shoot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The coolest shot I ever made was a huge crow, sitting in the tip top of a big old pine tree, maybe 100 feet off the ground. I was about 12 and in the woods, sitting against a tree , looking for squirrels , with my single shot 410. The crow landed in the tree top and was calling out to his crow buddies, not the alarm call just chit-chat , so I eased over to the edge of the woods, there was a clearing and that pine tree was a good 150 feet from me and then up for another 100 feet. That crow was way way off. I put the 410 to my shoulder , and said watch me scare that sucker...no way a 410's going to shoot that far . I held about three feet over his head...and pulled the trigger.
That big rascal just sat there for like 15 seconds, seemed like a minute, then dropped off the limb and fell straight down smacked the ground stone col dead and never moved.
I was not believing that...crows usually flapped off screeching up a storm.
Examination showed that one single #6 pellet had hit just behind the eyeball and nailed the brain. It didn't have enough velocity to exit the his skull. Talk about cool.
I brought him home and practiced my taxidermy skills on him !
Gary
Now that is cool! One pellet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two good shots come to mind. A couple of years ago I had a nice 8 pointer come out on my right, I was 15 feet up a tree. He was walking away at a steady pace and I wanted to take him but had no time to stand up, turn awkwardly, and shoot right handed. I have practiced left handed a few times at the range and just for fun at home I would see how quickly I could get a good view through my scope. Well, it paid off. I threw it up lefty and shot him behind the ear (only killing shot I had) and dropped him dead. That was second time I've killed a deer shooting left handed but this time I only had seconds to react and take the shot.

This past fall I took a doe with my 30-06 at 310 yards using only my elbow for a rest, in a tree stand 100 yards back into the woods off of a field. I wasn't really hunting the field, could only see a little bit of it but the doe walked out and stood there for a long time. I was so busy calculating bullet drop ( I was sighted dead on in for 100 yards) and telling myself not to shoot unless I was dead steady, so all that thinkin' took my mind off of killing a deer and in all the excitement and my nerves had calmed down. I'm 52 and I've killed 52 deer up to that point, but I still get a rush every time. It's no biggie when they are close but far away is different. Using only a 7x scope I put the cross hairs about 6 inches above her back, and they were dead steady. More so than when I shoot off sand bags. Squeezed off the shot, and she fell right there. That was a long shot for this ol' boy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cousin invited me out to try out his Savage 300 Winchester magnum, anyways we set up a ceramic toilet bowl cover on top of a tree stump. Get back down to his truck and use the range finder to get the approximate yardage of said target. My cousin being the way he is thinking he is better than everyone brags he is gonna hit the ceramic toilet bowl cover since he is so "badass" takes four shots and misses every shot he fired. To the best part.... my turn comes up and whamm the very first shot I fire strikes and explodes the ceramic cover to pieces. The best part wasn't that I hit the target on the first shot from 244 yards but the priceless look and reaction on his face when he seen me nail that baby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coolest shot, was with a Taurus 357 magnum at about 20 to 25 feet or so I hit a Snapple bottle cap. Couldn't even see it the sights covered it I had to lower the gun to see it then Guess where it was, took me three shots to hit it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I caught Bigfoot stealing Apples out of Grandma's favorite tree so when he put that big red beauty up to his lips I shot the Apple with a 50BMG from 5000 yards.....Ol' Bigfoot crapped a load right there and was never seen again....

181 - 200 of 233 Posts