Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. What’s The Deal? Why are Old Model Blackhawks selling for more than New Model? Are they better? Are they worth more? Is it just ‘Collector Value’?
Sheepdog and a couple other fellers mentioned they would keep looking for used guns because of prices. I see used guns selling for more than the new ones! What’s the Deal?
Like I have said before, they ain’t Antiques. They aren’t musical instruments so they Ain’t Vintage. They are just Used Guns!
Rule of thumb on a Martin Guitar is, they lose value for ten years. In ten years they are worth what they cost, then start going up from there. That’s Vintage.
What’s the deal of these 3 screw Blackhawks? 25 years old ain't antique or vintage on a gun.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The deal is you can't buy one anymore, and they get rarer all the time as the good ones are ending up in collections. Basically, everyone wants it if they don't think they can get one. But, that being said, many folks, including me, just like to shoot the Old Models, as they are more true to the old Colt 4 click to cock style guns. The new model transfer bar is like the safety on the newer Winchester rifles, the transfer bar is not needed if you got just a small bit of common sense.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well Ya can't blame Ruger as they wanted to stay in business. I can how ever blame a lawyer real fast.

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
you right Snuffy...they got more cents than sense.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I personally have no problem with the new models. I own a bunch of them. I like the transfer bar and I don't mind the locks. I know most people hate the lock, but I don't. I've passed up many 3 screws. I'll pass up many more. But to each his or her own.

·
Super Moderator
21,691 Posts
I like the transfer bar system as it allows 6 shot carry and is obviously a safer system. To me it was the right thing to do but I'm sure other purists will disagree.

I am kind of ambivalent about the locks. I don't use them and as long as they aren't in the way I don't care. I secure my firearms in a locked gun safe other that those in use for self defense and have no children of any age in my house. I think if you choose to use them then hopefully you'll have time enough to unlock the gun and get it into action if you need it. I'm always skeptical if anyone could.

That was a digression from the topic so here goes: The old model blackhawks are in demand because of the trigger cocking systems mentioned in other posts and the actual handgun is more compact than the newer models. Many are used for caliber conversions to calibers like 44 S&W Special while many just want to own a piece of Americana. They were a great gun and the greater the demand the higher the prices.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It's like comparing a 1966 K20 to a 2007 Silverado. Both do the same but some like each for their own reasons.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But a stock 66 K20 is worth $400 and a 2007 Silverado sells for $37,000

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s not Car Show Stock Flash, that’s rustin sittin in back of the barn stock!

Wow the Deal on the link? The Box is worth $410??? YOWL!

·
Registered
987 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I seen an old model box for a 10 inch flattop sell for over $2000 on ebay!
Holy crap! [:0] I hope it had 4 guns in it! :D
Actually it was close to $2,500 for a 10" 357 flat top and NOTHING in it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It's supply and demand. I personnaly like the older new models, mainly because of the smoother trigger I find on most. However I love the old model for it's crispness, and over all feel. More like the original Colt. I do not like the skinny trigger. But there ain't nothing like the clack, clack, clack of pulling that hammer back on the old hogleg!
And no- they don't make them anymore so there are just so many to go around. But give me a good solid shooter over a safe queen any day!.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's the gun that goes in those old boxes:

Unfortunately I don't have the original box. Only 1000 of the 10" barrel .44 magnums where made, it is a real collector. I shoot it, but with very mild loads and careful handling.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very impressive gun, 454! thanks for sharing that picture. It looks Very Well Taken Care of too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The OM's are classic. The OM's are what I grew up owning and that is what I want.

·
Registered
696 Posts
No amount of explaining will cover any objects, whatever they are , that are sought after or wanted, once they are no longer available and limited to those that are still out there ( supply and demand) That is what folks use to go by , and only those that are actively "seeking/wanting" any of these objects, will determine the value.market or collectors.... now add in "replacement value" and the price escalates.................add in "condition" and as this "condition" goeas higher or it is "like/as new" mint in the box and the price will skyrocket.... if you are content with what is currently on the market or happy with a hand me down, of no particular interet or value, then so be it, YOU will be "content" and make use of this...................others, will continue to make fools of themselves, knock them selves out trying to get one of everything or try anf get them ALL...... those ae the ones we tend to be 'concerned' about..... yes, it can be borderline "sickness"..... as ofthen said on these forums, "rugeritis"............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts