Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....but you bought it anyway and LOVE IT. Sorry, the Title box wasn't long enough. Firearm, scope, safe, etc. etc.

Doesn't have to be super expensive....just relative to you.

I'll go first....Vortex Golden Eagle HD. Bought a Tikka T3x Varmint, .223. Wanted to punch one hole in paper @ 100 yards...over and over and over again (at the time 100 yard range was the longest I had). I was on an accuracy "bender". 60x on this scope is clear as day. It's a fantastic rifle and the scope just makes it amazingly more fantastic.

Have played around with all kids of distance, x settings, since new and I LOVE this scope.

Way more than I wanted to spend but hind sight being 20/20, wouldn't change it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
My Winchester xpr in .338 win mag. I was interested in the caliber for bear hunting, but didn't want to dump a bunch of money trying it out and not liking it. I bought this inexpensive bolt action, and it shoots great. Smooth bolt, well made, and very accurate. I liked it so much, bought one in .308 too. The .338 is now one of my favorite rifles, and I can load it light for deer and hogs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
32 years ago I decided to revisit my youth and shoot NRA 4 position Smallbore again. One of the friends that I was shooting with offered his services (FFL) so I took out a loan at the Credit Union for $1250 and shortly thereafter owned the then state of the art Anshutz 1813 with a set of match grade iron sights.
It has had lapses where it wasn't uncased for years at a time, but ..... parting with it has never been a consideration. Lots of money for a single shot .22 but while the iron sights have not been used in decades and 4 position is well beyond anything my knees, back or hips can stand, I never take the rifle to the range without smiling!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Alaskan 44 Mag.

The nearest bears to my home are at the zoo. I don't frequent the Rockies enough to really be too concerned about trail defense but...

I wanted a snub nose big bore. I really have almost no practical use for one but I wanted a flame thrower so an Alaskan fit the bill. Even got a shoulder holster setup for that just in case when I do visit the mountains next.

Attachments

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,754 Posts
Paid too much in 2017 to Cabelas Gun Library for a mid-1990s GP100 that was really clean. Shoots so well that I nearly have forgotten the extra hundred I gave for it, compared to other similar Rugers.

Back then Cabelas has a 10 day return policy, too. So I got to test it well. Now Bass Pro has ruined that policy, too, under their takeover.

·
Registered
410 Posts
There are several firearm accessories which I have purchased that cost way more $$ than they could possibly be worth in terms of either the amount of material or the time that went into making them. Almost every one has proven to be well worth the money spent in terms of valuable shooting aids.

Examples: Maglula UpLula loader, regular size and baby size; A plastic loading tray for K frame revolver speed loaders; Fit over the magazine push down loader helpers for 22 magazines - I need a different one for every brand of magazine; A HandiRacker "gizzie"; plus a few more similar items. All together the total cost was less than one good leather holster.

The one firearm I bought that I paid way too much for was a beautiful old, hardly used .357 S&W Model 60. One should STOP when reaching the highest amount one intends to bid when on Gun broker! But Gramps has inherited that one from me and he totally loves it. I did too when my hands weren't so bad and I could shoot it.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
My 1943 Springfield M1. It was a basket case, overpriced, shot out barrel. Springfield rebuilt it to NM specs and reparkerized the metal and glass bedded in a new walnut stock. This was in '85 and I spent almost $600 for the rifle and rebuild. Value now ... a whole lot more than that! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts