Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out turkey hunting the other day, and decided to take my Ruger M77 MKII in .270 Win out. When I got back, I wiped my gun down with a little Rem oil and put it away. I didn't think that it was cold enough to cause the gun to "sweat", well I was wrong. But wiping it down with rem oil should have stopped it from rusting right? Wrong. It had surface rust only on the barrel and the trigger guard, oddly enough. So I sprayed it down with Rem oil, grabbed some fine steel wool and gently (let me emphasize gently) rubbed it off. It looked fine so I put it away. Next day, my dad points out that it marred the finish on the trigger guard, so I looked and sure enough. Did the same thing, but to a much lesser degree on the barrel. A light rust, WHY????:( Any comments would be helpful. Need to figure out why this happened, so I don't make the same mistake twice.

P.S, I've heard a few people say that steel wool is to blame, and that I should get something called aluminum wool???

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what the heck! why would you take a 270 win for turkey hunting? you relize there wont be anything left but a couple feathers.
Not true. In PA we shoot turkeys every year with our deer guns, doesn't rip them up that bad. My dad has shot 5 with a .30-30 alone, doesn't rip them up too bad.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Some times used steel wool will leave behind it's OWN rust. Didn't get faked out with that did you?

Rem Oil, while not my fav, is a good product and I doubt it's the cause. Maybe the gun was colder than you throught and your house is more humid that you think(?).

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some times used steel wool will leave behind it's OWN rust. Didn't get faked out with that did you?

Rem Oil, while not my fav, is a good product and I doubt it's the cause. Maybe the gun was colder than you throught and your house is more humid that you think(?).
No, didn't get faked out by that. I wiped it off with a sock, to make sure of that. Definitely took some of the finish off, it's impossible to see it on the barrel without a flashlight though. On the trigger guard you can see it without a flashlight, but it doesn't look too bad, unless you look at it with a flashlight. I looked over quite a few guns with a flashlight, it's amazing what you'll see....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Best to use copper wool, then clean with solvent, then apply a coat of Renassance wax. For the internals use some Frog lube. Rust be gone.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Just a thought, but if you didn't pull the stock off when you cleaned the rest of the rifle, you might have rust growing there too. You might check it out.

I just started looking at Frog lube. I haven't tried it yet and frankly I'm skeptical of claims that sound like "snake oil" :D , but I going to try a small amount on a rifle I'm not in love with, maybe a Nagant.

Personal opinion here, but I never let steel wool anywhere near my guns. A good, complete cleaning every time I shoot a gun makes sure there are no surprises the next day, or next week. I admit it's a old habit, grown from days when my M16 was rained on everyday for three-four months, then 100% humidity for 6 months with or without rain and a few days of pretty nice weather.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I should have added, back in those rainforest days, we coated every part of our M16s with Lithium grease, and wiped off all excess, keeping it out of the barrel. We also had caps for the barrels that helped to keep a little rain out, but it was a case of clean and lube, clean and lube. You also had to keep it off the stock and grip, or else you'd soon find your rifle so slippery that you couldn't hold onto it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.