Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but many gun guys (including myself) also like flashlights. I understand the connection between guns and knives but why flashlights? Seems every gun show I have attended, there have always been tables with flashlights. I own quite a few flashlights from a little 1 cell with an LED rated at 15 lumens to ultra bright models rated at 90,000 lumens. I even have a 1 million candle power beam light that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.

I recently used my old Mini Maglite and found the batteries went dead so I replaced them. Soon after I switched the Mag light on with the new batteries, the bulb burned out. I have replaced bulbs many times in this flashlight so I normally have a few spares on hand but this time, no such luck. I decided to order some new 30 lumen bulbs and found you can buy an LED replacement pretty cheap with the same brightness. Further, I found you can buy a new Mini Maglite with a 281 lumen LED for about $20, which includes new Energizer AA batteries and a nylon sheath. So .... I went from a buck a bulb to 20 bucks. I got the flashlight in the mail today and am very pleased. It looks and works just like my old Mini Maglite except it is way brighter and the LEDs are supposed to last 100,000 hours. I'll add the new Mini Maglight to my collection of at least 20 other flashlights. Maybe some day I'll buy a new bulb for the old Mini Maglite but until then, I have a small but very bright flashlight that will come in handy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a ton of flashlights laying around. Heck I have an entire basket of them in the pantry, and yet I can never find one that works when I need it. The batteries are usually dead and if the batteries aren't dead the bulb is. I have to admit most of them are cheap conference giveaways that aren't really high quality stuff. I did get a really nice LED headlamp from my daughter that was a medical conference swag. It is really bright and works great for working on the car or anything else that requires a lot of light right where I need it. I do keep that one where I can find it and always with good batteries.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,666 Posts
My theory? We gun hobbyists tend to like well made gear. Flashlights have evolved with longer-lasting rechargeable batteries, brighter bulbs, and compatibility with many of our guns.

I am most definitely NOT the tactical-firearms sort, but I love modern lights and even got a flashlight and mount for my old Mossberg. I tend to prefer lights that I can charge off a USB port, and I am hunting for a good solar charger. I got sick of one-use batteries years ago.

A good hand-held Streamlight saved me and mine from stepping on a coiled Copperhead last summer, right in our garden path. The small light spotlit in my support hand while I dispatched the snake with my GP100.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Somehow it is ingrained in us.

Did you ever give a flashlight to a 4 year old boy?
He will be busy for some time.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
I don't have an honest answer but speaking for myself once i find something that works i stick with it. I have 2 flashlights, yes only 2. One stays in my truck that is about the size of a SR22 that has a bright beam that can be adjusted from wide to narrow. The other one is a 4 cell made from airplane grade type aluminum by Maglite that can be used in close quarter combat should that situation ever arise. She stands at the ready next to my nightstand.

·
Cat Herder
1,488 Posts
Somehow it is ingrained in us.

Did you ever give a flashlight to a 4 year old boy?
He will be busy for some time.
Or 4 year old girl. My daughter loves flashlights. She will go into the crawlspace under my house as an excuse to use her flashlight.

I've got several flashlights and headlamps. I prefer rechargeable, and my main one is Olight. I wish Maglite would put out a small rechargeable light with a push button (don't like the twist).

·
Super Moderator
21,079 Posts
Always thought a flashlight was better than a stick in the eye on the way to my deer stand early morning. I started with mini-mags and have an assortment of them from Black to Camo to Blue. I also have 3 and 4 cell mag lights. Then one day in Bay City TX I saw a small bright flashlight with Dewalt on the side so I couldn't resist. Since then I have lights with glow in the dark cases, good for bathroom sojourns in the middle of the night, small thin 2EEE lights the size of a fat pencil with a clip for T-Shirt pocket carry, a Bushnell light that press the button once for white light, 2 for red light and 3 for blood trailing magenta. I find as I'm on the other side of 70 I need a good light source a lot. The lights a inexpensive and powerful so I have one in each vehicle, one in my tractor tool box. I also have a Streamlight TLR-3 mounted on my Sig P250 C in 45 ACP and that serves nightstand duty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Flashlights help us see better. Even in a well lit room there are shadows and dark places where a flashlight will help us see. When did a screw ever fall on the floor in plane sight?

If you tinker which many gun guys do then you need a (or 20) good flashlight(s).

It seems gun guys also like to be prepared.

I don't think I can count how many flashlights I have. My newest is a multi output up to 1000 lumen, rechargeable with a cell phone cord, aluminum housing, 5.5 inches long. It's tough, easy to carry and can light up the night. I'm sure I'll lose it long before it wears out.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
I think people generally like practical and well made tools for their jobs. For my wife that may be her Swiss-made sewing machine that costs as much as all my guns combined. Or LeCreuset cookware that will last a century. Or her TechniVorm coffee maker which “coffee people” consider one of the best.

Those are tools for “her” interests and jobs. By the same token, I think you should relinquish your Man Card if you go through a blackout or storm and don’t have a flashlight on you. It seems kind of wimpy to assume the power will always be on and someone will take care of you if it goes off.

Like other durable and well-made tools that can last a lifetime, there’s the romance of memories attached to the tools as well. The missus and I have mini mag lights that were clipped to our waists every night for years in parts of Africa. It was a daily occurrence to lose public power and sometimes it would be off for half a day. It was pretty normal to be sitting around the house at night then suddenly everything was pitch black and, without a flashulight, you’re stumbling around searching for the matches and candles.

At the same time I had my giant five cell maglight that I took out hiking in the bush at night. We would light up a baobob tree at night and you’d see hundreds of eyes glowing back at you from the tiny “bush babies” crawling around the tree eating nocturnal insects.

I have no reason to trade off or upgrade those maglights and never will.

·
Exchequer
4,351 Posts
My spin on the question: many of us who embrace the world of firearms like to be prepared to handle situations that may pop up. Having a reliable flashlight -or several- is just an extension of that mentality. I have flashlights in the garage, the kitchen, the bedrooms, in our vehicles, and in our hurricane kit.

Besides, those older four D cell Maglights make a mighty fine club if the need arises.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
My theory? We gun hobbyists tend to like well made gear. Flashlights have evolved with longer-lasting rechargeable batteries, brighter bulbs, and compatibility with many of our guns.

I am most definitely NOT the tactical-firearms sort, but I love modern lights and even got a flashlight and mount for my old Mossberg. I tend to prefer lights that I can charge off a USB port, and I am hunting for a good solar charger. I got sick of one-use batteries years ago.
You might take a look at Goal Zero for solar chargers. They make a boatload of solar power gear from portable backpack camping to in home back-up power. I've had very good luck using their products over the years.

I found that (a bit expensive), Duracell makes GREAT rechargeable batteries. They have a life that matches or exceeds the regular Duracell and are rechargeable over and over and hold a long charge. Nice ALWAYS having charged batteries around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't think I've ever met a flashlight that I didn't like. When I was almost 4 at Christmas I got my first flashlight, that was 69 years ago, my world was complete at that time. Since then I have had hundreds and hundreds of flashlights over the years. Yes the new LED flashlights are great. I have one that I think might melt paint at 10 feet. But the best ones are the small high-powered ones that you can put in your pocket and just have around the house wherever you need them. I have been negligent with changing the batteries and some of the ones that are buried deep in my console, in the car and deep in kitchen drawers everywhere. But this gives me an opportunity to get a better, newer, higher output model. Some of the new LEDs with the cob LED are amazing. There again I guess I'm just a flashlight and other things collector, Junkie, whatever.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys make me feel better .... I thought I was the only gun junkie that is also a flashlight junkie.

Someone mentioned kids and flashlights .... when my grand kids were younger, every time they came to my house for a visit, they would ask to use my flashlights .... cheap entertainment and it kept them out of my hair for at least an hour.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You guys make me feel better .... I thought I was the only gun junkie that is also a flashlight junkie.

Someone mentioned kids and flashlights .... when my grand kids were younger, every time they came to my house for a visit, they would ask to use my flashlights .... cheap entertainment and it kept them out of my hair for at least an hour.
No worries. I have a small LED (usb chargeable) I always carry in my pocket, a 12 volt that plugs into my truck to recharge, one in my hooded sweatshirt that has different power levels an adjustable beam (also has an SOS setting) made from aircraft aluminum and can be used for self-defense (it's a nebo redline select), A larger one of the same model that's a 3.7 volt rechargeable with a usb adaptor that can be used to charge a cell phone. Milwaukee LED headlamp that will run for 25 hours on the low setting (plenty of light to see where your walking), along with Milwaukee 18 volt hand held and work lights. Solar and crank power lamps.

When the power goes down out here in the "Boondocks", it's pitch black. Guess I'm a flashlight, lite junkie too. (y)

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Now you’re making me remember the old metal flashlights with the sort of corrugated texture. The on/off switch always had a push button so kids could use them for Morse code.

D cell was good, but there was something cool about the size and ergonomics of a C cell light.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Now you’re making me remember the old metal flashlights with the sort of corrugated texture. The on/off switch always had a push button so kids could use them for Morse code.

D cell was good, but there was something cool about the size and ergonomics of a C cell light.
Those were kind of cool back in the day, had to be careful packing it so it wouldn't accidently push the button on and kill the batteries on the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have no reason to trade off or upgrade those maglights and never will.
Too each their own. Use what you like and if they work for you great.

If you could have more light with a smaller flashlight that is as or maybe more durable and the bulbs last longer......would that entice you? I use a flashlight daily often for several hours. It's funny walking into someones house and they ask me if I need a flashlight. I say no I have one. I pull it out and they ask if I need a bigger one. I say no, press it on and light up their house like it's never been lit up. If and when I come back they often have a new flashlight they want to show me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good question! I too have more flashlights than I will ever use. But, since I discovered that my cell phone is equipped with an LED with a flashlight icon, I haven't used a real flashlight in years.....

WR

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

I must admit I have a bit of an Olight problem! They keep bringing out new models with the magnetic charging cords that make charging easy. Brighter lighting & innovative designs have me fascinated with these lights. I’m a mechanic so I partially blame my flashlight addiction on that fact. The frustration of being burnt or breaking a bulb in the old conventional “drop lights” got me to using flashlights more often. It all started about 29 years ago when the tool trucks started selling Streamlight pocket led flashlights that were powered by (aaaa) batteries that were only available through the tool distributers, really small batteries that leaked after awhile. Since then I’ve bought a bunch of led flashlights from different sources. The latest thing is to have a rechargeable light with a magnetic base. Only thing about having a magnetic attachment or built in magnet is that newer vehicles have less metal; & more plastic, which makes that feature less useful. Nevertheless the older I get the more useful flashlights have become to me. I carry an Olight S30R Baton III in a kydex holster that came with it, in the second picture with my weapons lights every day. With a 1000 lumens on turbo it has served me well for the past 3 years. Can go up to 2 months without needing a charge under normal use. I know I have more flashlights than I need as well as firearms & knives. It’s what I like! Don’t get me started on hand tools...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts