Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Olight keeps coming out with new and better flashlights. I keep buying them. I bought 9 last year and 6 the year before. So far this year, I've only purchased 1 Olight and a Fenix.
I started out in 2006 collecting Mini Mags in every color they made. Then I started converting them to LED. It just kept growing from there. I thought those LED Mini Mags were awesome back then. Now they are just sitting in a drawer. My old lights:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I too am a flashaholic. My downfall is Olight and Fenix products. Just when I am satisfied with the lights I have they release a new model that is pocket size yet bright enough to make a rooster crow. I am a fan of Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries. Unlike alkaline batteries they do not leak and ruin the device. If you check out candlepowerforums.com you will see we are not alone in this addiction.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I too am a flashaholic. My downfall is Olight and Fenix products. Just when I am satisfied with the lights I have they release a new model that is pocket size yet bright enough to make a rooster crow. I am a fan of Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries. Unlike alkaline batteries they do not leak and ruin the device. If you check out candlepowerforums.com you will see we are not alone in this addiction.
Yeah, I love those Eneloops. Been a member of CPF since 2006. I think they turned me into the flashaholic I am LOL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have four serious fetishes - guns, knives, flashlights, and backpacks... They all just seem to fit together in my lifestyle. I read somewhere that you should never walk out of your house without a gun, a knife, and a flashlight.. I truly believe in those words and live by them...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Good question! I too have more flashlights than I will ever use. But, since I discovered that my cell phone is equipped with an LED with a flashlight icon, I haven't used a real flashlight in years.....

WR

That is getting pretty common. Whenever we have someone lost in the woods these days we know that we have to try 'extra hard' to find them before dark. Otherwise they will start using the phone as a flashlight and we lose communication with them.

Having spent lots of my working time in dark places (sometimes my most important job was to shine the flashlight so that the paramedic could see where to insert a needle), flashlights are near and dear to me.

These are just the ones that live 'on standby' in the drawer next to my computer. There are at least 4 in my truck, two old Maglights and two newer, brighter LEDs. I don't leave the house without a bright LED clipped into my pants pocket and just found a small, new Streamlight with an articulated LED that clips to my shirt pocket (or whatever) and can be aimed as desired from there which may become a favorite.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I also have a flashlight fetish to go along with my knife fetish. I have a flashlight in every room in the house and in both vehicles. I even have one by the TV/Stereo so my old eyes can see the controls. My Maglite's don't see that much use either with the advent of LED's. Thanks for the heads up on LED bulbs for them.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I think it goes all the way back to our basic , caveman DNA ...fire and light have always fasinated us . When a kid , building a big fire was thrilling , watching the flames light up the night sky ! Just about every new house built today has a fireplace or firepit ... just so we can sit and gaze into the flames . Some kind of basic instinct ...the light is comforting to us . Having a little tube that produces bright light is almost a magical thing .

That reminds me ...Hurricane Season starts tomorrow ...better go check all the magic sticks ... the hurricanes are tough on electrical lines ...two weeks without power isn't unheard of .
Katrina put the lights out even longer .
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Oh WoW gwpercle..don't get me started on my generator fetish. I live in an area that sees an occasional power outage. I think in the last 25 years we've been without power for a grand total of less than a week...but yet here I sit with two generators and a transfer switch on my main panel...and I'm even looking into a natural gas redi-power unit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love kit of all kinds, and especially flashlights, but tools and watches and any kind of gear interests me. Nowadays candlepower is easy, cheap and uses up batteries far less than even 10 years ago. I still have a couple of Surefire for go to need a light now, while cr123a's are much cheaper than back in the day, they are safe, and won't ruin a $$ flashlight. I keep a $20 cree (1)AAA clicky light in my kit bag that is 95 lumens, hard to imagine a light like that 20 years ago. Think about what your cell phone was like 20 years ago, just for comparison, lol.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think that this one will become my 'do everything' flashlight but it sure seems handy. I certainly doesn't have the 'power' of many of the new lights but I bet it does far better than my old Mini-Mag. I'd test that idea if I could remember where the Mini-Mag ended up.

Very strong clip on the back, rechargeable (pop that cover off the bottom and it will plug directly into a USB outlet - no cord needed) and it has high and low brightness in white or red light.

Bruce

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Fireescape, The bulb type Mini-Maglite with 2 AA batteries was rated at 30 lumens. My new Mini-Maglite with LEDs and 2 AA batteries is rated at 281 lumens .... quite a change plus battery drain with the LEDs is less than with a bulb.

Your Clipmate Streamlight is rated at 70 lumens.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'd like to offer a definitive answer to your question Iowegan. I donno! I just like 'em and it's hard for me to pass one up when I see one I like that I don't already have. My wife says I'm worse than a woman with all her shoes and purses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a couple of D Cell mag lights.One started at LED and the other I need to convert still. The LED is far more reliable.

My go to for the last 15+ years is a Streamlight propolymer 4AA LED model. Momentary switch at the back that works perfectly. Shockproof and impact resistant. In the 15 years I have had it. I have changed the batteries MAYBE 6 times.155+ hours runtime. Never giving it up and they are a steal now. I paid far more than what they are asking for it now and I never regretted it.

Special Features: Class I, Division 1-Approved for use in hazardous locations; Waterproof; Non-conductive and corrosion-proof.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Once you start to carry aflssh light it is amazing how often you use it.

Be careful not to buy Chinese lights (like Olight) try to get as American made as possible. Olight is popular because it is cheap and decent quality, but its a Chinese company using Chinese parts. With all the drama caused by the kung flu recently, Americans should make an effort to try supporting our country for a change.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Late to this party. I was attracted to it by the bright lights flashing out of it. ⚡ :cool:

Learned a new word here, also: flashaholic. Love it. 😅

Yes, count me in as a flashlight loving gun owner. Currently, I own two guns -- 10/22 and EC9s (Ranch Rifle likely to come) -- and two flashlights. My main f'light is a 4Sevens Quark 123 LED ( no longer produced; about 1000 lumen; uses CR 123 lithium batts with a shelf life of 10 years; I'm on my third set since 2008). The butt-mounted on/off button allows a simple half-second flash (I've visualized using it to blind an attacker at night before my first shot) or clicking to stay on. I've got it set to dim for daily use, but with a twist of the wrist, I can make it super bright. A spare set of batts rides in my emergency kit in my woods pack.

It rides in my trouser pocket at all times, whether home or away. That way, I always know where it is. And I use it a LOT. Everything from exploring a building where the new office is located in an older city, and it's not fully occupied but you need to go down into some dungeon :oops: -- to getting back to the studio from the woods outback after dark, or in camp (lots and lots there) -- to finding that tiny damn screw that I dropped on the carpet that someone mentioned earlier. It's been part of my EDK (everyday kit) since 2008. Going out? On my check list on the door are: pistol, knife (for me, nearly always a scandi fixed blade), keys, wallet (only if going to town), canteen, handkerchief, and Quark 123.

My other one for camp use is a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 (a gift). I call it "The Sun". 🌞 The sheath is molle compatible, so it rides on my Eberlestock Halftrack for serious camp situations.

My dad was a volunteer fire chief in the 50's and early 60's, and kept multiple f'lights at home, at work (he owned a business), and in his jeep. I first learned of their value from him. Then I found camping, then backpacking, then mountaineering, and haven't been without at least one ever since.

For backpacking, I started with a small Minimag that rode in my pocket. I've also owned headlamps for camping and spelunking, and need to purchase another one soon -- so useful around camp for cooking, putting up a tent after dark, etc.

Keep on shining. ☀

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started FL carry about 10 or more years ago when I borrowed a friends light to find something under a shop bench. I liked the small single AAA Streamlight he had with him everywhere. That week was the last week I have not put a flashlight in my pocket in the morning. As my buddy said, I use one everyday. As I age, all of my lights are LED. I bought an Olight Pro Seeker II on advice from a LEO and man is it bright and recharges quick.I use lithium in my streamlight and it has good life, but being able to recharge the Olights with a USB port is nice. I have three different pocket size lights and one is in my pocket if my pants are on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me, the attraction has always been tactical/safety. We were always steered toward good lights in my profession. I to have one mounted on my shotgun and I carry on or near me, a Streamlight Protac

·
Count Ursunk
3,216 Posts
Dewalt offers a 200 lumen head band lamp that works in tight closeup spaces. The band is adjustable with stretchable nylon straps. Very light and comfortable (not bulky) when you need both hands on the task. Also has motion sensor setting. I've had one for a few years now and it's been trouble free. For 25 dollars, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I must have as many flashlights as guns and I lost track of how many guns. My best is a modded 6 cell Maglite with an aftermarket led with a huge heatsink, titanium reflector and tempered glass lens. I also have a range of caps for it that range from head-knockers to glass breakers in colors. It is like a "light" AR. It lights up license plates at a mile. 😜🤠😁

21 - 40 of 46 Posts