Ruger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know why but many gun guys (including myself) also like flashlights. I understand the connection between guns and knives but why flashlights? Seems every gun show I have attended, there have always been tables with flashlights. I own quite a few flashlights from a little 1 cell with an LED rated at 15 lumens to ultra bright models rated at 90,000 lumens. I even have a 1 million candle power beam light that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.

I recently used my old Mini Maglite and found the batteries went dead so I replaced them. Soon after I switched the Mag light on with the new batteries, the bulb burned out. I have replaced bulbs many times in this flashlight so I normally have a few spares on hand but this time, no such luck. I decided to order some new 30 lumen bulbs and found you can buy an LED replacement pretty cheap with the same brightness. Further, I found you can buy a new Mini Maglite with a 281 lumen LED for about $20, which includes new Energizer AA batteries and a nylon sheath. So .... I went from a buck a bulb to 20 bucks. I got the flashlight in the mail today and am very pleased. It looks and works just like my old Mini Maglite except it is way brighter and the LEDs are supposed to last 100,000 hours. I'll add the new Mini Maglight to my collection of at least 20 other flashlights. Maybe some day I'll buy a new bulb for the old Mini Maglite but until then, I have a small but very bright flashlight that will come in handy.
I think it's in our DNA, like ignoring our wives when they have work for us (LOL). Just like we never find the perfect range bag, or holster, we never find the best flashlight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A man can never have enough flashlights. Of course, my better half has asked me: why have more than 1-2?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
AP, Wait till the light go out and she will want to know why you didn't have more.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A man can never have enough flashlights. Of course, my better half has asked me: why have more than 1-2?

Lost track of how many 'decent' (not 'tactical, multi-option ones, just compact and reliable) flashlights I have gotten for my wife. Invariably, when the power goes out or she needs to see a little better on a late night bathroom trip she will use one of her 'book lights' or something similar. I gave up asking where the real flashlights went, probably one in every purse or tote bag....
For quite a few years she has chosen a small, live, tabletop Christmas tree for our house. Usually she has killed them before it is reasonable to replant them outdoors but a few live on in pots. These trees now get 'decorated' year round with cheap battery operated strings of LEDS (which are now made in styles/colors for every Holiday?), more than once I have seen her grab a string of these lights rather than using a 'real' flashlight.

Bruce

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,292 Posts
Flashlights AND holsters for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just received a Fenix PD40R V2. Rotary switch with 5 levels, including strobe. Will do 3000 lumens. Rechargeable battery. My new Every night carry.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts