Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe you guys in the gunsmithing department can figure it out.]so the other day i decided to sight in my new american 270,(never been shot)and out of 30rds i had 4 lock up the bolt after the shot,im using winchester ballestic silver tip and power max bonded.also you can not close the bolt on shot brass,it cuts the lip at the side next to the primer,and leaves the polished ring around the casing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stop Firing!

I wish I could see more of the case head, but what I can see is an extremely flattened primer in the first photo, and it appears that your rim has flowed into the extractor groove which is clipped off when you rotate the bolt. And, you say your bolt locks up, which is a very serious sign of high pressure. I'm sure that the others were quite sticky, to say the least. The bright ring around the brass that you speak of is known as incipient case head separation, which means that the brass has stretched at the web and was close to allowing dangerous gasses to escape. Those are danger signs of a sort that cannot be ignored, and are far beyond safe levels. For you to fire another shot with whatever you are doing is likely to blow that gun up. It's not unlikely that it has already suffered damaging stress over the course of those 30 shots. You have no idea what sort of pressure is required to hammer hard brass into the extractor groove with one shot.

That is typically the result of non factory ammunition. Are you using commercially reloaded or hand loaded ammo? Regardless of the source, quit immediately, as this is very incompetently loaded ammo.

Lubrication in a chamber can jump bolt thrust, but I can't see that remaining in a chamber for 30 shots. A chamber must be DRY, with absolutely no lubrication in either it or on the brass. But what my eyes tell me and what you say is that you've got some seriously overloaded ammunition. Factory ammunition does not come that way, and it most certainly would not be an issue from more than one source, with different components. That gun has gone through a beating and should be checked by a competent gunsmith before you fire it again. Destroy that brass by flattening it. It will come apart if it's ever loaded again, and even if the gun survives the shot, it will cut a groove in your chamber, ruining it.

Sorry this is in red, but you're way into neverland with that situation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input,i only use factory ammo,i had it lock up on me on 3 kinds of ammo winchester powermax bonded.ballestic silver point,and hornady.i sent it back to ruger and they gave me replacement gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts