Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resident expert chimes in and gets part of it. So, which is it, .45 or .44 mag?

Jman8182

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Serial # was 1996, but they made both .44mag and .45 long Colts with same series of serial numbers. First time in my life that I've ever been wrong. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the gun in the box.

Since no one else is playing, I was testing everyone's knowledge of the catalog numbers.
I'm just learning this stuff. The BNV makes it a case hardened Vaquero. The 455 makes it a .45LC with 5" barrel. I think, the IE makes it engraved with gold fill. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jman8182

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those grips are not factory. I added them to try to bring out the gold on the cylinder. It came with the poly ivory grips.

Jman8182

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

A Beautiful Gun. :) There are some of the Codes in this Thread. http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=369
It looks like those codes are for the bottom feeders. The only bottom feeders I own right now are .22's. I'm thinking about a .40SW with a accessory rail.

Jman8182

·
Registered
681 Posts
Having been in the "box" business for over 25 years now, yes, you will see and come across "errors" from the 'printer' and even wrong models in other boxes.Same goes for the early two piece boxes. Ruger, like all the other gun companies did not waste or throw away much, so would just put another "printed" label to cover the gun, in that box.
As for it being "case hardened", they are NOT, they "case colored" and Ruger uses a chemical coating, so it would be "BCC" blue, color case.......

Nice grips by the way. Are those Carys' work by chance??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
well learned something today thanks.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Hey rugerguy - the misprint begs an answer - since the printing of the label is computer made, and there is no such thing as a 45 Magnum, someone would have to physically make the error of putting in the caliber deesignation. Guess they are going too fast to double check their own work. I would have thought there would be boxes to check or something that then prints out the label and the only input would be the serial number. Guess not. So how does the label business work over there at the factory?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Never would know , could be simply "oversight", could be a tongue in cheek, little inside joke, play stupid, for kicks, see if anyone "notices". Or they only look at the serial number, nothing else. You would figure someone, (QC) shipping? would see it and correct it.
Jman, no the Vaqueros are NOT "case hardened, they are 'heat treated' but not "color case hardened"; as 4140 chrome -moly casting is a "complex" metal, the high temperature of "case hardening" to color" will make the metal 'brittle'. Most companies that "color case harden" will NOT do Rugers, and if they do , like Doug Turnbull, they have another "process" ( lower tremperature?) to actually "color" case but not a true case harden. We had one years ago, that was 'color case "hardened" and it (the cylinder frame) broke apart, in the top strap, looked like it crumbled. Never got to keep the gun and have no clue what the guy did with it or what happened, he was one of our 'customers' at our first. Ruger refused to do the job, he sent it out, somewhere and that happened.
The Vaqueros have a 'chemical coating' with I'd guess, a clear coat over it to protect it and this "effect" gives the finish you see. Once you are through the clear coat or fail to take care of the guns surface,it can wear off and will rust., fade, actually "go away"....
I recently stripped one, the rest of the way, removing all the 'color case" and just "reblued" the entire gun and it looked 'awesome'..............

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Dan, thanks for the info. Glad you came on over to this forum as well. Your knowledge on boxes and all things Ruger is much needed and appreciated.
On the case coloring, I much prefer the blue example you posted. Thanks for sharing. Post pics anytime!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts