Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure who you bought it from, but you got a bad one. Missing the gas rings is not a simple mistake. It shows poor workmanship and almost sheer stupidity. I wonder what else is missing or not installed properly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just cannot believe that the rifle could have left the Ruger plant with two gas rings missing. Who in the name of blazes do they have assembling these things. Whoever put that bolt together and let it go out for sale, should be fired. Period.

If I were you I would send pictures of this flub to the CEO. Just pathetic. These horror stories are one of the main reasons I will no longer purchase anything new from Ruger. Smith and Wesson, Remington....they are all in the same boat. QC thrown to the wind in the name of $$$$. They won't get a cent of my hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On the ruger.com site is a link to contact Mr. Fifer directly plus other Customer service links.
My experiences with them have been great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On the ruger.com site is a link to contact Mr. Fifer directly plus other Customer service links.
My experiences with them have been great.
Thanks for the idea, I just wrote him a detailed email about the issues and some pictures.

Tried to be positive, but get the point across.

Also called Ruger and got return authorization number, at this point, I think they need to get it to a tech and have the entire rifle looked over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aren't the AR-556 made in NC near Charlotte? I work in Raleigh and the, dare I say, work ethics of some individuals is not the same as they are back in OH. And let us not forget Ruger has a huge push to sell a few million guns which surely affects quality.

Once I had to replace 75 control valve stems, all 20' above the floor, because someone running the press that did the staking wasn't quite getting the job done. These things happen in Mfg all the time.

As for what seems to be lesser quality from the major Mfgs, well if it's a publicly traded "shareholder value" driven company then...just sayin'.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
Aren't the AR-556 made in NC near Charlotte? I work in Raleigh and the, dare I say, work ethics of some individuals is not the same as they are back in OH.
I can assure you that in the bigger cities here that their is a lack of professionalism by some individuals as you stated, however if you get out into the country, or away from the heavily urbanized area's, its more so the exact opposite, lots of people that are particular, meticulous, and proud to put their name on their work. Just sayin.;)

As for the bolt missing the gas rings, ahhh you need 3 or a 1 piece McFarland to make the rifle run. Thats a no brainer. On my rifles i have not staked the buffer tube retaining nut, some say its gotta have it, i have built 20 or 30+, and never had one work loose unstaked, if you properly tighten it. I think milspec is to stake it, however I have never had the need. Staking makes it more difficult to wrench on it if you need to disassemble the firearm, as others stated. The gas key definately needs staking, and all mine are staked, correctly. Ruger must have had a worker preoccupied with other things on that friday, or monday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was bit worried so I tore mine down today and found them all to be intact, now don't flame me as I'm new to AR's, I do believe that Ruger test fires each firearm before shipment, will an AR fire properly with 2 missing?

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
I was bit worried so I tore mine down today and found them all to be intact, now don't flame me as I'm new to AR's, I do believe that Ruger test fires each firearm before shipment, will an AR fire properly with 2 missing?
No not likely, without the adequate number of rings its likely that it would not cycle completely, maybe not unlock the bolt from the barrel extension, or it could possibly turn the rifle into a single shot. Just a theory.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have read that they will function with only one ring, but have never tried it myself to verify.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts